Gun flippers in the INGO Classifieds....Grrrr!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    It's hardly illegal. A gray area definitely, but not expressly illegal.

Buying with the sole intent to resell for profit is not acting as an unlicensed dealer? Please explain to me the difference between that and what a dealer does. Because I think I'm missing something.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Buying with the sole intent to resell for profit is not acting as an unlicensed dealer? Please explain to me the difference between that and what a dealer does. Because I think I'm missing something.

What you're missing is that the original post is total BS

They call these spoof threads.

I honestly don't see why people think they're funny. Maybe because they like to annoy people who actually come here to read interesting posts.

If you didn't read the thread that the genius is spoofing, it may take a while and some head scratching to realize that the original poster is just being goofy.

So, thanks OP for wasting our time!
    Hope you enjoyed it!

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel

From the ATF website.

The term “engaged in the business,” as applicable to a firearms dealer, is defined as a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.

Flipping a couple of firearms during a crazy market fluctuation would not likely be seen as dealing in firearms according to the ATF's definition. While the examples of exempted groups does not protect the opportunistic firearms flipper, the definition of engaging in business does not condemn him either. Thus, it is a gray area.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    What you're missing is that the original post is total BS

They call these spoof threads.

I honestly don't see why people think they're funny. Maybe because they like to annoy people who actually come here to read interesting posts.

I did see that, and acknowledged such a couple posts ago. And yeah, it's something I don't quite understand the appeal of but it's a part of ingo subculture that's not going to change.

Flipping a couple of firearms during a crazy market fluctuation would not likely be seen as dealing in firearms according to the ATF's definition. While the examples of exempted groups does not protect the opportunistic firearms flipper, the definition of engaging in business does not condemn him either. Thus, it is a gray area.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it seems living in a gray area of the ATF is risky business. All it takes 1 cop/agent/leo to get aggressive and you're spending thousands in lawyers fees to prove you're on the correct side of a technicality.

On a side - people who really do this (not op of course) are the ones that are going to make it illegal for everyone to do it imo.

Top Bottom