• ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My opinion:

If you have a group that talks about this stuff, but does nothing, limit the discussion of preparations to social-level discourse and do not discuss any details of your own preparations. If they ask, just smile and change the subject.

If they're not serious now, it's not likely that you can trust or rely on them in an emergency situation where they are not prepared. I don't think you can fix that.

If you want to build a group, start with one person. Not a small group, one person (perhaps including their immediate family as well). Find someone you think you can trust overall and build a relationship with them if one does not already exist. It doesn't matter whether or not the person is currently interested or involved in preparing for emergencies or if they have interest in guns or anything else as long as they are not against any of those things. When you believe you can rely on them, ask them if they want to collaborate with you on preparations. Start small and if it blossoms, you have won. After you are comfortable with your new prepping ally, raise the subject of adding one more person. Keep in mind that now you and your ally have to both be on board with the addition and you have to both mesh with them and most importantly, the three of you have to mesh as a group. Repeat the process you did with your first ally.

In my opinion, trustworthiness and reliability are absolutely the most critically important factors. They are far more important than skills or gear or supplies. Those can be learned and acquired at will. You either have trust or you can build it, but you can't but it or borrow it.

Excellent advice! As it is, there is one person I would truly rely on who is close enough to make a difference. Not only is he a close neighbor and a close friend, he has been a close neighbor here since my great-grandmother lived in this house when he moved here as a young man. I have a few other friends who are not in the most geographically convenient locations I trust both in capability and integrity. There are others I would welcome if they make it this far based not so much on participation as the things they have done to make the preparedness I have managed possible either through supplying me with skills I learned from them or otherwise making the means available.

At the end of the day, there are few who really take this seriously. Some honestly believe that 'This is America, that can't happen here' BS, others simply believe that just because it hasn't happened, it necessarily isn't going to, much like the ones who have engaged in unsafe gun handling practices who still don't believe it can happen even after blowing a hole through their own hands, and others yet who live in denial that it could happen because they are not psychologically capable of dealing with serious consideration of the thought. Last but not least, there are those like the ones who are the subject of the thread who don't really take it seriously as evidenced by their actions, but on the other hand pay a little lip service, like to talk a good game over a beer, and pretend like they are doing something other than justifying to themselves buying an extra gun or two.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is easy to answer. The cut has already began. Right now you should be cutting people off who don't measure up. Turning people away now and cutting them out of your life is ok. They still have a safe place to go or hopefully get ***** slapped by the reality fairy (you) and choose to get their asses in gear RT. Don't waste your time with people who won t help,themselves no matter what. It will get,you and yours killed when the poo really does hit the fan. Turn people away now.
    If you have to motivate people to want to live right now when preparing is easy then how hard do you think it's gonna be when it's hard and people are going through the harshest things theyve ever experienced or dreamed in nightmares.
    If you can't flip the switch now then you definitely wont be able to do it when a starving naked family shows up to your door or bug out location post shtf

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is easy to answer. The cut has already began. Right now you should be cutting people off who don't measure up. Turning people away now and cutting them out of your life is ok. They still have a safe place to go. Don't waste your time with people who won t help,themselves no matter what. It will get,you and yours killed when the poo really does hit the fan. Turn people away now.
    If you have to motivate people to want to live right now when preparing is easy then how hard do you think it's gonna be when it's hard?
    If you can't flip the switch now then you definitely wont be able to do it when a starving naked family shows up to your door or bug out location post shtf

Very well said. If they can't play dodgeball in PE with the second-graders, how in the universe are they going to survive on the varsity football team?

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Yeah, I am agreeing with what I am reading. I am moving toward exiting the group. Sucks tough as the guys are good guys just not willing to do anything.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    That would really suck to leave such a group. It is hard enough to find people to trust.
    But, you got to do what you got to do. You don't want to be the only one prepared with "friends" knocking at the door.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nothing wrong with keeping your "group" just a networking thing. Have dinner once a month and discuss local and other issues.

There are always gonna be folks who want to do "stuff" and others who are content to discuss goings on. I wouldn't necessarily throw anyone away. Never know when they might be your answer? Or maybe the one they bring next month will turn into your new training partner, fishing/hunting buddy, etc. Maybe they'll be the one to bring you their extra tomatoes, peaches, eggs, etc.

Our group has went different directions, but we meet every month and everyone is welcome. Some come, some don't often. Some of us train, some of us shoot, some garden and put up. Hardly anything we do as a group involves everyone. We discuss accordingly.

Years ago our group wanted to meet on the weekends and shoot. I was the outsider then, already having another committed group I met with on the weekends to shoot. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nothing wrong with keeping your "group" just a networking thing. Have dinner once a month and discuss local and other issues.

There are always gonna be folks who want to do "stuff" and others who are content to discuss goings on. I wouldn't necessarily throw anyone away. Never know when they might be your answer? Or maybe the one they bring next month will turn into your new training partner, fishing/hunting buddy, etc. Maybe they'll be the one to bring you their extra tomatoes, peaches, eggs, etc.

Our group has went different directions, but we meet every month and everyone is welcome. Some come, some don't often. Some of us train, some of us shoot, some garden and put up. Hardly anything we do as a group involves everyone. We discuss accordingly.

Years ago our group wanted to meet on the weekends and shoot. I was the outsider then, already having another committed group I met with on the weekends to shoot. :dunno:

Good points.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Good points. The only thing I see is that one should become more circumspect about those people. After all, I don't want someone casually interested without the motivation to put any work into it himself (i.e., not buying food or the means to produce it, ammunition, medical supplies, extra stuff that wears out, means to generate heat without Vectren's participation) to know what I have on inventory and make the assumption that there is enough for him to chisel a living out of it while he buys a new flat screen that covers the entire wall behind it, a speed boat, buys his son a new sports car, or whatever.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good points. The only thing I see is that one should become more circumspect about those people. After all, I don't want someone casually interested without the motivation to put any work into it himself (i.e., not buying food or the means to produce it, ammunition, medical supplies, extra stuff that wears out, means to generate heat without Vectren's participation) to know what I have on inventory and make the assumption that there is enough for him to chisel a living out of it while he buys a new flat screen that covers the entire wall behind it, a speed boat, buys his son a new sports car, or whatever.

Folks eventually get the idea. Especially when you gracefully make it clear that you aren't their bailout plan. You also can volunteer info as much or as little as is appropriate.

You won't have to say it they will. "When the SHTF, I'm coming to your place."
    Answer, "What are you bringing to justify your entry?" Gold, guns, ammo, skills? How will you pay for the extremely valuable food meant for my family?
    Also, "What are you bringing that will drag us down, that cannot produce the labor to pay their way?" Kid's, pets, parents?

Can you run a carbine effectively? Proof? We'll need guards, sentries and scouts out on the fronts to alert for attackers.
    How 'bout a shovel? We'll need folks to do the hard physical labor stuff also. Lotta holes to be dug among other things.

Wood cut, laundry done manually, food plot plowed by hand. All things that will need to be done to replenish the preps I have had the foresight to put up for me and mine.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Folks eventually get the idea. Especially when you gracefully make it clear that you aren't their bailout plan. You also can volunteer info as much or as little as is appropriate.

You won't have to say it they will. "When the SHTF, I'm coming to your place."
    Answer, "What are you bringing to justify your entry?" Gold, guns, ammo, skills? How will you pay for the extremely valuable food meant for my family?
    Also, "What are you bringing that will drag us down, that cannot produce the labor to pay their way?" Kid's, pets, parents?

Can you run a carbine effectively? Proof? We'll need guards, sentries and scouts out on the fronts to alert for attackers.
    How 'bout a shovel? We'll need folks to do the hard physical labor stuff also. Lotta holes to be dug among other things.

Wood cut, laundry done manually, food plot plowed by hand. All things that will need to be done to replenish the preps I have had the foresight to put up for me and mine.

We are thinking in a very similar way here. One additional category I would include even if they brought little or nothing in hand is that small group of people who have made a significant contribution to enabling my ability to prepare. For example, a former employer without whom I would have had neither the ability to earn the necessary money and would be lacking a number of critical skills comes to mind, which I have because he chose to help me grow rather than hire someone else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are thinking in a very similar way here. One additional category I would include even if they brought little or nothing in hand is that small group of people who have made a significant contribution to enabling my ability to prepare. For example, a former employer without whom I would have had neither the ability to earn the necessary money and would be lacking a number of critical skills comes to mind, which I have because he chose to help me grow rather than hire someone else.

That is an area of choice one has to make for themselves. I have not tied my wagon to any one individual at that level so no real issues here.
    My problem would be family. They all know we are prepared for what I deem short term survival. That is a time frame that we can fill with existing storage space/funds. The head count I have in our equation has set that time span. Also available space. That is another limiting factor.
    Depending on the situation be it natural disaster or man made insanity will set how we respond/share/help others.
    Those factors will also set our path of staying in place or fleeing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    EOTWAWKI is descriptive, the world you see around you will not exist 2 months after whatever it is happens. A set of survivors will still be there and perhaps a new community arise from them. Your decisions abilities and preparations will see whether or not your family is among them. Situations short of that give you more options and decisions. If it's obviously going to be temporary you can afford to be more forgiving of others who are not ready.

There will remain the eternal struggle between those who will do for them and theirs and those who just want to take.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There will remain the eternal struggle between those who will do for them and theirs and those who just want to take.

And, when the numbers of takers far exceeds the number of preppers, then it will quickly become socially acceptable, even encouraged, to take from the preppers, and to punish the preppers for not "sharing".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A good movie about what this could look like, say if China took control of our economy and turned us in a very short time into a 3rd world police state is Dragon Day.

One day you wake up and every electronic device you own has a yes or no question on it, do you pledge allegiance to the new order. If not you get no access to food, bank accounts, work, fuel/electricity, food, water...you get the picture. It's set out west so the water part is pretty important.

I still question my friends who live out west. I asked a cousin who lives in Phoenix, " you know that if the power goes out you're living in a city of half a million people with no access to fresh water?" He just shrugs and says it's a great town. I just shrug and say "Good luck with that." He probably has a weeks worth of food in the house, maybe, but he's got a custom bike, twin turbo Porsche...priorities man.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    "BUT".......if you had preps would not the new overlords come and relieve you of them.

I'm sure they would try. By then every weapon I own would be loaded and staged with layered defensive positions built. The family that shoots together has interlocking fields of fire.

I am under no illusions of long term success against large numbers of organized foes but it does not mean I won't try...and I have had some experience in this area.

If it is my destiny to fall surrounded by my foes with my sword flashing in the sun...well many who know me would say that's fitting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sure they would try. By then every weapon I own would be loaded and staged with layered defensive positions built. The family that shoots together has interlocking fields of fire.

I am under no illusions of long term success against large numbers of organized foes but it does not mean I won't try...and I have had some experience in this area.

If it is my destiny to fall surrounded by my foes with my sword flashing in the sun...well many who know me would say that's fitting.

Yes, numbers do matter.
    While obviously not as experienced in the real world applications as you I have had a bit of training and long discussions with those who are.

We have no illusions of standing against an onslaught of a trained and determined group. But against the locals it would be sustainable.

Top Bottom