• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I got this one just after noon today. It was behind some of the out buildings trying real hard to find something green to eat.

I got it with a .223 loaded with a 55gr. HP Sierra bullet. The bullet went in the hind end and exited the shoulder. It ran zero inches.

This will teach him to predict an early spring when he knows darn well it’s going to snow the end of March.

Has anyone else been getting any groundhogs? Post your pics.

DSCF1146-B_zps6bfb79e9.jpg

DSCF1149-B_zpsc89f4115.jpg

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    I plan on taking one down this weekend as its already been digging the hell outta the back of my horse barn. Last thing I need is a horse breaking its leg stepping through one of their holes. They are definitely out and about.

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    none in 2013, yet. but 2012 was a pretty good year; i zapped about 10 of the little buggers. i like to sneak up on them and hit 'em with a .45! night, night.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    Ok since you brought it up... Has anyone tasted groundhog before? And don't say it tastes like chicken! I've always wondered if they tasted decent or not. Since they are strictly herbivores it seems to reason they wouldn't be horrible. I personally wouldn't touch something like a possum after seeing what they'll choke down but a groundhog...maybe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copied:

Mostly herbivorous, groundhogs primarily eat wild grasses and other vegetation, including berries and agricultural crops, when available.[3] Groundhogs also eat grubs, grasshoppers, insects, snails and other small animals, but are not as omnivorous as many other Sciuridae. Like squirrels, they also have been observed sitting up eating nuts such as shagbark hickory, but unlike squirrels, do not bury them for future use.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got this one just after noon today. It was behind some of the out buildings trying real hard to find something green to eat.

I got it with a .223 loaded with a 55gr. HP Sierra bullet. The bullet went in the hind end and exited the shoulder. It ran zero inches.

This will teach him to predict an early spring when he knows darn well it’s going to snow the end of March.

Has anyone else been getting any groundhogs? Post your pics.

DSCF1146-B_zps6bfb79e9.jpg

DSCF1149-B_zpsc89f4115.jpg

Nice little rifle ! :)

dusty711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    New Albany on the river
    Ok since you brought it up... Has anyone tasted groundhog before? And don't say it tastes like chicken! I've always wondered if they tasted decent or not. Since they are strictly herbivores it seems to reason they wouldn't be horrible. I personally wouldn't touch something like a possum after seeing what they'll choke down but a groundhog...maybe.
    I have a friend that says they are great on the grill, I told him to invite me next grilling.....I will report back then.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

About 30 years ago I went to a cook out and the guy had ground hog shredded up and made into a sloppy joe type dish. There was some grease floating on top of the pan but other than that it was pretty tasty from what I remember

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Got My first one of the year! Hit him right between his teeth. Shot with blastic tip HPR .223. out of Savage Axis. It was also a left handed shot because of my positioning I had to shoot with my off hand. Hopefully many more to follow.
    picture.php

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I used to go to northern Ohio where there used to be lots of ground hogs. I would keep the legs of the smaller ones and cook them for the guys at a 3D Archery shoot..they loved them..but anything free, and hot to eat outdoors is usually great. The goundhogs only eat the best stuff are really quite tasty, but now days they are nearly an endangered species in my area as the coyotes and bobcats have cleaned them out.

Top Bottom