• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I have a .22WMR my Dad has a .17hmr either would work perfect for you and keep you in your budget . I have shot my .22WMR out to 200 yards with pretty consistent results and with the new Hornandy Critical defense it will absolutely destroy small critters. The .17 is a little hotter and shoots flatter but I prefer the extra weight in regards to bullet choices of the .22 vs the .17

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'd vote for the .22WMR as well. A plain savage bolt rifle w/accutrigger is easy to find and not too expensive, put a 2-7 vortex on it with some leupold rifleman rings, a sling and a couple hundred rounds of ammo and you can still be in under $400 and it will get the job done.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    .204 Ruger bolt gun.
    Howa 1500 was my choice.
    Just a tad out of his price range... :D

IMHO, .223 is going to be the cheapest in the long run (ammo availability, prices, selection)...

If you can't afford a lower end bolt-action maybe look at a break-action like an H&R (not sure if they make these in .223).

.17 will also do quite a bit of damage but it's very vulnerable to falling off quickly at longer ranges because of the extremely light bullet weight.

Stay away from less common calibers and wildcats, they tend to be expensive.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    IMHO, .223 is going to be the cheapest in the long run (ammo availability, prices, selection)...

If you can't afford a lower end bolt-action maybe look at a break-action like an H&R (not sure if they make these in .223).

.17 will also do quite a bit of damage but it's very vulnerable to falling off quickly at longer ranges because of the extremely light bullet weight.

Stay away from less common calibers and wildcats, they tend to be expensive.

Without retyping it, this would be my suggestion too. I would probably lean more toward the .223 though due to the down fall of the .17 listed above.

I've got a savage axis with a bushnell 3-9x40 and gave $320+tax. The Ruger americans are similar in price as well and similar quality. The .17 hmr would be a little cheaper to purchase though and ammo is cheaper too.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If you are suggesting a mosin that would take him right back to 22lr distance.
    7.62x54R. I like this suggestion. Well within the budget. Ammo is cheap. More than enough power. Way more. As far as accuracy, I thought mine was very accurate. To bad Vasily Zaytsev wasn't still alive. We could ask him how accurate the 7.62x54R is. Most of the guys I used to know were really big fans of the .22-250 for ground hogs. They had a contest years ago to see who could get the most tails. My friend had 167. He used .225 Win. mostly as well as .22-250. The guy that won used a .22-250. If it were me, on a budget, I would go with the Stevens bolt action in .223 with a Redfield 3x9x40. That set up cost me well under $400 and works good on cats too. Gotta save the bunnies till fall, so I can exercise the Beagles.:D

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I absolutely love my savage axis in .223 for groundhogs. I have killed 12 in 3 years with it. I havent missed one yet. I use plastic tipped ammo that enters but never comes out. none have taken another step after being shot either. I bought mine new for 289 without scope then dropped a hundred on a decent scope the store suggested. they even mounted it and bore sighted the rifle for me. I bought mine from Honey Creek Tackle in Bargersville.

picture.php

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Lots of great advice.

Growing up I basically learned how to shoot by targeting these pesky critters every spring and summer on the family farm. I hate to say it now but the coyote population has gotten so rampant that the ground hogs are all but non existent around the farm.

Back then I was armed with a Rem Nylon 66/open sights and must have killed enough to fill the back of a pick up. Having access to a lot more choices these days I think if I were taking shots within 100 yards I would go for the 17 hmr or 22 mag. The 22 would sure enough kill one but you would get a lot of run offs where they got back to their den. I think the precision of the 17hmr or power of the 22 mag would be perfect for shots less than 100 yards with mainly drt (dead right there) shots if you do your part.

Longer distances I would be pretty partial to the 204 Ruger. Ammo is a little more pricier than 223, but not by a ton plus you can find it even in an ammo panic.

Bottom line, as long as you have plenty of targets, just about anything you choose will make for a great time.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    For a great walking rifle, .223 is hard to beat. If looking at gun shows to keep within your budget, 22 Hornet and the Classic .222 would also be on my list to consider. Of the three, the .223 will be the easiest to find ammo for. My Kimber 84 .223 with a Leupold 12X has racked up a slew of WV groundhogs...Love it.

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    I've been using a Marlin 25 mag. for 13 years and with the cheap scope, I can hit anything I can see with my eyes. Paid $130 used and it gets the job done will.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I used to use a 7mm rem mag on hogs, simply because it was my only long range rifle! Now, I am much more practical...I use my remington 700 chambered in .308! (Could use my AR, but it's more fun to drop em at 300+ yards with the .308!)
    If $400ish is your budget, I'd buy a used Remington 700, chambered in whatever, hopefully with a scope! You can upgrade the scope later, but you'll never regret buying a Remington 700!

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I use a Marlin 25MN 22WMR with a Nikon 3-9x50. Headshots at 75yds, easy peasy. I tried to sell it a few months ago but with no takers. I rather like this rifle, but it only gets use on the occasional yote or whistlepig...
    22WMR is pretty effective under 100yds, IMO...

Top Bottom