• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    It seems to me his wording is conflating drills vs tests, as my understanding was that a drill is supposed to be a short course of fire that focuses on a particular aspect and high reps allow the skill to further progression whereas i understood a test to be a scored standard that tests of those aspects of skills together and shouldn't be repeated ad nauseum but limited in use. Drilling builds skills. Tests show you if the drilling us working. The FAST being a test but drawing a pair to a 3x5 a drill if repeated and analyzed throughout repetition.

But who am i to argue nomenclature with Dave Spaulding! Nobody, that's who. Plus obsession over drills and tests keeps me interested ;)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It seems to me his wording is conflating drills vs tests, as my understanding was that a drill is supposed to be a short course of fire that focuses on a particular aspect and high reps allow the skill to further progression whereas i understood a test to be a scored standard that tests of those aspects of skills together and shouldn't be repeated ad nauseum but limited in use. Drilling builds skills. Tests show you if the drilling us working. The FAST being a test but drawing a pair to a 3x5 a drill if repeated and analyzed throughout repetition.

But who am i to argue nomenclature with Dave Spaulding! Nobody, that's who. Plus obsession over drills and tests keeps me interested ;)
    Yes, you pretty much described my thoughts exactly.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Granted shooting is a motor skill over academic however. From taking a couple classes with Dave I took the article as he is against folks that study the answers for the test than taking in the info to actually LEARN.

Like the Bakersfield Qual is a Great assessment if shot cold but if your warmed up isn’t the point if that or many other assessments.

Everyone should get where I’m coming from

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    "At my former training company" is he done with Handgun Combatives?

I took several of his courses in TX.
    I took 2 classes from Dave and he is Phenomenal. He retired this year teaching 2 one week long “Legacy Classes”

And a couple years ago he had a Handgun Combatives Instructor course where he handpicked around 20 folks to pass the torch in a way.

His regular Handguns Combatives as well as Alumni FB page is still active.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    "At my former training company" is he done with Handgun Combatives?

I took several of his courses in TX.
    Dave had announced he’s doing 2 private classes this year but as far as a regular schedule he’s retired. So if you still have interest get in Handguns Combatives FB page and look for contact info if the hosts.

Top Bottom