• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    State Rep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington, who teaches at the Indiana University-Bloomington campus
    seems to view the world thru rose colored glasses where things he can't see don't exist.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is an important fight even if you are not a higher education student or have any affiliation with a college or university.

We cannot allow these "gun-free islands" to be created inside our state. Universities are extremely powerful economically and politically.

We cannot allow them to exempt themselves from the state law. We must attack the university police. They are the key to the resistance. We must demonstrate how foolish their objections are.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    This is an important fight even if you are not a higher education student or have any affiliation with a college or university.

We cannot allow these "gun-free islands" to be created inside our state. Universities are extremely powerful economically and politically.

We cannot allow them to exempt themselves from the state law. We must attack the university police. They are the key to the resistance. We must demonstrate how foolish their objections are.
    It is important for all those people who work on campuses, who have to go to a campus on business (like delivery drivers), or who have to go there for seminars. That is one of the avenues of argument that should be pursued. It is all too easy for anti gun advocates to set up the strawman that students are not responsible. It is another for them to argue that adults suddenly become irresponsible the second that they set foot on a campus.

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010

Do we start a "petition" to show just how many alumni of universities across the state carried to class in spite of each campus' policy? If we can point to a list of thousands of people who carried to college on a regular basis with no issues, in theory, it'd be difficult it say that permitted carries are the problem. Of course there may be folks who point to that as the reason it needs to be "law" to not be allowed to carry on campus.

It is important for all those people who work on campuses, who have to go to a campus on business (like delivery drivers), or who have to go there for seminars. That is one of the avenues of argument that should be pursued. It is all too easy for anti gun advocates to set up the strawman that students are not responsible. It is another for them to argue that adults suddenly become irresponsible the second that they set foot on a campus.

I'm not sure this is any different. Why would a student me magically less responsible on-campus than he/she is when off-campus?
    Then again, there's never been a lot of rationality to some of the laws that exist or are proposed.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By the text of the linked story, this is an argument over a non-entity, since the story only references "licensed handguns". Indiana doesn't license handguns, so even if "licensed handguns" were permitted on campus, the situation will not have changed one whit.

What is the true meat of the proposed bill, if such a thing is even knowable at this early stage? If it's only to allow people licensed under IC 35-47-2-1 et seq. the disposition to exercise their Art. 1, Sec. 32 rights on college campuses, then it's still a non-starter for me. How about forbidding all college campuses from acting in any adverse way against a person who is otherwise lawfully bearing arms regardless of the law under which the bearing of said arms may be regulated, i.e. long guns and non-fixed ammunition firearms a la IC 35-47-2-19, as well as licensed carry of handguns using fixed ammunition?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I've already written my state representative and urged her (Kathy Richardson) to support this as a co-sponsor. Eventually these people will see that gun-free zones are simply "killing fields" for criminals and that legally carrying persons are NOT a threat to safety. In fact, statistics show that exactly the opposite of what Mr. Bloomberg and his crony organizations say is true.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Remember, a bill to allow campus carry has been submitted. Voice your support so it can get passed!

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    A bunch of firearm bills have been introduced.

Here's a primer.

TIME TO ACT!
    Call your reps and committee chairs NOW!

800-382-9842

Find reps and senators: https://iga.in.gov/

To kill the bill for the driver license stamp showing LTCH: Author, Gutwein, Road and Transportation chair, Soliday and your rep.
    To encourage bills for campus carry, Constitutional carry and the anti "Moms Need Some Action" bill: Author Lucas, public Policy Committee Chair, Dermody and your rep.

Sample email to you rep.
    I would appreciate your efforts to kill HB1029 regarding driver license branding for licensed handgun carriers. It's a solution in search of a problem. Rep. Gutwein says it's for officer safety and as I explained to his LA and your LA that the information is available to law enforcement when they run your plates. The database already provides that info to the officer.
    Meanwhile, this awful law would let every person that sees my driver license know a very private and vital piece of information about me that they have zero business knowing. Bank tellers, retail clerks (have to show ID with a credit card), hotel desk clerks; the list is endless, will see that I am a licensed handgun carrier.
    What will a police officer from a less free state like New Jersey do if I'm pulled over there? Cuff me and search my car? It's just a misguided bill and it needs to go away. I voiced my concerns with your LA, Gutwein's and Soliday's offices, too.
    Next, I would appreciate your support of HB's 1143, 1244 and 1144. 1144 needs to be amended to include a provision for reciprocity with other states, however. That is absolutely critical and I understand Rep. Lucas has such language drafted.
    Thanks in advance and I wish you a happy new year and a productive legislative session.

Respectfully,

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We only have to point as far back as the mid 90's to show that carrying guns on IU campuses did NOT cause significant problems (that's when IU's policy changed).

The opposition's assertion that it would cause significant problems has no recent historical support.

IU's policy wasn't changed due to problems. It was changed because the liberal university president from out east wanted to change it (along with kicking the gun club/range off campus).

Top Bottom