• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I just got a Springfield XD sub compact OD 3'' .40 S&W and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with the laser max guid rod laser then have. They seem to be ver practical, and my question is one of duribility. Like all things, you get what you pay for and want to know if im paying for quality here.

PS: This is a question reguarding the las max guide rod lasers. In such, please do not tell me what kind of set up you have. I've done my research and know what I want, but as far as reviews go I trust only the average Joe.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just got a Springfield XD sub compact OD 3'' .40 S&W and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with the laser max guid rod laser then have.

I put Crimson Trace on my FS92 and loved them.

I got a new Sig 220 Elite and installed the Laser Max guide tube. IMHO is was a waste of money. I didn't like the On / Off button in my take down lever. The tube has no adjustment at all. It seemed that the dot changed POI every time I removed and re-installed the guide tube when cleaning. The front of the guide tube was getting dirty all the time and the dot got large and fuzzy from the build up of dirt/carbon.

I pulled it back out, re-installed the factory guide tube and take down lever and put the Laser Max back in the box. It's still sitting in one of my gun cabinets somewhere.

Others may have better luck, but I learned my lesson .....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I put Crimson Trace on my FS92 and loved them.

I got a new Sig 220 Elite and installed the Laser Max guide tube. IMHO is was a waste of money. I didn't like the On / Off button in my take down lever. The tube has no adjustment at all. It seemed that the dot changed POI every time I removed and re-installed the guide tube when cleaning. The front of the guide tube was getting dirty all the time and the dot got large and fuzzy from the build up of dirt/carbon.

I pulled it back out, re-installed the factory guide tube and take down lever and put the Laser Max back in the box. It's still sitting in one of my gun cabinets somewhere.

Others may have better luck, but I learned my lesson .....
    Thanks, Dave, I have never, used one but I will save my money, when these first came out, I wondered, if the end, would get dirty, my guide rod, in both of my semi autos, always do .... again, thanks .....

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I bought a g-19 used about 10 years ago that had a lasermax in it. It's seen plenty of target practice over the years and still works great. I clean the lens w/ lens cleaner. The light still lines up right with my sights. I love it. I bought batteries at radio shack last time and paid about $40. Went to Kirby risk this time and paid $2.70 for all 3. Considering getting one for my new Springfield xdm40.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm not a "laser guy," and am not a fan of the Lasermax in particular. Reasons being:

1) it replaces functional components of the gun (guide rod, takedown lever and spring)

2) activation is non-intuitive (you need to locate and press a small button to activate and deactivate the laser; can be difficult to do under extreme stress)

3) the aiming point is not user adjustable (Lasermax guarantees it to shoot within 2" of the dot at 20 yards; if it does not, you need to send your entire gun in to them so it can be adjusted)

If you must go with a laser and a Crimson Trace laser grip is available for your make/model, I find those to be a much better option.

My :twocents:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I had a lasermax on my Sig P220. The laser part worked fine - good craftsmanship, worked as designed, I just did not like the replacement piece for the on/off switch. Mine was decent about maintaining zero, but to me, there is no way to compare it to how easy the crimson trace grip works as far as the on/off switch.

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    I had the lasermax on my Glock 23. The laser worked but....

1. The laser pulsed. Some people like it, some don't. I didn't.
    2. The takedown lever activated it and was harder to use as a takedown lever.
    3. Button was in an unusual place to activate quickly.
    4. It replaced the recoil spring and seemed to wear quicker than the factory part.
    5. Non adjustable. If 3" low groups are acceptable, then you may like it.

These are just my experiences. I was grinning ear-to-ear when I got it and was even happier when I took it off.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone who offered the reviews. I myself am not fond of the crimson trace grips. And I dont want a rail monted one, as I am going for the least amount of bulk that I can. The laser is really just to help my night shooting at close range, reflex style shooting as I have the tritium sights for a little farther out. So far what I have read is they work, and alltough not adjustable, it is what I need to use inside its intended range. As for the switch, its just something I'll have to practice with untill im used to it. Thats for you imput gents.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have one on a Springfield XD and have no complaints. As posted above the lens gets dirty after 20 rounds or so. I just use packaged lens cleaners on it. Point of aim is always the same ( about an inch below the bull ) and battery life is good. I like the blinking light. It catches my eye pretty quick. I also like the fact that you can use any holster designed for your gun. A good product that I would buy again.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    In regards to the lens getting dirty and causing the dot to get fuzzy, I don't understand the complaint. It's not like you will go to the range and fire off a couple hundred rounds, reload the gun with your defensive ammo and holster up without cleaning the gun.

Seriously, it would take more than a few magazines of quality, defensive ammunition to get the lens dirty enough to obstruct the laser. If it gets so bad within one magazine, you need to switch from the cheap stuff or quit using reloads. If that is the type of ammo you use at the range for practice, just wipe it clean as you go.

Stay focused on the intended use when assessing usefulness of this or any other product.

black1705f

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Had a Lasermax in a G17 for several years and never had any problems. It was kind of a pain to get it initially installed and it did worry me shooting with it, but I never had a problem. I ended up getting rid of it because the replacement take down pin wouldn't work with Blackhawk holsters. I'd probably try the ones that go up around the grip if it's compatible with your holster setup. I've kind of gotten out lasers now.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a lasermax installed on my Sig P229. I have mixed feelings on it. I can see it coming in handy in CQB, but good night sights or muscle memory would probably be at least as good.

As far as the function of the laser, I have no complaints. I don't perceive any serious accuracy issues. Of course you'll be more accurate with your sights, but the point of this system is to avoid using them. The lense did get dirty after a couple range trips, but not nearly enough that it wasn't functional, and its easy to clean. I had no problem installing it and found it's operation simple and intuitive.

I did have a malfunction with it where the battery cap broke and the rod didn't return to it's proper position during firing. So I can't say there's no problems with reliability, but that seems to be the anomaly from what I've heard. I sent the unit into lasermax and they replaced it with a new one free of charge in under two weeks.

Basically, I don't have a problem with the device or with lasermax as a company. I'm not sure how necessary lasers are in general and can cite reliability issues though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    OP, a good laser costs what? At least couple hundred dollars? For that much money, you can afford a good training class. IMO, that's a MUCH better investment.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    In regards to the lens getting dirty and causing the dot to get fuzzy, I don't understand the complaint. It's not like you will go to the range and fire off a couple hundred rounds, reload the gun with your defensive ammo and holster up without cleaning the gun.

Seriously, it would take more than a few magazines of quality, defensive ammunition to get the lens dirty enough to obstruct the laser. If it gets so bad within one magazine, you need to switch from the cheap stuff or quit using reloads. If that is the type of ammo you use at the range for practice, just wipe it clean as you go.

Stay focused on the intended use when assessing usefulness of this or any other product.
    Why not? When I shoot at the "range", I don't clean my guns before I leave. I certainly shoot my carry gun plenty. I reload with my defensive ammo, holster up and head home. Heck, I rarely do any more cleaning than a quick wipe down and coat of oil. I'm not going to go home defenseless with a bunch of unloaded guns.

biggdevon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    I'm currently looking into lasers for my G22 .40 as well. Seems to be a common response not to use them. I don't mind the crimson trace grip models but would hate to get rid of my Hogue Grip and the non-intrusive guide rod install definitely appeal to me. I use an all leather Don Hume CC holster.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    This is an update. I decided to go with the laser, and I am happy I did. I also got a set of night sights for it. I had to draw the pistol in a defense situation when I was at a party and an man came to the party an drew a knife with the intention of stabbing a women. It was in the back yard and dark, but the night sights were working like they were supposed to. He froze up when he saw the pistol and then when he saw the laser dead center on his chest he gave up and laid on the ground till the cops arrived. Was it needed? Probably not. But was it an advantage if I had to shoot? Combined with the night sights, hell yes. At the range I can hit as far as it will go without looking down the sights. And it does not add anything to the frame, keeping it simple.

Top Bottom