• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Many, many county sheriffs believe in the Constitution of the United States. Seems like you see more Chiefs of Police that are prone to trampling rights. (Saying that while hoping it doesn't start an anti-leo discussion).

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Many, many county sheriffs believe in the Constitution of the United States. Seems like you see more Chiefs of Police that are prone to trampling rights. (Saying that while hoping it doesn't start an anti-leo discussion).

Could it be because Chief's of Police are appointed and Sheriff's are elected. Just my observation. Our Town Marshal is very pro 2A. Our Sheriff is also pro 2a and loves guns. He just tries to be politically correct, after all he does have to get re-elected.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Could it be because Chief's of Police are appointed and Sheriff's are elected. Just my observation. Our Town Marshal is very pro 2A. Our Sheriff is also pro 2a and loves guns. He just tries to be politically correct, after all he does have to get re-elected.
    Chiefs are appointed by an elected Mayor so in practical terms there is little difference. In Indiana, most Sheriffs are from/patrol rural areas. Where Chiefs/Mayors are city folk. City folk are much more anti-gun than rural folk. For the most part, Sheriffs (all local elected officials) are a reflection of the area they were elected from.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Chiefs are appointed by an elected Mayor so in practical terms there is little difference. In Indiana, most Sheriffs are from/patrol rural areas. Where Chiefs/Mayors are city folk. City folk are much more anti-gun than rural folk. For the most part, Sheriffs (all local elected officials) are a reflection of the area they were elected from.
    Having been a Governmental appointee, and dealt with both elected officials and other appointees, I can assure you the elected officials are much more concerned with public sentiment than are appointees. What recourse do the voters have to get rid of an appointee? Appointees are usually appointed or confirmed by a board. How many office holders would have to be voted out to make any changes to appointees. I am from a rural area. Things may be different in the urban setting. However, I am sure the concepts would be the same.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    http://www.hcsheriff.org/Opinion on gun control-Feb 7 2013.pdf

Sheriff Galloway is a defender of the 2nd amendment and a friend to gun owners.

Sheriff Dave Galloway is a wonderful sheriff, and a big 2A supporter. I know him personally as we serve on a local comity together so I know his views on the 2nd personally. He is up for re-election and my hope is all Hendricks County Ingo'ers vote to keep him in office so he will continue to support our 2A rights!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Having been a Governmental appointee, and dealt with both elected officials and other appointees, I can assure you the elected officials are much more concerned with public sentiment than are appointees. What recourse do the voters have to get rid of an appointee? Appointees are usually appointed or confirmed by a board. How many office holders would have to be voted out to make any changes to appointees. I am from a rural area. Things may be different in the urban setting. However, I am sure the concepts would be the same.
    Well, having the "privilege" of working under a Sheriff before getting merged into a city department and now working under a Chief I can tell you that the Mayor keeps the Chief on a short leash when it comes to politically motivated issues. At first, the merged department was under the control of the Sheriff then, eventually, it was given over to the Mayor. We still had a Chief that answered to the Sheriff and now he answers to the Mayor...what is the difference?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Well, having the "privilege" of working under a Sheriff before getting merged into a city department and now working under a Chief I can tell you that the Mayor keeps the Chief on a short leash when it comes to politically motivated issues. At first, the merged department was under the control of the Sheriff then, eventually, it was given over to the Mayor. We still had a Chief that answered to the Sheriff and now he answers to the Mayor...what is the difference?

From an employee standpoint probably not too much. From a citizen standpoint, I would ask "Can The Police Chief be voted out of office?". Obviously not.

What if the citizens were happy with every aspect of the Mayor except for his Chief of Police? Would the Mayor be voted out or would the people be stuck with a bad Chief? It's is why I don't like appointees. Plus it kind of steals my right to vote.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I do not know of any city or town in Hendricks County that has a mayor. Most if not all towns here have town councils. The chief answers to the council. My employer for example is under a metropolitan police commission setup. Us as individual officers answer to the police commission. They oversee hiring, promotions and discipline ect. The chief works under the town council and not the police commission. The chief does have a say in the police commission matters by recommendation and does not have voting powers.

As for Sheriff Dave Galloway, he is a all around good guy as well as an outstanding sheriff. He has always been a true leader. He was the town of Brownsburgs former chief and a military CID warrant officer. He is ending his 2nd term and can't run again on this election. His chief deputy "Col. Steve Wagner" is running for sheriff in his place.

Steve Wagner is a very pro 2nd guy. He has also always been a road guy until he was promoted to Colonel. He knows and recalls what it is like to work the road and can still be heard/seen doing so now. He is one of those guys that wouldn't tell anyone to do something that he wouldn't or couldn't do himself. Even though I have never worked under him, when I first started this job, he got me dialed in on a few things. He didn't have to but he has always bent over backwards to assist those of us in this county's smaller agency's. He has always been a voice of common sense reason and guidance combined with years of experience. He is very highly thought of and well respected in this county by the rank and file LEO's as well as the citizens of this county. He has my vote anytime.:twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom