• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Black Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    We are looking into moving from an internet / trade show dealer to a local brick and mortar store front. We want to plan our inventory investment wisely and would like to get Indiana gun owners' and enthusiasts' input. We would like to hear your preferences in regards to the following, if you had the funds available to buy:

1. your next new handgun purchase
    2. your preferred conceal carry handgun
    3. your next assault rifle purchase (new or used)
    4. your preferred varmint or plinker rifle
    5. your next new shotgun purchase

Thanks in advance...

BST

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    1. CZ of some kind, I'm hooked
    2. M&P9c
    3. None planned at the moment.
    4. CZ 455...just bought one.
    5. None planned. Have an 870.

Btw, where would you be located?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    1. your next new handgun purchase- An S&W or Ruger .357 revolver
    2. your preferred conceal carry handgun - SW 3914
    3. your next assault rifle purchase (new or used) - None
    4. your preferred varmint or plinker rifle - S&W 15-22
    5. your next new shotgun purchase - Maybe a Coach Gun

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Handgun...Springfield 1911 loaded in .45 ACP stainless/Colt Anaconda in .44 Mag or equivalent in stainless 8" barrel.
    Concealed carry...Charter Arms Bull Dog in .44 Sp.
    Assault rifle...Heavy Battle rifle in .308. Still researching makes & configurations.
    Varmint....22-250 Rem. 700 or a CZ.
    Remington 870 Tactical.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    1. your next new handgun purchase-Ruger Mark III
    2. your preferred conceal carry handgun-1911 w/ 4" barrel
    3. your next assault rifle purchase (new or used)-AR15
    4. your preferred varmint or plinker rifle-AR15
    5. your next new shotgun purchase-Mossberg 930

You didn't solicit other input, but if you are going to set up a brick and mortar store, you have to give people a reason to put down the computer mouse and come. I see many store owners/workers who are passionate about firearms, but have little concept of customer service. Internet shopping is very convenient, customer service is getting better at a fast rate, and prices are usually better than B&M even with shipping costs added in.

Here in Lafayette, we have several gun stores. I have yet to go to one that demonstrates good customer service. I hope that the arrival of Gander Mountain will help them to improve since their traffic will probably increase.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    1. your next new handgun purchase-Ruger Mark III
    2. your preferred conceal carry handgun-1911 w/ 4" barrel
    3. your next assault rifle purchase (new or used)-AR15
    4. your preferred varmint or plinker rifle-AR15
    5. your next new shotgun purchase-Mossberg 930

You didn't solicit other input, but if you are going to set up a brick and mortar store, you have to give people a reason to put down the computer mouse and come. I see many store owners/workers who are passionate about firearms, but have little concept of customer service. Internet shopping is very convenient, customer service is getting better at a fast rate, and prices are usually better than B&M even with shipping costs added in.

Here in Lafayette, we have several gun stores. I have yet to go to one that demonstrates good customer service. I hope that the arrival of Gander Mountain will help them to improve since their traffic will probably increase.

Fantastic post. I'd guess that well over half of the visits I've made to LGS around here have ended with a poor customer experience. Too many employees have an attitude, are too busy bs'ing with their "regulars" or simply come across as being put out. I used to work at Galyans hunt/fish dept many years ago and I know there are tons of people coming in to just fondle guns with no intent on buying. It becomes hard to treat everyone that walks in with superior service when you have that day in and day out. But you have to. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Make it your mission to over committ to great service. Way more important than which glocks or Remingtons you have on the shelf IMHO.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Fantastic post. I'd guess that well over half of the visits I've made to LGS around here have ended with a poor customer experience. Too many employees have an attitude, are too busy bs'ing with their "regulars" or simply come across as being put out. I used to work at Galyans hunt/fish dept many years ago and I know there are tons of people coming in to just fondle guns with no intent on buying. It becomes hard to treat everyone that walks in with superior service when you have that day in and day out. But you have to. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Make it your mission to over committ to great service. Way more important than which glocks or Remingtons you have on the shelf IMHO.

He is certainly right about customer service. I, for one, am very satisfied with the customer service I get from places like Plainfiled Shooting Suppplies. Every time I walk through the door, no more than 1 minute goes by before I am asked if I need any help. Courteous service and competitive prices are the two things I look for most.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We are looking into moving from an internet / trade show dealer to a local brick and mortar store front. We want to plan our inventory investment wisely and would like to get Indiana gun owners' and enthusiasts' input. We would like to hear your preferences in regards to the following, if you had the funds available to buy:

Thanks in advance...

BST

1) Not sure, just bought an M&P 9C recently.
    2) Glock 27/23
    3) already have an AR, may be a bit before I pick up another
    4) Plinker = S&W 15-22 MOE
    5) not particularly interested in shotguns

You will get a huge permutation of answers to those questions I think.
    I would talk to your distributor and ask what the top selling firearms are in a given area and go with those if you are wanting popular and, if you are looking to get items that will turn quickly. You will have to price them in line with the competition though as most likely the most popular guns in each category can be purchased almost anywhere (i.e. they are commodity items)

Now having said that, what I'd like to see in a B&M gun store, which would differentiate it from an internet retailer and many other stores:

• Have armorers (Glock, S&W & AR , etc) onsite. This is a huge plus. They don't have to be gunsmiths, but should be able to help folks get their guns up and running again/install sights, etc.

• Have employees who shoot and can actually speak to particular categories of guns, and make intelligent recommendations/provide opinions on accessories, etc based on experience. No one can know everything, but have people who know a decent amount about a particular category.

• Have a good selection of accessories and price them reasonably. This will bring in folks for repeat visits between gun purchases.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Ruger Mark III or 22/45 with suppressor threads

Kel-Tec P3AT (80%) or G23 (20%)

300BLK Upper, Flat top.

M&P 15-22 or Ruger 10-22

Kel-Tec KSG for under $800. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting choices and suggestions. I wish you all the best in this. I know you mentioned your intended location. I will have to check that out. Not sure where it is. Close enough and I will stop in.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    1. Not entirely sure tbh. Too many on my want list
    2. Right now I use my Glock 19 to OC and CC, but have my eye on a Ruger LCP or the XDS for a BUG.
    3. FNH SCAR 17S, one of the million ARs, or Saiga AK
    4. Ruger 10/22
    5. AA12. Lol, but really, Remington 870

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    1. your next new handgun purchase -- Full size high capacity 9mm (CZ, beretta, glock, sig)
    2. your preferred conceal carry handgun -- I don't CC, but would guess a 1911 of some sort.
    3. your next assault rifle purchase (new or used) -- Already have an AR, so next rifle is M1A Scout Squad (Model AA9129)
    4. your preferred varmint or plinker rifle -- 10/22 for plinking
    5. your next new shotgun purchase -- Keltec KSG as soon as the cost returns to the realm of reality

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012

Thanks in advance...

BST

Most folks have little to no recognition of the guts it takes to run your own business. I wish you the very best in your endeavor and will support your shop when I am in the area.

Best regards!

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    1. M&P Shield 9mm or Walther PPQ 9mm
    2. Glock 19 Gen4
    3. Not into the assault rifles but would like a 9mm carbine like a CX4
    4. Ruger 10/22 TD
    5. Remington 11-87 Sportsman Field 12GA