• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been watching Dr. Oz today and he had a panel including psychiatrists, criminologists and physicians, and also interviewed an FBI agent. What I heard them say was refreshing. Not ONE of these experts blamed the guns. They highlighted the state of our mental health care system, and health care in general, and how laws like HIPAA have tied both doctors' and law enforcement's hands when it comes to reporting potential mass shooters.

One of the doctors said something to the effect of, "Sometimes we have to infringe on the rights of an individual in order to protect the community." This is the polar opposite of what the anti-gunners want to do. Instead of infringing on the rights of a person that is showing potential signs of turning violent (like most of the recent mass shooters) to protect the community, they want to infringe on the rights of (a very large part of) the community to protect a few individuals (the mass shooters). That is to say, they want to lump the millions of law-abiding gun owners in with a handful of individuals with mental issues.

All of them agreed that the laws regarding the reporting of people with mental issues to law enforcement need to be changed, and more importantly taking action when these individuals are reported (instead of ignoring the 39 police calls and reports to the FBI as we saw with the Parkland shooter) is critical if we are to look for any real solution to these kinds of tragedies. Dr. Oz also said that the CDC needs to study ALL forms of violence, and not "block out" one certain type (so-called gun violence) to the exclusion of all others. Like I said, it was refreshing to see this side of the issue presented.

I saw it too and I thought it was a bit refreshing. When I saw the subject of the show I thought I knew where it was going (figured it would turn to gun control) but it never did. It was a bit refreshing especially since it was on daytime tv.
    As guy with a stepson who has struggled with some mental health issues, I thought it was pretty spot on.
    I really liked how they all agreed that mental health is very complex and the meds can cause an underlying condition to be worsened and that can lead to violence when the wrong meds are prescribed. Or when a wrong diagnosis is treated, resulting in prescribing the wrong meds.

Not a show that I normally watch but today was surprised by it

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hard to have an honest conversation when they do stupid pr stunts and misinformation like this

xZw5bv9.jpg

I saw that on FB, and I was just too tired to start shooting holes in it.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Wife and I disagree. She thinks its ok for the kids to do this because they are afraid of what's going on in our country. I say they don't have to do it on school time and should be given unexcused absences.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Wife and I disagree. She thinks its ok for the kids to do this because they are afraid of what's going on in our country. I say they don't have to do it on school time and should be given unexcused absences.

My wife is a teacher and her school sanctioned a walk out...but gave the kids a place to gather. She talked to them about the issue and to be ware of people who don't want to hear the other side of the argument. If they set up speakers today..if there were any, I'd be interested to know if there was anyone there besides people screaming 'ban them'.

I am OK with them doing it as long as they are treated as any other 'the kid skipped school with no excuse' day. I suspect many got special treatment though.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

If they are afraid, maybe they should be looking at facts and real data. Instead of "feelings".

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    If they are afraid, maybe they should be looking at facts and real data. Instead of "feelings".

^^^^^^^^^^^ You have hit the nail on the head^^^^^^^^^^^ I am sitting here watching TV and the media is interviewing these kids. They(kids) are thinking with feelings and emotion... not logic.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I know what would've happened if I would've walked out during class because of my feelings and the actions of some idiot.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Leave my guns alone. Every day someone dies in car wreck but nobody out protesting cars on the road.

According to various websites, approximately eleven people - including teenage kids - die in car wrecks EVERY DAY due to texting while driving. Where is the outcry for Sensible Texting Control Laws? Limiting texting to a phone a any phone - that is not moving any faster than 10mph. Where is the call for banning High Capacity Data Plans ?

Top Bottom