• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I have been looking online for a particular model for a few weeks now. I found an individual on a board that has it for sale but they have lower post count and not much history. They are located 1000 miles from me so meeting is out of the question but they will send to FFL. I would like to know what is the best steps to take to purchase to protect myself or should I just run and wait for the next deal. I searched on INGO for similar questions but nothing matched exactly or my search skills suck. Thanks

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    If I were to make a deal like that, I would pay with a USPS money order. I believe there are some protections of the seller doesn't ship the gun or it isn't as described or something. PayPal may offer some protections as well.

I am personally kind of nervous about doing deals like that. You just don't know what you are getting into

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'd suggest:
    - Talk (phone) with him/her
    - Ask to see the item in real time and ask questions about it (skype, FaceTime, etc) before anything else. This lets you verify that it's in their possession and lets you "feel them out" when talking about the item.
    - Consider payment options that can protect buyer and seller -- Paypal might be beneficial to buyer with some built in protections (don't do it as a "gift" cause then the protections don't apply, If I remember correctly), and you'll pay a small percentage for that protection.

Is it through a site like gunbuyer/gunbroker/gunsamerica or is it through a forum??

It's a bit of a risk regardless

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    This is my first rodeo but I knew members of INGO have much more experience at this. I haven't completely made the deal yet but I wanted to get advice first. This is through a forum but a phone call is a good place to start.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm very curious about this whole "talk on the phone" kind of advice. Aside from being able to quickly answer questions, what good is it exactly? You may be able to tell something is off, if it's a scam, but more likely not. People pulling phone scams and such are generally very persuasive on the phone, which is why they do what they do. Social engineering at its finest. I've bought a gun from a private seller in another state in the past and it's easy enough to have them ship it to your FFL and use a safe payment option like a USPS money order. I believe those can be cancelled if you don't receive anything, or the gun isn't as expected. If you're unsure of the gun, have them take several more photos and send it to you. My :twocents:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The low post count and history concerns me. Ask yourself what you would do if you send the money and he disappears.

Parrthed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Charlestown
    Ive done this with a machinegun once. Had a few conversations on the phone, talked the talk to see if they really know what they were selling. Wasn't that hard to do some searching of usernames on google ( a lot of people use the same name on multiple sites) to see if everything lines up ( locations, names, ect.). You can also do a google image search to see if the images may be stolen. Have the seller send you pics with a requested item in the photos ( dollar bill, can of beer ect).

Although this is not a 100% way to protect yourself short of traveling you can get a good feel for things

Scammers are getting more and more creative these days so you have to do your due diligence and watch out. If your gut tells you something's off then trust it.

As stated above use USPS money order as well

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'm very curious about this whole "talk on the phone" kind of advice. Aside from being able to quickly answer questions, what good is it exactly? You may be able to tell something is off, if it's a scam, but more likely not. People pulling phone scams and such are generally very persuasive on the phone, which is why they do what they do. Social engineering at its finest. I've bought a gun from a private seller in another state in the past and it's easy enough to have them ship it to your FFL and use a safe payment option like a USPS money order. I believe those can be cancelled if you don't receive anything, or the gun isn't as expected. If you're unsure of the gun, have them take several more photos and send it to you. My :twocents:

There is an art/skill in being able to read people and some have it some don't. I have trouble communicating in this type of forum which is like texting (which I don't do) and I tend to come across as brass (which I'm not).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is an art/skill in being able to read people and some have it some don't. I have trouble communicating in this type of forum which is like texting (which I don't do) and I tend to come across as brass (which I'm not).

Hmm, would you say you're more pewter in real life?

:):

Unless this gun is something you have to have and can't get anywhere else - pass.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I find this post most interesting. I have bought quite a few item "pictures only" ranging from a rifle to tractors/farm equipment. Basically looked at the photos, a couple of emails, sent a USPS money order and off we went. Probably a couple of dozen times...... a short story, wanted a round baler in another state, email the guy, I asked about delivery, we agreed on price of baler with delivery. I told him I would send out a money order, he said no wait till I get there (from another state mind you) when he showed up I asked if he was concerned I wouldn't pay? He said no that if I was going to send a money order and trust him he could trust me.........but back to you, the way I look at it don't send money you can't afford to lose. I think most deals go good but you only hear about the bad ones. I don't know maybe I've been lucky. If truly concerned don't do it there will be others.

Last edited:

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    i sold a gun to a guy in florida. i sent him all my info, name , address, phone, email etc. once i received his payment and was sure it had cleared. i went to a ffl and mailed him the gun. everyone was happy.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There's an Indy1500 coming up soon. Are you sure you wouldn't find it locally at the show?

Novabeast69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    A USPS MO is the only MO that will be investigated if it is under 10000. Due to it being a Federal Money Order. Maybe a FFL local to seller YOU pick as a escrow. They hold gun you send payment to them and they do transfer? Just ideas if you want it that badly.

Top Bottom