• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    The RSO (Range Safety Officer) must insure all firearm & range safety rules are being followed. Being a douche bag doesn't violate a rule that know of. If it did, we would have many open vacancies in Washington D.C. as the majority of the politicians would not be in office.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I agree with Scutter above. You should be able to shoot how you want as long as you're being safe. I was at Point Blank indoor range in Blue Ash, Ohio recently and was reprimanded by the range officer for rapid fire because I unloaded 17 rounds from my M&P9 fairly fast into the target at the end of my range session to see how accurate I could be shooting quickly (14/17 in neck and head of a man-sized target somewhere between 7 and 10 yards...so I wasn't errant with my shots). Don't see how that's unsafe when I'm shooting straight ahead of me. Also, how rapid does it have to be to be rapid fire? I was frustrated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree with Scutter above. You should be able to shoot how you want as long as you're being safe. I was at Point Blank indoor range in Blue Ash, Ohio recently and was reprimanded by the range officer for rapid fire because I unloaded 17 rounds from my M&P9 fairly fast into the target at the end of my range session to see how accurate I could be shooting quickly (14/17 in neck and head of a man-sized target somewhere between 7 and 10 yards...so I wasn't errant with my shots). Don't see how that's unsafe when I'm shooting straight ahead of me. Also, how rapid does it have to be to be rapid fire? I was frustrated.

Many ranges have "one shot every two seconds" rules. Ranges rules are range rules. They may or may not have to do with safety, but the range is free to enforce any rules they choose. My comment was related to why one should care how another holds his pistol, all else considered. If the OP's range had a "no holding your gun at an angle exceeding 45 degrees", then I would have said he needed to be reprimanded by the RSO for violating the range rules. I still wouldn't have called him a "douche" for it, though.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Even a gun douche can get positive rep by starting a quasi-epic thread. ;)

Yeah, well like I said before, we only need 25 more pages to equal Andy's twig & berries essay.:bowdown:

But when INGO made the format change all positive rep disappeared and we had to start over. Who's gonna fess up to giving THIS guy the +rep? :dunno:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Many ranges have "one shot every two seconds" rules. Ranges rules are range rules. They may or may not have to do with safety, but the range is free to enforce any rules they choose. My comment was related to why one should care how another holds his pistol, all else considered. If the OP's range had a "no holding your gun at an angle exceeding 45 degrees", then I would have said he needed to be reprimanded by the RSO for violating the range rules. I still wouldn't have called him a "douche" for it, though.

I understand that range rules are range rules and agree they should be followed. But they should clarify what rapid fire is at that range rather than just say "no rapid fire." Quantifying it as one shot every two seconds is helpful. But they didn't do that. I also forgot they had that rule as I don't go there frequently.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I will tell about my own foray into shooting in the manner of what can only be described as a "Douchebag"......

We have a small farm we go to in Perry County every weekend...It is my dream home..Built in the 1870's with a stone fireplace and three rooms...Deer, Squirrel, Turkey, Bobcats, at least one Bald eagle, Red and Gray Fox, Mink, etc......Surround me....It's Heaven on Earth....

One night this past summer the wife and I were sitting on the front porch at around 11 pm.....I had just taken a sip of my Bourbon and RC (my first and only one of the evening to you teetotallers:D) from the ice filled Mason Jar when all of a sudden I looked at my wife and said....

"I'll be back.''

I went inside, stripped off all of my clothes, grabbed a single shot 20 gauge I keep close by for vermin and such and stepped back onto the porch with the little H&R in one hand and the Bourbon and RC in the other....I then proceeded to walk to the end of the porch at which point I began to take a wee, take a drink, and then fire my little single shot into the air one handed (just the one shot)....After I finished and began walking back inside to get dressed, my spouse of 17 years (Los Angeles born and bred)kind of looked up from her drink, arched her eyebrows and said,

"Seriously???? And you just did this because?????"

To which I responded...

"Just checking something off of the bucket list Dear..."

At age 12 years old.....

Dear Diary,

Someday I want to own a piece of property where I can walk to the end of the porch buck naked, urinate, take a sip of an adult beverage, and fire a shotgun off into the air (all at the same time) and not get in any trouble...I.E. If I even had a neighbor and even if they decided to call the law that the dispatcher would take the call and say "And what exactly did he do that was wrong? Let me get this straight...You want us to drive 45 minutes because a guy fired his gun into the air once and he MAY have had a drink in his hand, while naked on his own porch? You do know his closest neighbor is a mile away so what exactly where you doing spying on this man and his wife?????"

I guess the point I was going to make is that if you want to be a douchebag or shoot like one....Always try to do it on your own property...:):

I love this thread...This is getting into "Andy's Ruger SR1911 near the twig and berries" or this classic "You can own and shoot your gun but if you use it to defend yourself you're screwed" territory...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will tell about my own foray into shooting in the manner of what can only be described as a "Douchebag"......

We have a small farm we go to in Perry County every weekend...It is my dream home..Built in the 1870's with a stone fireplace and three rooms...Deer, Squirrel, Turkey, Bobcats, at least one Bald eagle, Red and Gray Fox, Mink, etc......Surround me....It's Heaven on Earth....

One night this past summer the wife and I were sitting on the front porch at around 11 pm.....I had just taken a sip of my Bourbon and RC (my first and only one of the evening to you teetotallers:D) from the ice filled Mason Jar when all of a sudden I looked at my wife and said....

"I'll be back.''

I went inside, stripped off all of my clothes, grabbed a single shot 20 gauge I keep close by for vermin and such and stepped back onto the porch with the little H&R in one hand and the Bourbon and RC in the other....I then proceeded to walk to the end of the porch at which point I began to take a wee, take a drink, and then fire my little single shot into the air one handed (just the one shot)....After I finished and began walking back inside to get dressed, my spouse of 17 years (Los Angeles born and bred)kind of looked up from her drink, arched her eyebrows and said,

"Seriously???? And you just did this because?????"

To which I responded...

"Just checking something off of the bucket list Dear..."

At age 12 years old.....

Dear Diary,

Someday I want to own a piece of property where I can walk to the end of the porch buck naked, urinate, take a sip of an adult beverage, and fire a shotgun off into the air (all at the same time) and not get in any trouble...I.E. If I even had a neighbor and even if they decided to call the law that the dispatcher would take the call and say "And what exactly did he do that was wrong? Let me get this straight...You want us to drive 45 minutes because a guy fired his gun into the air once and he MAY have had a drink in his hand, while naked on his own porch? You do know his closest neighbor is a mile away so what exactly where you doing spying on this man and his wife?????"

I guess the point I was going to make is that if you want to be a douchebag or shoot like one....Always try to do it on your own property...:):

I love this thread...This is getting into "Andy's Ruger SR1911 near the twig and berries" or this classic "You can own and shoot your gun but if you use it to defend yourself you're screwed" territory...

I would love to sit on that porch for an evening. Best therapy on the planet.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I was watching Guns and Ammo yesterday, and they were going through some closed-quarters, short range drills. And guess what? He went douche style on the bad guy. Makes sense...don't need to use sights when bad guy is two feet in front of you.

Top Bottom