• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Went to an estate auction yesterday about mile from home,a coworker told me there were some guns listed in the flier so I thought I would just check it out.

They looked and acted like a normal bunch of people right up to the time the guns started to sell.

At that point every one went crazy the started bidding like these were the last 12 guns on earth.

example A=a plain nylon 66 Mohawk brown not commemorative or bicentennial
    a few small scratches,I would have given it a 90% rating went for $375

Example b=an 1897 Winchester pump shotgun with no bluing and a stock that looked like it was refinished by a third grader,sanding scratches across the grain,went for $600

After about the fifth gun I told my son to back away slowly because we had obviously wandered into a crowd of insane people and now they had guns.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Went to an estate auction yesterday about mile from home,a coworker told me there were some guns listed in the flier so I thought I would just check it out.

They looked and acted like a normal bunch of people right up to the time the guns started to sell.

At that point every one went crazy the started bidding like these were the last 12 guns on earth.

example A=a plain nylon 66 Mohawk brown not commemorative or bicentennial
    a few small scratches,I would have given it a 90% rating went for $375

Example b=an 1897 Winchester pump shotgun with no bluing and a stock that looked like it was refinished by a third grader,sanding scratches across the grain,went for $600

After about the fifth gun I told my son to back away slowly because we had obviously wandered into a crowd of insane people and now they had guns.

That sounds like just about every gun auction I have ever attended. It seems like all common sense and sense of value go right out the window when firearms go on the block.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've seen that happen a few times. Saw a used S&W Sigma .40 go for double retail and a High Point 9mm go for $275. Some early shotguns (Parker Bros doubles) were too high for my budget but were well within a decent range. Also talk about some seriously bad handling from the auctioneers and morons in the crowd.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    At auctions sometimes people don't research or think before throwing out their bids. The best auction I went to was earlier this year when I picked up an HK94 for $2,600, which I sold a month ago for $3,500. People probably thought I was nuts for paying that kind of money, but I knew what it was worth.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I went to my first firearms auction in Indiana many years ago. I haven't been to one since. I saw the same thing. I went to one in Texas when I lived there and folks seemed to keep their heads.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I attended one in KY this past spring and couldn't figure out what was going on with the, frankly, junk handguns selling for at least $200 over what they were worth. Found out later why- this auction group just sold the guns, no transfer, no ffl, nothing. Folks that can't pass a background check will pay high dollar for guns.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've been to one gun auction to purchase an M1 Carbine, fortunately for me the other bidder bowed out after one bid and I went home smiling having just saved several hundred dollars over what I had seen them for commercially. Most of the sales that I saw that finalized went right at or just above NIB prices unless the piece was just so wore out that a blindman could see it. I love going to auctions to watch the carnage but only take enough to cover what I'm willing to spend and then sit back and watch the show.

JOLLYKART

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mooresville
    Everyone thinks just because it auction time the bargains are just waiting to be bid on! A good auctioneer will make a killing on this scenario.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've seen 600 dollar SKS's in the last month because of auction morons. They are rediculus. I can appreciate the idea of paying more for an "off the books" firearm but you can get that Sks for 300 here on ingo

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    The way I understand it from talking to a local auctioneer that holds gun auctions is that as long as it's an Estate Auction there are no transfer fees, no FFL, just cash and carry. I'm sure that plays a part in some of the high prices, but some people get auction fever just like when they bid more for something used than what you could buy in NIB from Wal~Mart!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    At the auction mentioned in the thread starter the auctioneer said everyone buying a firearm would have to fill out an FFL form, so the prices were not driven by people thinking they were getting firearms free and clear.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    "After about the fifth gun I told my son to back away slowly because we had obviously wandered into a crowd of insane people and now they had guns." Gotta hand it to ya Buford, that was a good line.

Top Bottom