• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Not carrying a slip of pink paper makes you a walking time bomb that will get an innocent person killed? You'll have to fill me in on that one...

And sure, Indiana is about as easy as it gets, other than places that don't require a permission slip at all and still turn out safer than us. (Vermont, for instance)

Whoa! I missed that when I read that post. Holy cow Denny YOU need to clarify that one! Why does that make someone dangerous to other people? Is America so full of pansies that no one can respect good old fashioned civil disobedience anymore?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't think it's funny at ALL. I have been arguing with ignorant liberals all day and I thought I would get some refreshment when I cam to INGO but then I had to stumble on this little gem.

It makes me want to puke when I see "freedom and liberty loving" INGOers saying they would call the cops on a guy with a gun not harming ANYONE.
    It's a common expression, I think you know that, but just clarifying.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'm in the "If I have to pay for it, so do you" camp. Even though I believe we should need no license I'm not going to let someone break the law and get away with it.

Feel free, but I'm not a LEO...therefore, not my job to enforce the laws of the state or even see that they get enforced. While you are free to pursue that avenue should you choose - though based on the OP, there is no reason to believe a law is being broken other than the OP being blown off.

If no visible harm is being done to another or his property, I'm going on about my business. I'll not join the "report thy neighbor" crowd every time my spidey senses might tingle, and especially not because I want to ensure a tax/fee enforcement action, as you apparently do.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    What if he was just an asshat that didn't want to show you his license or thought you were being one for asking? "Lol Wut?" isn't a reason for calling the cops.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My concern is when someone says it is his "duty" to report it when he sees someone breaking the law. That is some scary stuff right there. One of the ways that totalitarian governments keep their grip is by having citizens report each other. The KGB, Stazi and Gestapo all used those tactics. I am sure the same thing goes on in North Korea, China, et al. WOW! Welcome to Amerika.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    A lot of people who own guns do not know the laws and occasionally carry without the proper LTCH. This guy was probably ignorant as described by he OP. I was not there but I would suggest that this might be an opportunity to talk to the guy about getting legal with a LTCH and learning from INGO. He might appreciate/follow the advice and get on the right track saving him major problems in the future. Responsible gun owners should promote such responsibility.

I have no idea why your suggestion is not "common sense" and isn't being expressed by everyone on this forum. I'm actually baffled by the response on both sides of the fence here. No matter what your personal opinion on the license law is, the law is there as of right now and so it does nobody any good to ignorantly carry without a license. Likewise, calling in a MWAG when you don't know anything is just ridiculous.

I had a friend who took his gun to the range a couple years ago w/o a license (when this was still illegal). Your suggestion is exactly what I did... and he's a pretty dirty guy. Ya know what? He took his gun home after we were done and then got his license. Problem solved.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I probably would have reported him. He doesn't sound like the type I want to be representing gun owners to sheeple.

Wow, that's an amazing statement. Apply it to some of our other "rights", like freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc and see it it still sounds right to you.

if he did not have a license to carry he was carrying a firearm illegally

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.

As has been stated, he has no responsibility to provide it to the OP or anyone else who is not lawfully authorized to ask for it. He does not have to prove to the OP that he is not breaking the law.

I'd be willing to bet that law enforcement would take a "MWAG-WL" report far more seriously than a simple MWAG. You don't know that this guy has no license because the state won't give him one. Do you think this guy would get away without being detained if he showed an off-duty officer his gun and laughed at the license question?

Not sure, but I know I would not show anyone my license to carry until he/she showed me the ID that provides them authority to ask for it.

Who is 100% sure this guy doesn't have a license? He has 0 (that's Zero) legal obligation to show you (unless you are a LEO) his LTCH.

With all of that being said... I still maintain that it sounds like this guy was as illegal as they come (just not sure I'd call him in). If he "brandished and/or pointed" then I absolutely would call.

Well, since there is no brandishing law in IN, I'm not sure what that actually would require in the state of IN.

This thread is full of fail.

I am shocked that anyone would call this in at all. This is no different than the sheeple calling in a MWAG call just because they see someone open carrying.

Agreed. I just don't get it myself.

? When did I say I didn't have a right to bear arms? In case you missed my earlier post in the discussion, I would only report the guy after having informed him that he is breaking the law without a license. If he then doesn't clear things up, I'm reporting him on a non emergency line.

It isn't like I initiated the conversation (in this situation). A "none of your business" or "sure" response would end my involvement. I would personally never have asked about the license, as it is none of my business. But assuming it came up and was in question as in the OP's case, then it is my business.

On another note, I do wonder what made the OP ask about the license in the first place...

I'm just not sure what makes anyone here think that they have a right to make someone "clear things up".

I do agree that I have no understanding what made the OP ask about a license either.

I wonder how the OP would have felt if he had been asked about having a license by anyone he had encountered in the store?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    As I was walking down the street one day
    A man came up to me and asked me what
    The gun was that was on my hip, yeah...And I said

(I don't) Does anybody really know what gun it is
    (Care) Does anybody really care (about license)
    If so I can't imagine why (Oh no, no)
    We've all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
    A pretty lady looked at me
    And said her gold Taurus had jammed cold dead...And I said

(Care) Does anybody really care (about a permit)
    If so I can't imagine why (Oh no, no)
    We've all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
    Being pushed and shoved by people trying to
    Call the LEO, oh, no a MWAG
    I don't know, and I said, yes I said

(Background:)
    People runnin' everywhere
    Don't know where to go
    Don't know where I am
    Can't see past the next step
    Don't have time to think past the last mile
    Have no time to look around
    Just run around, run around and think why

(Care) Does anybody really care (about a pink slip)
    If so I carry Mexican
    We've all got time enough to die

Apologies to Chicago

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I had a friend who took his gun to the range a couple years ago w/o a license (when this was still illegal).

Wait what? You don't need a license to take your gun to the range...you never have .....

I stand corrected...I was just unaware.....my fault..

Last edited:

hunterft6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Noblesville/Fishers
    My reaction to the OP's question would have been nearly the same, though maybe somewhat more indignant. I honestly don't even understand what prompted the question regarding the license in the first place. The subject of the inquiry had no obligation or legal duty to respond to the question at all.

As to calling the "offense" in, I would have to seriously question one's basis for reporting a crime based on the described facts. I simply cannot see the rationale for doing so. There is no justifiable basis to believe that a crime was committed given this description of events and calling the police would be quite an overreaction in my opinion.

Top Bottom