• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a gsg5 an that thing is a boatload of fun, an will absolutly eat any bulk I put through it, Ive had it almost a year now and it has never failed me yet. Only down side to them is the price on the mags

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Just my $0.02 about GSG-5 reliability, I've had 0 issues with it. I also break mine down every 3,000 rounds into every piece and give it a really good cleaning.

I've put probably 20,000 rounds through mine, if not more and it doesn't miss a beat.

Mine was the only 22lr I have ever had that made the 2nd worse 22 I ever had, a P22, look reliable.

I wish like hell it had been reliable, but it was not meant to be.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Mine was the only 22lr I have ever had that made the 2nd worse 22 I ever had, a P22, look reliable.

I wish like hell it had been reliable, but it was not meant to be.

Sorry to hear that... wish you wouldn't have had the problems. They are so much fun, but I know how 22's are sometimes. I will say mine has a horrible time with Remington ammo, but so does every other 22 I shoot. Heck, there were some cases the cartridge wouldn't fire out of a single shot 22/410 over under. Since I've been sticking to Federal and Winchester bulk, it just eats it up. I go through a bulk box of 550 just about every weekend.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Sorry to hear that... wish you wouldn't have had the problems. They are so much fun, but I know how 22's are sometimes. I will say mine has a horrible time with Remington ammo, but so does every other 22 I shoot. Heck, there were some cases the cartridge wouldn't fire out of a single shot 22/410 over under. Since I've been sticking to Federal and Winchester bulk, it just eats it up. I go through a bulk box of 550 just about every weekend.

My Tactical Solutions AR upper eats it all, even though they do not recommend Remington-It has to do with the fact that the bullet is not seated firmly, like other brands-it still feeds and shucks it.

I wanted the GSG-5 to work...:dunno:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    i probably would have bought one instid of my mp 15-22 if the fake can had threaded up like a real can.

Yeah, that part really does suck. It doesn't bother me as much anymore as it did when I first got it. When I first pulled it off I didn't expect the barrel to be that long, but that was before I realized it would be considered an SBR :):

If I had the money I'd just have the barrel cut down and threaded for a real suppressor, but until then, it will just have to do I guess...

My Tactical Solutions AR upper eats it all, even though they do not recommend Remington-It has to do with the fact that the bullet is not seated firmly, like other brands-it still feeds and shucks it.

I wanted the GSG-5 to work...:dunno:

Is that the problem? Man, I bought 2 bulk boxes of that crap until I finally stopped. I'd have 5-6 failure to feed's per mag, then the occasional 1 or 2 that wouldn't even fire.

Anyways, I'll let people get back to the main subject of the thread. Didn't mean to hijack it lol.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    For something different how about a Sig 522? I bought one from a follow INGO member last June, and have run over 2000+ rounds through it with no problem. I found a Eotech clone off evilbay for $85 and it has worked fine. The rifle will group just under 5.5" at 50yards without fail with Federal bulk pak. It is my fav-o-rite "fun gun" :rockwoot:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have the Colt 22 AT and it's a blast. I know they get a lot of bad rep, but I've had no issues with mine. Other owners have told me the same thing, no issues with theirs.
    It's pretty accurate too.
    They also feel like the real AR'S.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For something different how about a Sig 522? I bought one from a follow INGO member last June, and have run over 2000+ rounds through it with no problem. I found a Eotech clone off evilbay for $85 and it has worked fine. The rifle will group just under 5.5" at 50yards without fail with Federal bulk pak. It is my fav-o-rite "fun gun" :rockwoot:

thats just under 11 moa, that would drive me nuts

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    The GSG-5 SD won out. It is now in my possession.:rockwoot:

I'm filling out the Form 1 this afternoon to SBR it. Once that is in the system then I'm going Silencer shopping down at 21st.:D

Got some other mods planned as well after I do some shooting and make sure all checks out A-OK.:yesway:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    The mag it came with had the block to make it 10 rd capacity. I tore it apart, stretched the spring and it holds 24 now.:D I tore the gun down and put a charge handle buffer in (parts from a faucet repair kit of all things) and it took the metal slap out of the charge handle which can be hard on them. Then last night I ran about 200 rounds of Federal bulk ammo through the gun. Not a single hiccup the entire time. Going to be a fun gun.:rockwoot:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    If you have mag problems with the GSG5 contact them. I did and they told me how to fix the mag problem and also sent me 2 new ones. They had a few issues with a run or two of them. With that said the GSG5 is a sweet little gun. Mixing it up is good :rockwoot:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Congrats on your new purchase Dec! I've had a mag problem as well, the one it came with ended up sticking really badly. Eventually it literally fell apart. The screws got stripped somehow and it just fell apart when I pulled it out for the last time. Needed extra mags anyways and found a pretty good deal online for them.

Results for GSG-5 Parts:Mags and Clamps Here you can buy 4X 22 round mags for $100, but if ATI will send you some then that's awesome! I will have to give them a call as well.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Here it is after a few mods, most of which can't be seen.

Charge handle buffer
    Complete change out of all screws and loctite everything
    HK take down pins
    Foam filled the stock
    Milled out the bottom of the handguard to accept a Magpul rail and then put on an AFG.
    Bought some spare mags and a retractable stock (though I might save that for another project)

500 or so rounds to date without a single hick up. A very fun gun.

GSG-5SD.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Congrats!!!!

As you have found, the GSG-5 is a lot of fun to shoot.

Also as you have found it is a ton of fun to customize!

ENJOY!!!

papakevin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Congrats on the GSG. I have one + a Sig 522. Find the Sig is good for more accurate shooting (like Appleseed), while the GSG is just a fun gun to pull out and shoot at the range.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I was going to Form 1 this gun to SBR it. But I scored a sweet deal on a GSG-5PK that I just couldn't pass up. So my intent now is to SBR the new GSG-5PK and leave the rifle GSG-5SD as is. These guns are so much fun.:yesway:

Top Bottom