• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A buddy of mine who lives in the burbs outside of Detroit sent me this.

Cash offered in Detroit gun buyback program | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I find it kind of interesting they are doing a no questions asked turn in for cash. I wonder how many of those no question asked returns will be guns that people stole simply to have them cashed in.

I just cant imagine they dont take any info, run numbers, or anything.

Either way if you want to sell your AR, AK, whatever for $200 you are an idiot. Well unless you stole it and want to cash it in.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Also wonder how many guns that were used in crimes will be destroyed by the cops, good way to get rid of your murder weapon lol.

The guns collected are typically checked to see if there were involved in any crimes and held on as evidence. That is what occured with some of the weapons when East Chicago did their buy back early this year.

how does Detroit have the money to buy anything?

Not sure how the city of detriot is doing it but in East Chicago as well as other places this has occurred it's typically a private venture just run by the city. ie. private organizations donate the money to get the reward cards, they also do the ads for the city.

When EC did it in 2011 the Local 1010 union along with the private local hospital where the main donors of the buy back.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    I understand the "idea" behind the program, but it rubs 2A lovers the wrong way. The police think a gun that isn't valued, or used, (and possibly isn't secured), is a gun that could wind up in the wrong hands. I understand the logic there, but I would rather see PSA's talking about "safely store your firearm, and be well trained in defending your home" than a buy back program. Speaking of which, has anyone seen that actually done? I wonder if that would at all help create a sense that gun ownership is... normal.

If they are destroying these guns, who pays for it? Are our tax dollars used to make bad investments, i.e. overpay for these guns (what we pay vs value of melted metal)? So basically as a society we are putting a dollar amount on the value of reducing the number of loose guns out there. That just doesn't seem conducive to reducing crime. Could that money put one more cop on the street? Fill one more investigations chair so they can follow more leads, solve more crimes, and take repeat offenders off the street?

Last edited:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    There was a buy back program scheduled in Indy about a year ago.

I thought about carrying a sign that read "Will Pay Cash for Guns" and standing on the sidewalk outside of the event to see if I could get any decent deals.... but the event was cancelled.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    739 weapons turned in. I dont have a problem with them doing these kind of things, the problem I have is the no questions asked thing. Even if they do trace the number back to a crime they dont have the info of the guy who just turned the gun in. A criminal could murder someone and have the police destroy the evidence. That is ludicrous.

Detroit gun buyback program nets 739 weapons | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom