• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    OK, a lot of you guys and gals love to talk guns. And can do so at in depth levels probably even quoting manuals, and shooting guides line for line.
    I am trying to coordinate an “Intro to guns” class maybe an hour or two for people who have either:
    A. Never owned a gun and are on the edge of buying
    B. A spouse wants a gun but the other is opposed
    C. People who have never been exposed to guns and would like to learn and be less intimidated.
    I am NOT the right person for this but I am pretty sure some of you are. And LOVE to convert the non-gun owners. Real basics, what is a revolver, what is a magazine, what is a rifle, what makes a good home defense item, guns are not dangerous – people being careless with them are. Maybe some basics on laws and rights. Again info only. Basics. Not a certified class but just education. Volunteer basis (plus probably plugs for INGO). Work around your schedule but maybe evening or weekend. 1-2 hr most. Location Indianapolis East Side and already have room and location available.
    If there is already a class, or recomendations please let me know. I did a few quick searches. Many people are intimidated to go to a range if they don't know the first thing about guns or don't even have any. They are afraid to ask questions and look dumb if everyone else already knows the answer. Let them feel safe asking the basic questions.
    Thanks for your time,

Rick

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Do you already have a group of students who have agreed to attend this thing? If not, how will you be attracting them?

This sounds like you are looking for the NRA First Steps and NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle curriculum. Those classes are available from forum advertisers if you look around. Generally they are not free.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Do you expect the class to include range time?

Can you give a bit more background about why you have decided to coordinate this? Also some more info on what info you want to cover.

I think with the right details you can probably find a qualified volunteer.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Good questions. And no set class yet. I wanted to get someone lined up first rather than have a class and no one to lead it.

No range time. Not necessarily handling any guns. This is a REAL beginner type overview of guns. I know this is a GUN forum but these people never would come here, or ask questions here. I want to educate the un-informed. The drive behind this is some of the questions I get asked or have overheard. And the reasons behind WHY these people ask or don’t know. Mainly, fear of looking stupid. Sparked by neighbor who saw me OC and asked some of these questions. Thought there may be others out there.

Some questions that have come up that this type of class might cover.

What is a revolver?

What is a magazine?

I see people have guns at local restaurants/stores. Are non-police allowed to just carry guns? Are people these criminals?

Who can own a gun?

Are guns safe?

Who SHOULD own a gun?

Isn’t a gun an assault weapon?

I see <any given scenario on TV/Movie> Is that what it is really like?

Where do I buy a gun?

What should I ask/know before looking for a gun?

If I buy a gun where can I go shoot it?

If I buy a gun where do I store it?

I hear a lot about 9 mm or a 40 cal? Is that a type of gun?

I am scared it might “go off” in my house and hurt someone.

I have kids, what if they see/find it?

Basically a class to ease people into and around guns. Answer the most basic questions where people can feel safe and comfortable TO ask these basic questions without ridicule. Also, may prevent many people who are scared of those that OC or CC and complain. Maybe they are just un-informed or ill-informed.

Thanks

Rick

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So you have a significant pool of people who you are confident will attend such a course?

The people you are describing don't seem like the kind who would come to a class. Mainly because if you look around online, these kind of classes are available and this information is not hard to find. If they really wanted to know, they would go looking for it. I could be wrong, though.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If you put it together and it is free, I would be interested in attending. Just to see how it goes.

I would even volunteer but I am not a certified or experienced instructor. However, the info is very basic. I'm not sure you need one. Based on what you're saying, you could probably put together this presentation yourself.

Why do you feel you are not qualified?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So you have a significant pool of people who you are confident will attend such a course?

The people you are describing don't seem like the kind who would come to a class. Mainly because if you look around online, these kind of classes are available and this information is not hard to find. If they really wanted to know, they would go looking for it. I could be wrong, though.
    IME, a LOT of people have a general "interest" in firearms thanks to hollywood, tv, etc. They don't necessarily know where to go about getting the information and since they aren't familiar with them, they aren't going to make the effort to go out and search for themselves. Most of the time, they are willing to discuss however, in order to learn. That doesn't mean that after they learn they will be transformed into gun junkies, but providing them with a fair, honest, and safe education is going to do NOTHING BUT HELP the cause. So, at least you won't have a person out there agreeing with everything the media tells them, but rather they would be saying "well, if he would have known the safety rules that wouldn't have happen" as opposed to "people with kids shouldn't have guns"......or something similar.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    IME, a LOT of people have a general "interest" in firearms thanks to hollywood, tv, etc. They don't necessarily know where to go about getting the information and since they aren't familiar with them, they aren't going to make the effort to go out and search for themselves. Most of the time, they are willing to discuss however, in order to learn. That doesn't mean that after they learn they will be transformed into gun junkies, but providing them with a fair, honest, and safe education is going to do NOTHING BUT HELP the cause. So, at least you won't have a person out there agreeing with everything the media tells them, but rather they would be saying "well, if he would have known the safety rules that wouldn't have happen" as opposed to "people with kids shouldn't have guns"......or something similar.

I don't disagree with you. I think they are open to discussing it when it is convenient. But you said yourself, they don't go looking for it. So unless the OP has a bunch of people he knows personally who want to attend, it will be hard to attrract them. It may even be hard to find them to appeal to them.

I know where to go find gun owners and enthusiasts. I dont think it will be so easy to pull people with a passing interest in guns out of a much larger population of people without a potential market already in mind. I could be way off. I definitely am with you on one point; more education is always good.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've taken several people to the range/private property who had NO real "desire" to learn firearms. The opportunity rose just out of simple conversation and learning a few facts which came from somewhere OTHER than the media. Afterwards, they were much more educated, MUCH more accepting of firearms, not fearful of them...and some of them now DO have the "desire" to learn more and take them up.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't disagree with you. I think they are open to discussing it when it is convenient. But you said yourself, they don't go looking for it. So unless the OP has a bunch of people he knows personally who want to attend, it will be hard to attrract them. It may even be hard to find them to appeal to them.

I know where to go find gun owners and enthusiasts. I dont think it will be so easy to pull people with a passing interest in guns out of a much larger population of people without a potential market already in mind. I aould be way off. I definitely am with you on one point; more education is always good.
    He probably already has a descent base of people interested. It's the same concept that I've been trying to do on my local campus. I hear passing questions, interest, etc. all the time. I could easily get a full classroom of interested young adults. The problem I'm finding however, is finding a faculty member who's willing to take on a role in such a student organization. It seems as though they are fearful of their superiors/administration. :dunno: Otherwise, I would be conducting this same venture on campus for students. Merely providing an open discussion forum for them to attend and learn, perhaps spark an interest.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I want to say it is certainly not my intention to discourage the OP. I hope it all works out. I am a bit of a pessimist and it is just my way to point out difficulties.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    He probably already has a descent base of people interested. It's the same concept that I've been trying to do on my local campus. I hear passing questions, interest, etc. all the time. I could easily get a full classroom of interested young adults. The problem I'm find however, is finding a faculty member who's willing to take on a role in such a student organization. It seems as though they are fearful of their superiors/administration. :dunno: Otherwise, I would be conducting this same venture on campus for students.

So do it off campus?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So do it off campus?
    A lot of students live on campus and have little to no transportation, for one thing. The other reason I want to target "on campus" is the ability to utilize larger classrooms if demand was to increase from various "advertisement." I know there are several existing student clubs which want to attend or provide such a platform to their groups, but haven't been able to or don't know how/where to organize it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've taken several people to the range/private property who had NO real "desire" to learn firearms. The opportunity rose just out of simple conversation and learning a few facts which came from somewhere OTHER than the media. Afterwards, they were much more educated, MUCH more accepting of firearms, not fearful of them...and some of them now DO have the "desire" to learn more and take them up.

Yes. One on one with people it happens often. Its the people you don't know or getting all the people with one or two random questions and no motivation to seek it out, all in to a room at the same time I am not sure about. Again, if he gets them in the room and they are open minded, I think it would work out well. :-)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    A lot of students live on campus and have little to no transportation, for one thing. The other reason I want to target "on campus" is the ability to utilize larger classrooms if demand was to increase from various "advertisement." I know there are several existing student clubs which want to attend or provide such a platform to their groups, but haven't been able to or don't know how/where to organize it.

Is it IUPUI we are talking about? What kind of session are they interested in? All classroom and discussion? Non-firing demos? Live fire time for students?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yes. One on one with people it happens often. Its the people you don't know or getting all the people with one or two random questions and no motivation to seek it out, all in to a room at the same time I am not sure about. Again, if he gets them in the room and they are open minded, I think it would work out well. :-)
    I think that's the point though. Not making it so much a "classroom" type of "course" but simply an open discussion, although guided, but simply allowing them to voice their opinions or pose their questions. Then having it discussed with someone who is EDUCATED and FAIR and can be otherwise "unbiased" to allow them to draw their own conclusions, rather than simply believing the media. I think anyone who would attend would indeed be open minded enough to have civil discussions. If they are there, then they do have SOME motivation to learn. Nobody "forced" them to attend.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Is it IUPUI we are talking about? What kind of session are they interested in? All classroom and discussion? Non-firing demos? Live fire time for students?
    Different groups have talked to me about different things.
    Several seek just like we are discussing here. A general open discussion to firearms introduction. Most have no experience, some even have a slight fear and wish to overcome it or learn why to they should enforce their fear. Not an actual "class" per say. Just allowing them the opportunity to learn if firearms would be a good choice for them, answering their questions, teaching basic safety, and giving them the "hows" or "whys" things happen/exist and have it NOT come from media

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Different groups have talked to me about different things.
    Several seek just like we are discussing here. A general open discussion to firearms introduction. Most have no experience, some even have a slight fear and wish to overcome it or learn why to they should enforce their fear. Not an actual "class" per say. Just allowing them the opportunity to learn if firearms would be a good choice for them and answering their questions.

If there were no live guns in the room, I would think it would be easy to get a room for this. Any student organization who can get a room for a meeting or event coould hook this up. Is the topic of guns really that frightening?

Also, do you think it may turn in to a gun control debate? Probably depends on the hosting group.

Top Bottom