• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Hey everyone.

I've had an idea for a book, and I just wanted to see if there'd be any interest in it if I put pen to paper.

Basically, it'd be an entry-level philosophical investigation of guns/gun culture. Much like those "Pop Culture and Philosophy" books, this would be plainly written for those with no philosophical background, and everything would relate to guns in order to maintain interest and provide a touchstone. I don't want to give too many details away (protecting my idea) but it would essentially just be a collection of free standing essays.

If I do this, I'm planning on self publishing in ebook form only through the Kindle Store and maybe iBooks (if I can figure their system out). Might set up a website to allow downloadable PDF's too if the demand is there.

Next there's pricing... Would you guys drop $9.99 on such a book (hoping for somewhere around 200 pages) from an as yet unproven author based on that premise and maybe a short sample? Any and all input is welcome, from the idea to the price... But it won't be free! (I'm just out of college with no day job as of yet. If I can write I'll take my chances there.)

Please let me know what you think, and if things seem encouraging, I'm hopeful to move forward with the idea for late summer publishing.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's interesting. $10 would be worth it depending on how extensive you went.

Do you read Gun Digest? They put out annuals on CD ROM/DVD/downloadable PDF, too. Pretty voluminous and expensive at that, too. Check them out if you're not familiar with them.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Personally I would not be that likely to purchase and read. Most of my firearms reading is reviews, how-to, hunting, or historical.

Makes sense... just thought it would be a different sort of supplement. I mean, there are gun coffee table books, and instructional/informative gun books, but no light duty intellectual gun books.

Top Bottom