• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mheymann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    My girl friend always tells me she wishes she grew up in the 60s/70s. She thinks the styles, cars, overall lifestyle was so much better then they are now. Does anyone who lived through the 60s/70s agree?

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    If you remember the 70's you weren't really there. :D

Honestly, I loved the 60's-70's, but I was a child-teen then and life was a lot more simple.

The music was certainly better! This stuff that is out now sucks! Uncle Ted, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, BTO, CCR, etc, etc, etc.

BTW, Disco sucks too. :laugh:

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The 70's were horrid! Polyester? Crappy cars (at least after about 73)? Disco?

Yeah, I'm glad I was too young to care during that decade. Of course, the 80's and 90's weren't much better!

For style, I'd say the 50's. For cars, the 60's, and for music, well, I'm a hair band kind of guy.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Watergate, Viet Nam, Presidential resignation, The rise of OPEC and gas prices, Patty Hurst, Bank Robberies, Bombings, Hyperinflation, Jimmy Carter, Iran, Hostages, GRID....turned to AIDS, Elvis dead, John Wayne dead, Bing Crosby dead....yeah, a real blast.

50's were grease, 60's were grass, 70's were gross.

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was a teenager in the 70s, people often remember things better than they were. The styles were not better, in fact many of them are repeated now such as the hip hugger jeans.

I do not think the cars were better, they may have looked better but they were inferior in many ways. A car needed to be tuned every 5000 miles and have all the plugs replaced, cars now need new plugs and wires every 100,000 miles. I do not miss doing all those tune ups.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I prefer the teens to be exact. 1910-1920-ish. Back then a man could have a handsome waxed moustache and be the coolest cat in town. Also, the Model T cars came in one color, evil assault weapon black, my favorite color.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I prefer the teens to be exact. 1910-1920-ish. Back then a man could have a handsome waxed moustache and be the coolest cat in town. Also, the Model T cars came in one color, evil assault weapon black, my favorite color.

The Thompson.....and no NFA.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I think the late 40's early 50's would be fun to grow up in. Too much hair in the 70's for me.

BigBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Greentown,In
    I grew up in the 60s and 70s, Best thing I remember was you could by nice 50s,60s70s cars cheep! I had a 1972 Z28 Camaro and a 1970 Ply Fury Sport coupe. Fury cost me $100 with blown up mtr,replaced it with another383 with 4 bbl. seemed gas was cheaper back then for the time.Bought the Z28 for $1700 in 1977 and it would pull the wheels off the ground! Loved those cars! I remember the oil crisis but it never affected anyone i remember around here. I liked the 60s and 70s, the 80s sucked except for the birth of my son.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    The style in the 70's was grotesque color combinations and plastic. Not a good era for style.

Nail on the head right here.... +1

My family photo taken about 1974/1975 shows all my sibs in pinks and purples and butterfly collars. :noway:

Not to mention the dutch hair cuts...lol

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I miss those times. Not so much the products or the styles but more the way of life. You could walk the streets at night and not be afraid of being robbed or murdered. The people seemed friendlier back then. Kids played outside and we walked or rode our bikes everywhere. Later I worked at Steak N Shake and it was just like American Graffiti on Friday and Saturday nights! Hot cars, cold shakes, cute girls and an occasional cold beer. Lots of racing and an occasional fight but no knives or guns being waved around. Often times the guys that fought would be friends by nights end. If you had $10 on Friday you had it made as gas, food and a movie were cheap endeavors. I joined the Navy in 74' and by the time I got home everything had started to change, and not for the better. That area looks like a foreign country now.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I like the cars of the 30s-50s and some into the 60s. Music was better in the 20s-50s. Style was better/more simple. The change over from everything going from black and white to color would have really been weird though.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Watergate, Viet Nam, Presidential resignation, The rise of OPEC and gas prices, Patty Hurst, Bank Robberies, Bombings, Hyperinflation, Jimmy Carter, Iran, Hostages, GRID....turned to AIDS, Elvis dead, John Wayne dead, Bing Crosby dead....yeah, a real blast.

50's were grease, 60's were grass, 70's were gross.

Yes, this and drugs were a real problem. We moved away from the pot and booze and people started tripping on acid and a lot worse.
    Charles Manson had just finished starting his Helter Skelter and people were freaking about how the hippies had turned evil. Lots of cults, lots of nuts ....

It's amazing how we forget.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    One of the things that stick out to me is the fact that back then as a kid I could take off on a summer morning and spend all day doing who knows what and no one would think anything of it. No phone, no texting, no contact at all. I just had to be home by dinner if I wanted to eat or be home by dark if I didn't want to get in trouble.

Nowadays, if we can't be in constant contact we have to be worried about what may have happened.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I like the cars of the 30s-50s and some into the 60s. Music was better in the 20s-50s. Style was better/more simple. The change over from everything going from black and white to color would have really been weird though.

Yep! Many of my childhood photos are black and white. I always get to hear all the "old man" comments whenever the kids see them.

Top Bottom