• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have bought many guns from people on this and other forums, including out of state. I have not had any problems. The only way to be 100% sure it is not stolen is to ask the seller for the serial number and call it in yourself.

If the sale is through a forum, you can check post counts and read some of the posts an get an idea of the person you are dealing with.

If you are in doubt, don't do it...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have bought many guns from people on this and other forums, including out of state. I have not had any problems. The only way to be 100% sure it is not stolen is to ask the seller for the serial number and call it in yourself.

If the sale is through a forum, you can check post counts and read some of the posts an get an idea of the person you are dealing with.

If you are in doubt, don't do it...

Call the serial number in to who?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    But will they look it up for us? I've never tried. And I haven't heard of anybody on here ever call the state police for a serial number check. It would be nice if they do, I just have never heard of it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a friend that is a Leo. I asked her if she could run an s/n for a friend, she said she couldn't BC she was off duty at the time but told me to have my friend cakkbthe local pd and ask them to

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    This is not the one I referred to, but should work just fine. HotGunz Stolen Gun Search

The only problem with that site is that it is user driven.. if somebody does not know to add their gun to that list, then it will not be found. I just tried several serials from the Stolen Firearm sticky thread and they all appeared good to go. Currently there are less than 4000 items on the hotgunz database.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I am a LEO and I will post this answer, even though many may not like this response. First you always run the risk of stolen/bad product any time you buy something used from someone that is not in the "retail" business. In other words "Caveat Emptor" - Let the buyer beware.

Having said that, no LEO can legally run the firearm or other item through the "State's" computer check by you calling them and giving them the information. Some agencies may run it, if it is brought into the local police department - but don't be upset of they politely tell you no. Also, if they agree to YOU must understand that should the weapon return as stolen they will confiscate the gun from you and provide you nothing more than a receipt and a laundry list of questions regarding from who or where you purchased the gun.

If you are lucky enough to find the person you bought the weapon from you "MIGHT" be able to recover your money - but DON'T count on it. If the local police department is lucky enough to find the original THIEF then you might be able to file for restitution through the Prosecutor's Office.

Again, caveat emptor.

Finally, it has been my personal experience that a majority of the people on INGO are good people to deal with and have a good system of self policing set up.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am a LEO and I will post this answer, even though many may not like this response. First you always run the risk of stolen/bad product any time you buy something used from someone that is not in the "retail" business. In other words "Caveat Emptor" - Let the buyer beware.

Having said that, no LEO can legally run the firearm or other item through the "State's" computer check by you calling them and giving them the information. Some agencies may run it, if it is brought into the local police department - but don't be upset of they politely tell you no. Also, if they agree to YOU must understand that should the weapon return as stolen they will confiscate the gun from you and provide you nothing more than a receipt and a laundry list of questions regarding from who or where you purchased the gun.

If you are lucky enough to find the person you bought the weapon from you "MIGHT" be able to recover your money - but DON'T count on it. If the local police department is lucky enough to find the original THIEF then you might be able to file for restitution through the Prosecutor's Office.

Again, caveat emptor.

Finally, it has been my personal experience that a majority of the people on INGO are good people to deal with and have a good system of self policing set up.
    Just out of curiosity, why is that? I kind of understand not doing it over the phone I guess, but as for bringing it in, is it just to discourage everyone and their brother coming in to have numbers run, tying up resources, or is there some legal reason? It doesn't seem all that different from buying a vehicle (especially boat and/or trailer) that doesn't have title work and having to have a LEO come and run the numbers before the purchaser can title the vehicle. It would seem to be a proper, or at least prudent thing to do. :dunno:

As for this: "Finally, it has been my personal experience that a majority of the people on INGO are good people to deal with and have a good system of self policing set up." :+1:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    All my dealings with INGO'ers have been great, and I do look at post counts, and how long they've been a member, it stinks that I now live in Virginia, I love Indiana, and all the great INGO people. Hopefully if I find THE gun on here someone will ship it to a local(to me) FFL, the prices here are crazy high! As it's been said before on here, if your spidy senses tingle don't do it!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom