• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Well, I turned my youngest sister into a shooter. The next step is turning mom into one. Technically the plan here is to make both of my parents shooters, or at least gun owners. They are not recreational shooters and I don't think I'll ever be able to get them to that. They have been talking about 1 house gun for defense only and neither wants to carry. My thought with breaking them both in is to get something first and foremost that's comfortable for mom that dad can also shoot and that's leading me to a .410 pump shotgun. I won't lie either, I'd like to push them to a gun in the car next and my thought is a judge could be that.

However all I've heard on it is marketing about how great it is for ladies. Ladies, what's the real deal on this? Would the .410 be a good place to start for you?

Last edited:

BillyB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    The Judge is a hand cannon. If they want a house gun, a 410 or 20 gauge youth model in my opinion is a great choice and much more intimidating than a handgun.

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    I would have to agree with Billy, nothing says get out of my house better than the sound of racking the round in the chamber of a pump shotgun.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My wife prefers the .410 The 20ga has too much kick for her to enjoy it.

You can toss some added weight into the butt of the stock, and add a really good shock absorbing pad. 20 gauge is far easier to find ammo for.

I've never been a big fan of .410's, other than for dove hunting.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you for the input. Finding ammo won't be an issue. They live right next to Bass Pro Shops headquarters in Missouri (feel my jealousy, lol). I'll take a look at the 870 .410.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    you say MOM. is that like a 45 year old mom or a 65 year old mom ??
    a shotgun may be a little much for a older woman.

Top Bottom