• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I've only previously used my pop up gound blind when hunting pronghorn antelope but thought I would set it up this year for whitetail. As I get older I feel less and less comfortable and confident sitting 16-20 ft up in a tree - safety harness or not. I knew the spot where I would set it - two separate fiields come together and both had this year's corn crop picked, the wooded property to the north (40 acres) is a privately owned residentce with no hunting allowed, there is a travel corridor that narrows down , and the prevailing wind would be good for most sits ! Figured I had the perfect set up location.

I went in two weeks ago and cleared away some brush, cut a shooting lane ( or two to be exact) and carrid in my camp stool, rattling horns, and decoy so I wouldn't have to carry so much in when I actually started to hunt. I sat the stand for the first time three days ago and while I had done a little interior clearing I spent the first 10 minutes getting rid of the ground leaves, sticks, and anything else that might make noise if/when I was sharing around.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. Woke up in the middle of the night ITCHING ! ! Apparently the short vines that I decided to pull up with my bare hands that were about pencil lead thickness or a little more weren't just "vines." Turns out it was Poison Ivy ! ! I now have it on my face, arms, and some places where you don't want me to describe it ! ! !

I'm about ready to try soaking in a bathtub full of oatmeal for some itch relief ! Not saying I won't be able to hunt but does take away from my ability to concentrate, that's for sure.

Anyone got got a good effective home remedy to relieve the itch and make the rash go away ? ! !

Thanks is in advance

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Ouch. I've had it bad twice. Covered my whole body. Hydrocortisone cream works well. As for home remedies, I don't have any advice. It'll run its course. It'll suck.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I meant to say inflammatory response. You know what I mean.

If you got any into your mouth, you probably need to go get a steroid shot. My mom was picking raspberries when the leaves were wet and she got it in her respiratory tract. not a good combo. Be safe...and if you don't know what something is, google is more than likely in your pocket.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I noticed a lot more poison ivy vines in the woods under the leaves this year that previous years. Luckily I didn't end up breaking out but there sure did seems to be a bunch out. Unfortunately I haven't found a good remedy to make it go away faster but I usually some calamine lotion to take some of the itch away.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It's been 55 years since I've had it. I remember sitting in the tub getting alcohol washed. Then the Calamine lotion.
    I had it EVERYWHERE. Awful summer for me. I got hit by a rattler that year too. I was glad to get back to school that fall.
    On a positive note....I know every poisonous plant and vine in the woods now.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You may want to consider washing your blind.
    And all the clothes you were wearing (coat and footwear).

I kept getting small patches on my arms, until I washed my flannel "yard shirt" that usually just stayed outside. And the arms to my recliner. The oils stay active for a LONG time.
    Hope you feel better soon!!

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I remember laying in bed itching so bad I couldn't fall asleep and the only thing that let me sleep was caking calamine lotion on it, calamine gave me the only relief.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My doctor recommended washing with Dawn dish soap to help remove the oil. If you've got a hair dryer around, I found this actually helped relieve the itching quite a bit. I would just blast it at my arms for a couple minutes and it felt much better. You could try Ivarest or one of the other similar products but they are pricey and I can't say how well they work. Good luck!

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    If you think you've been exposed to poison ivy, wash with vinegar to the exposed are, the shower and wash well. The vinegar will break up the oil from the poison ivy plant as long as you wash it before you've broke out. If you apply vinegar and don't wash after, the vinegar will actually break up the oils and help it spread so make sure YOU WASH WELL AFTER. Unfortunately once you break out it pretty much just has to run its course.

Treetoppilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Mccordsville
    A buddy of mine works for AT&T and gets into the stuff regularly when servicing drops. He provided me a product called Tecnu (from Tec Labs) - Google it. It stripes the oils away which will prevent it from spreading and really stopped it in its tracks. It really helps in "those" critical areas...

If it gets too bad, call your Doctor and request a steroid, otherwise your gonna knock your immune system down while your body heals.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    Man, that is definitely not good. I'm rather allergic and got into it up and down both legs during the summer. A trip to the doc for some prednisone and 3 weeks of covering it up with calamine lotion it finally started to go away. Be prepared for it to continue to itch even after the blisters go away.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    go to CVS ask for Zanfel. Paul Harvey used to advertise it on his radio show. best stuff goin but kinda pricecy, like 35.00 a tube. but worth it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom