• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Now that Spring is almost here, it is time to begin the march toward 20k rounds down the pipe of my GSG1911. This is an addendum to my 7000 Round Report from a few months ago.

I can report that even after more than 10,000 round range, this GSG1911 can still shoot lights out all day long. The 100-shot targets below were shot today at 15-yards, and it even surprised me that these groups are no bigger than when the GSG had 1,000, 5,000 or even 7,000 rounds through it. I will try to keep adding to this report for the next couple of months to show how the GSG holds up to 20,000 rounds of abuse.

100 shots at 15-yards:
    gsgpost10k100shots.jpg

100 shots at 15-yards:
    gsgpost10k100shots2.jpg

GSG1911 Round Count Chart:
    10628rounds.jpg

Last edited:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Very cool ,always good to know info in case someone asks the durability of a particular gun.you have more patience than me,I hate counting

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You're sure having alot of fun with that 22 LR:rockwoot:

The fun in shooting this much ammo is being able to work on skills like point shooting and speed drills that would be too costly with a center-fire handgun... And yes, I am having fun. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I absolutely love the GSG 1911. A buddy of mine has one and we shot steel targets with it for about 45 minutes while waiting for another friend to show up to the range. It fed everything we put through it reliably. I'm hoping for a bit more diversity in their 1911 series (maybe a railed one?) for nothing other than aesthetics. Maybe a more stainless looking one?

I guess I should wait until they catch up on the regular models first.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Now for something completely different...

I had the idea to see what kind of 15-yard group I would get by running an entire box of Federal bulk ammo at a single target. The pic below shows what 550 rounds looks like if you focus on only one point for a couple of hours. In a word... Blurry.

This box of ammo has allowed the GSG1911 to pass the 11K mark, and things are still running just fine. (Current count - 11,178 rounds fired + 200 unregistered rounds)

550roundsgsg1911.jpg

More to come...

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    10,000 rounds of .22LR is roughly $300. 10,000 rounds of .45 ACP using WWB is roughly $3,500. Gotta love the economy of a GSG while keeping the fun factor of a 1911 style gun. I am nowhere near 10,000 on mine, but I am probably closing in on 2,500 or better. Very few failures when using fed bulk, a few more when using remington garbage ammo. Love the GSG.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    This is awesome, and why I joinded these forums, I would have never known about this little gem, it may move toward the top of my list, behind a AR and a .45 1911 it might surpass the .45

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Anything new to report?

Funny you should ask...

Right around the time that I finished 13,378 rounds fired, I realized that my groups started to open up a bit. This usually means that the barrel retention screw needs to be tightened, as it can back out from time to time, especially if any lubricants were on it when it was last tightened. (This is the screw on the right side of the frame that helps keep the barrel locked tight. It will not keep the firearm from functioning, but it does make it more accurate.) I retrieved my Allen wrench and gave it a little righty-tighty, and found that it just kept turning. Upon inspection, I found that the threads on the frame had finally stripped, after countless field stripping and cleaning. I may have over tightened it a few times as well.

A call to ATI resulted in a RMA number to send it in for repair.

I have to say that I am not at all disappointed in the durability of the GSG1911. With 3 parts breakages, and more than 13,000 rounds fired, I can only say that my GSG1911 has had a rough life so far.

Breakages:
    • Broken barrel bushing - This was the first-gen bushing that has since been replaced with a higher quality bushing on all later models.
    • Broken firing pin - The firing pin on the GSG is probably more prone to breaking than a standard center-fire firing pin. It is actually a complexly shaped piece of metal, and I give it kudos for lasting almost 10,000 rounds.
    • Stripped barrel screw threading - I do field strip my firearms more than many shooters, and I am known for applying a bit more torque than needed sometimes.

I will give everyone an update once I get my GSG1911 back from ATI. I do have to say that ATI has been fantastic to deal with. The only question I ever get when I call is, "how can we help". I would put them up with Springfield and S&W in terms of top-notch service.

13,378 rounds fired:
    13378rounds.jpg

Last edited:

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the update and would love to hear more when you get it back. I put the first 40 rounds, 20 Fed Bulk, 10 CCI mini Mag. 10 Stingers with out a problem. Hoping it will run great on Fed Bulk. Will put it on Paper this weekend and shoot it against the Rugers, Brownings at a steel shoot in a couple of weeks. Thanks Jim

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    That is impressive. for the money that seems like a really good value for a quality firearm. Im currently toying with getting a 1911. Thanks for the info.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I really enjoy mine. Every once and a while it will choke on a Federal HP, but otherwise it has been flawless. While lighter than my 1911s, it also has most of the ergos and that makes it very comfortable to shoot for long periods of time.

Top Bottom