• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    My Dad will be 65 this year! For his birthday, my brothers and I would like to get him a gun. He doesn't do much target shooting, maybe once or twice a year. He mostly uses his guns for killing groundhogs and moles. He currently uses either a 410 single shot shotgun or a .22 mag derringer.

Here is what we are looking for in a gun for him:

- Low recoil
    - not much noise
    - able to mount a scope or some other type of sight such as a red dot

Here are few factors we keep in mind:
    - his eye sight is getting worse and he is becoming more uncomfortable with regular gun sights. Hence the need for either a scope or other sight.
    - he lives just inside the city and technically should not be shooting, hence the need for a type of ammo that does not make a lot of noise.
    - can be either at handgun or rifle
    - he will be shooting at distances from 5-40 yards.
    - the obvious might be a .22lr but we really want to buy him something different (but realize this may be our best option.)
    - some types of ammo that we have discussed are: .17, .25-06, .204 Ruger, etc.

Thanks for any advice!!

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Id just get a nice little 22 bolt gun with a good scope Itl be good for just about any of that without having to bother with finding ammo plus its cheap to feed. Or get an airgun?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +1 for a .22 Bolt Gun..

You didn't say how much time you have to shop before His Birthday. If you have the time (Months) to shop around, try to find a nice Rem.,Win.,Marlin bolt gun, with a tube magazine, wood stock, and grooved for scope.
    Your Dad is about 7 years older than me, but there is just something "Nice" about an older QUALITY rifle, or any gun,for that matter.

Do your homework and go to a few local gun shows, and find a good used Rem.,Win., or Marlin, with all original finishes, and little internal wear.

I think this will bring a "Gleam" to your Dad's eyes....Bill.

PS: Since noise is a factor, most of these guns will shoot CCI CB Caps, that have a very low report..

The noise factor+price of ammo should rule out these ^^^ calibers??..

Last edited:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    22lr is my first choice. If you want to be different how about a 22Hornet?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    22lr is my first choice. If you want to be different how about a 22Hornet?

IMO, the Hornet would be a good choice for 100-150yds. shots (OP said 5-40 I think?)

If the OP does not reload the Hornet ammo can run $1.00 per shot, to me not real cost effective for a mole or Groundhog??HA HA...Bill.

PS: I DO reload+the .22 Hornet is my "Cheap" way to do .22Magnum work..HA HA..

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Another vote for a Henry "Golden Boy" in .22mag or .17? There isn't a man out there that wouldn't love to get his hands on a beautiful western lever action rifle, especially a Henry! We got my dad one a year ago and he beams with pride whenever he gets to bring it out and show it off.

Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    While I wouldn't say that money is no problem. He wouldn't shoot the gun enough to really care about the cost of ammo. There would be some initial ammo used to sight in the gun and then just enough on hand to do a little "varmint hunting" in the backyard.

We may just end up going with a .22 but I wanted to explore other options for ammo. My brother is really interested in getting him one in the .17.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My Dad will be 65 this year! For his birthday, my brothers and I would like to get him a gun. He doesn't do much target shooting, maybe once or twice a year. He mostly uses his guns for killing groundhogs and moles. He currently uses either a 410 single shot shotgun or a .22 mag derringer.

Here is what we are looking for in a gun for him:

- Low recoil
    - not much noise
    - able to mount a scope or some other type of sight such as a red dot

Here are few factors we keep in mind:
    - his eye sight is getting worse and he is becoming more uncomfortable with regular gun sights. Hence the need for either a scope or other sight.
    - he lives just inside the city and technically should not be shooting, hence the need for a type of ammo that does not make a lot of noise.
    - can be either at handgun or rifle
    - he will be shooting at distances from 5-40 yards.
    - the obvious might be a .22lr but we really want to buy him something different (but realize this may be our best option.)

Thanks for any advice!!

A Ruger 22/45 .22LR.....scope mount..threaded barrel....and a suppressor. The perfect solution. The varmints will never know what hit them. :)

Now, if this is for home protection, Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun. Period.

Top Bottom