• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Since there are no weapons restrictions on coyote in Indiana, you can use whatever you have or whatever you feel like carrying that day. Are you concerned with minimizing damage to the pelt? Then maybe a .223 or even a .17 cal. Personally, I like carrying my .243 for coyote. I should add that I am still trying to get my first coyote, so "carrying" the rifle is about all I've done with it to this point! :laugh:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I wanted the perfect yote rifle. After reading and asking all the correct questions I bought the classic rem 700 in 17 rem. It shot great for the first 3 to 5 shots and then copper fouled so bad that you had to scrub the heck out of it to get it back to grouping well. Add in the 17 cal cleaning rod reloading dies and supplies moly bullets lapping compound 2 trips to a smith and my own tinkering and I ended up trading it for a mint rem 700 in 222 rem. best trade I ever made. That triple deuce is a real tack driver with my hand loads. I have zero issues with copper fouling and it has given me confidence on all shots I take with it. I just cannot get it to act like the fur saving 17 rem. today I would get the 223 but that 222 round was a bench rest round for years and I like somethink a bit different.

I would steer clear of the 17 rem. wanted a hide gun and got a fouling rifle. I think the barrel was made when the rifling tap was worn out as if you looked at it with a bore scope you could see the rough marks and chattering issues on the barrel. I now know that most custom barrel makers charge more for 17 cal for a reason. To do it correctly it takes more time and better equipment.

We use a team to yote hunt now. Caller with shotgun and two rifle shooters on the outsides covering the caller. One rifle is the 222 or 223 and dad with the heavy barreled 22-250 covering those that hang up outside of range of the close rifle and shotgun. 65 percent of the time if the weather is cold enough the shotgun gets them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think a stainless TC Contender with 21" bbl, in 6mm TCU with Bullberry walnut set and a Leupold 3-9 compact would be about perfect ;)

Have a .243 700 ADL................it shoots OK, but isn't the lightest rig (even though it's a sporter).
    Am thinking of using my current TC carbine in .35 Rem.
    Cuz has a new caller, so it should be a 150 yard and in affair.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got a remington 700 in 223 that is the best coyote gun I could ask for. But I have found that many times there are multiples and with the 700 I am honestly going to kill one. With a semi auto rifle this is not the case, I am going to try out the AK this week! Most of what I am seeing is within 100 yards so I am not too worried about distance shots. The furthest I've shot one is about 200 yards… So if you can get an AR set up for killing yotes that will do it perfect especially within 300 yards and then you can fire away at the fleeing others!

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i want to get into coyote hunting...but im not a good hunter, have tried deer hunting more than a few times and havent been successful...so im not sure id have any luck with something like coyote,....that being said, i want so badly to make a winter coat or poncho from coyote pelts that i took myself

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    i want to get into coyote hunting...but im not a good hunter, have tried deer hunting more than a few times and havent been successful...so im not sure id have any luck with something like coyote,....that being said, i want so badly to make a winter coat or poncho from coyote pelts that i took myself

Haha it is funny you say that! I talked to a friend who does taxidermy about how to best tan one and make a hat… Since having the idea I've only killed two though, one didn't have the best coat and the other one I blew too big of a hole in! The only issue I am worried about besides making a crappy hat is solving the smell but I think my buddy can take care of that.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Bolt action I would go with a 22-250 as a few others have mentioned. That thing is a flat shooting rocket. If you really want an AR you could look into a 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel option if you wanted something a little different than 5.56. Everything mentioned will do the job just weigh the cost of ammunition and any other applications you might have. Rock River offers the Coyote Carbine which is a pretty sweet rig. Last time I was at Orion/Keislers they had some in stock for $1050.
    Rock River Arms: Coyote Rifle / Carbine

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my cuz runs a Stag AR I built a few yrs ago. 55gr V max rips a good hole in a yote (they aint got tough hide).
    Movers............you bet a semi auto can save the day (if you flub the first shot). 16" bbls in this weather................are painfully loud.
    I dunno how much it'd help, but if running a nice light 16" rig with a low power variable scope, it might make sense to yank the short factory flash-hider and screw on
    a longer one like this:

275983.jpg

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I’ve never even shot one of the modern sporting rifles, the AR style, but love the apparent versatility.

You've answered your own question... You want to kill coyotes and don't own, but love the AR15... seems like killing two birds with one stone. You can build one at Palmetto State Armory for less than $600 right now with little to no experience and a youtube video.

Buy:

$280 http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

$40 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar15-days-of-christmas/p-tac-lower-parts-kit.html

$40 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar15-days-of-christmas/psa-classic-m4-stock-kit-black.html

$90 http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...uto-bolt-carrier-group-w-charging-handle.html

$90 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/lower-receivers/psa-stealth-lower.html

= $500 and you have a complete AR15 with all the parts. The upper is already assembled... The lower you can assemble in about an hour (first time) with nothing more than a hammer and a small nail by following one of many youtube instructional videos.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Depends on where you hunt, here coyotes meet they're end with cast bullets out of a 44mag or 45lc. Ranges in the woods are always less than 100 yards.:)

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    .243 is a good choice and gives you deer hunting versatility in the future if the regs change or you decide to head up north. Burris is a great scope for the money, their pretty tough to beat. BUT I wouldn't want to deny you the fun of getting into the AR platform and the plethora of possibilities that brings upon you. Shotguns probably work just as good as anything around here though.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Colt M4 w/EoTech running Speer gold dots, takes about 3 rounds to end one on a full run. Good time!

The more magnifier you run the slower you will shoot as you will be trying to hard to line up the cross hairs, stick with a optic and fire as fast as recoil will allow!

iCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Porter
    .223 works great for me. Whatever your decision, get a semi-auto over a bolt gun. You wont believe how fast they run after the first shot. I use an AR and was able to get a double last year. Good luck...its more addicting than deer hunting

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    we yote hunt me and my son-inlaw he shoots a 22-250 and I have a ar and a 243 all are good guns both short and lond shots. but its really up to you on what you want to spend ? good luck and have fun...

bloodtrail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2013
    Franklin
    The .22-250 provides coyote devastation that is hard to match. High velocity thin jacket bullets wreak havoc in the small body of coyotes.
    Remington 700 VS topped with a Leupold VX III 6.5-20 for me.

If you can call them in close (60yds), a 12 gauge with high brass will easily do the trick. It's a favored weapon of most night hunters and western hunters in the sage brush.

Top Bottom