• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    At this point in my relatively short shooting career I have shot firearms from every major manufacturer and have owned as many. I have passed them on to fund the next purchase in order to expand my knowledge and to find "the one" for me. CZ is the only manufacturer, other than Glock, that I have revisited and it's my current platform. Again, my stores have been emptied of equipment from the other brands, replaced by Eurocop firepower. Yet, after all the buying/trading/selling, I still find myself craving the next step, and searching for it. I question my sanity as my mind attempts to persuade me that I need to buy a Grand Power Excalibur because, damn, that's a nice trigger. I slowly return to my senses when I see the cost of spare mags. Still, it creeps at the edges of my shooting brain, poking at me with its fancy slide lightening cuts and fluted bull barrel. . .I digress, can I, this lowly servant of the BOOM! Gods, be the only one who has burnt themselves out with the circus of musical firepower? How do you, fair readers, deal with the seduction of the new firearm?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I used to have the craving to buy and try all I could but it slowed down once I found what worked for me. Some things do still change though. Most recently I had some time with a G43 and realized it blows my Shield out of the water and I will be buying one. For the most part I know what works for me and all I'm doing now days is planning to up the quantities of those firearms, accessories and ammo.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    It's not regret, it's the stagnation of current stock. I look forward to the day Salient pits out the updated Stryke pistols.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have also run the gamut of handguns over my 24 years of CC. With a very few exceptions I have owned, shot and/or handled handguns and revolvers from just about everyone. I have always came back to Smith & Wesson and Ruger for revolvers and Glocks for EDC. At one point when I was contracting overseas, I had 27 different revolvers and pistols, which was a lot for me. That money has since dried up so, most of those handguns have gone by the wayside to pay bills. Having all those different handguns at once taught me that I shoot Glocks the best for EDC, that S&W makes the nicest revolvers, and Ruger makes the toughest revolvers. YMMV, those are just my observations.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    At this point in my relatively short shooting career I have shot firearms from every major manufacturer and have owned as many. I have passed them on to fund the next purchase in order to expand my knowledge and to find "the one" for me. CZ is the only manufacturer, other than Glock, that I have revisited and it's my current platform. Again, my stores have been emptied of equipment from the other brands, replaced by Eurocop firepower. Yet, after all the buying/trading/selling, I still find myself craving the next step, and searching for it. I question my sanity as my mind attempts to persuade me that I need to buy a Grand Power Excalibur because, damn, that's a nice trigger. I slowly return to my senses when I see the cost of spare mags. Still, it creeps at the edges of my shooting brain, poking at me with its fancy slide lightening cuts and fluted bull barrel. . .I digress, can I, this lowly servant of the BOOM! Gods, be the only one who has burnt themselves out with the circus of musical firepower? How do you, fair readers, deal with the seduction of the new firearm?

I am in the same boat. Have shot just about everything, and owned quite a bit as well. My problem is that I think it is fun looking for the next best thing. Not in the sense of moving from "platform" to "platform" but in finding improvements that I enjoy. Currently I carry an M&P, but CZ is really where my heart is. I use my shadow for competition and HD. I've been pondering swapping out the EDC M&P for a CZ Compact or P-01. But I have also been jonesing for a red dot pistol (320 or M&P Core). And if the Kalashnikov PL-14 ever comes stateside...it is MINE!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What are your goals? Will continuously swapping hardware get you closer to or further away from those goals?

If your goal is to try the buffet, keep at it.

If your goal is to better at shooting, competition, or gun fighting, pick a platform and stick with it. Invest the money and time in training.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I understand your quest for the perfect handgun. I have given up my search, after many years, now that I have 2 CZ compacts. The CZ 75 D Compact PCR fits all my needs, and Mec-Gar mags are cheap. I could keep looking for something better, but after 20 years working in mental health, I know obsessions can be unhealthy. Even something as righteous as a search for the perfect handgun. "Everything in Moderation" comes to mind...and my favorite, John 14:6

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I used to have the craving to buy and try all I could but it slowed down once I found what worked for me. Some things do still change though. Most recently I had some time with a G43 and realized it blows my Shield out of the water and I will be buying one. For the most part I know what works for me and all I'm doing now days is planning to up the quantities of those firearms, accessories and ammo.

What do you mean the G43 blows your shield out of the water? Why do you like it better?

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Having been thru lots of gun(mostly practical), I focus on needs first and they Never get sold, then of course ammo/mags supply. Next as expendable income increases I stretch into the want list, but I'm not much on Safe Queens or experimental calibers.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    What are your goals? Will continuously swapping hardware get you closer to or further away from those goals?

If your goal is to try the buffet, keep at it.

If your goal is to better at shooting, competition, or gun fighting, pick a platform and stick with it. Invest the money and time in training.

That right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have been focused on the mental high you get from experiencing new equipment. And you will get stuck in this doldrums forever if you remain on the equipment fix.

Start the training fix and you will enjoy a lifetime of "high's". There are so many instructors offering training in so many disciplines, you could spend decades before you even made 1 loop around the training track.

I have been where you were. However, I am now slowly reducing my collection and I am now converting over to the training high. If you are trained, you can take a lot of different equipment and make it challenging & fun, while being effective. The tool has no more power than the person wielding it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think you need a good balance. You can't always be running around with your hair on fire, but at the same time it can be fun once in awhile.

I think always looking at guns and wanting certain ones is part of what makes the "gun hobby" so much fun.

However, like BBI said, there is a whole other side to the coin, and being able to use them. You gotta strike a balance between chasing some guns down and actually shooting them.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Thankfully, I am fortunate enough to shoot nearly every weekend. I don't need to sacrifice my practice for the new fix. I have a pool of "gun money" derived from those I let go that gets cycled into new tools. That being said, maybe I should look into taking more classes, rather than the usual IDPA, USPSA, action.

Top Bottom