• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertytree

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    I have barely any experience with firearms, nor do I own one, so should I take a gun class before renting and trying various ones? Or perhaps I would be given all the instruction I need if I showed up at a range that rents at a time that is not busy and explain that I'm inexperienced?
    Also, I read in other threads that there might be INGO members that would be willing to help out, so I'll just throw that out there too.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Legally you are not required to take a class.

However, most of us are either trained by a professional, a parent, relative or friend prior to handing guns.

Its always a good idea to seek out a mentor to teach you gun safety before you shoot. Most of the ranges that rent guns will give you a basic, brief, intro in the safe operation of the gun. Its best to ask any/every question you have and be open/honest about your need for information, lack of experience, etc. Most folks in the gun community are very helpful to newbies, worst thing you can do is pretend to know something.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    While I don't think that having a basic class under your belt is necessary to simply try out a few guns, I would certainly recommend being supervised by someone who is proficient with firearms and firearms safety.

And that's not to say that you wouldn't benefit from a course prior to any firearms ownership. Some courses will even provide the gun if you buy the ammo.

Whatever path you take, firearms classes somewhere along the way is ALWAYS a good thing! Good luck!

Last edited:

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Legally you are not required to take a class.

However, most of us are either trained by a professional, a parent, relative or friend prior to handing guns.

Its always a good idea to seek out a mentor to teach you gun safety before you shoot.

This. +1

ETA: And what ESRICE said.
    I would certainly recommending being supervised by someone who is proficient with firearms and firearms safety.

You never know what could happen as far as ammo or gun malfunction. And someone with knowledge could prevent an accident. Slow primer, a jam or ???? A gun is a dangerous tool. Always use caution.

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I took one when I got my Glock 22 even though I been Civil Wareenactor for 10 year an handle weapon IE a 1861 Spring Feild Rifle for that time period. I still took a NRA Basic course offered by Indy Gun Safety to just modernize an fill in the gaps of what I have learned in the past ten years of reenacting. Then later I became a reserve cop for a bit an got some more training from that.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If you decide what you want to do and want to meet at ITP I would be happy to help you with the basics.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While not required in Indiana, I think firearm classes are benificial. I took one two years ago with my nephew when he was getting into firearms. It was a good class for both of us. They are well worth the money, IMO. Be sure to use a NRA Certified Instructor and your papers will be good just about everywhere.

Top Bottom