• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    I am fixing to retire and already spend too much time in front of TV and on computer. I need to spend more time in my woods. I know turkey season and mushroom season almost here, but I need more. Is there anything illegal or a reason why I should not hunt ground squirrels. Thanks for any reply.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    .22 shorts out of my dad's old BL-22 was fantastic chipmunk medicine...

We had lots of timber landscaping at that house that letting chimmunks go unchecked would've caused major damage. Plus a walk-out basement that we also couldn't afford to have them make their way in. Having a cat or two around really helped.

I miss living there - though I'm sure that I was violating the covenants by discharging that rifle. I blame the ignorance on being a middle-school and high-school student.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The best, most economical method to hunt them is with a decent air rifle.
    Don't be tempted to use a cheap BB gun or an underpowered pump gun.
    Make it a decent one capable of launching a good .177 caliber pellet (roundnose seems to do best) at least 700 fps, or (much better) a .22 pellet at the same minimum speed.
    You can shoot much more cheaply, you're not captive to all the panic buying, especially with .22 ammo lately, and it's considerably quieter.
    Go for fuse box (head shot) primarily, or at least aim for the boiler room (heart shot).

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I second the air rifle. I have killed a fair share of squirrels in my young life with a air rifle. Not so loud and get the job done. I was living with my mother then, she had a beautiful garden. But the pests liked her flower bed. All of a sudden, I found myself had a job to to. Got a RWS .177 are rifle with one barrel cork. Sent the pellets at 1,100 fps. Never missed one and threw their bodies down the hills for other to eat.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Third for the air rifle. I have cleaned a couple of rabbits and muskrats with one. The muskrats I took at approx 30 yards though I have hit them at about 60 yards just did not kill them. More of a big sting.

An air rifle will make good work on a chippy and or squirrel.

Good luck and keep
    us posted

Top Bottom