• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Please educate me. I bought Otter's cleaning kits for my .380 and .22 pistols. They come with oil and nitro. I believe the nitro is used to remove lead. I also just bought some Hoppe's #9 as my local shop said that would remove copper. So far I've only shot copper covered bullets. Should I be using the Hoppe's or the nitro to clean the barrel? Or both?

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I can tell you a product I am NOT impressed with! M-Pro copper solvent! Purchased a bottle at the gun store as they were out of my tried and true Hoppes. Wanted to remove some copper fouling from a new barrel I was breaking in. This stuff wouldn't remove anything! Ran wet patches down the bore, let it sit, brushed it, and patch still came out almost clean. Wasted 30" and never did clean for ****. Ran some Hoppes through it the next day and patches we're coming out dirty and also green as it was removing all the crud and copper. Paid $9 for the M-Pro. Paid $5 at Walmart for the Hoppes. Anyone want the M-Pro they can have it free.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I take gun down to all the parts, drop in bucket of very hot water with Dawn soap let soak then use SPT or Bore Butter to wipe all parts, heavy on the arbor with SPT or Bore Butter and am ready to go again.

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    Ed's Red. Using real turpentine instead of spirits. Citrus solvent instead of acetone. ATF and Kroil. K1 Kero. Part of the batch has pure lanolin shaved into it and dissolved--for storage.

Used on my AR and Sigs. Colt clones and Model 66. I have an ultrasonic with heater dedicated to it. Cleans a nitrided AR bolt like new. (Do not ultrasonic nickel plate!)
    After all is cleaned, wiped and blown out, I remove the residue with IPA or denatured alcohol. It removes all petroleum.
    Final is Superlube silicone oil and grease with Teflon. -40 to 500-deg F. makes it a good all weather lube.
    Running the AR bolt in the Superlube leaves minimal build to remove.

Top Bottom