• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    Well thanks to Obama and the economy my mother wants a handgun for HD and CCW (So I guess something good did come from obama)

My mother is 5'1'' 115 and not the strongest women in the world. I took her shooting and here are the results:

1911: can't move the slide
    xdm 9mm: shoots well but struggles to move the slide
    p3at: doesn't shoot good and struggles to move the slide
    G27: shoots OK but struggles to move the slide
    .38 special old S&W: takes both hands to pull the trigger
    AR-15: she loves it:D

Since an AR-15 is not a good CCW, I want to find something she can operate easily and shoot well. I want something that is big enough to get the job done (no .22) and something that is as reliable as a Glock:D.

Any suggestions on a revolver that has an easy to pull trigger or a 9mm that slide is easy to pull back?

It goes without saying that she will receive a lot of training and will know how to use her firearm properly. But she needs a handgun she can operate before that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I vote for a .38 Special revolver that's had a trigger tune-up on it...perhaps slightly larger grips, too.

But it, ultimately, is up to her and what she's comfortable with.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    You really need to read this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html

I'm going to leave this open since it looks like you've taken her to try a number of different firearms.

Thanks, and I did read it. I know its her choice but she is asking me for help so I thought I would allow her to shoot as many firearms I can get ahold of. From that experience I learned she is too weak for many firearms. So in helping her make her choice I need to come up with a list of firearms that she is able to handle and let her shoot those and then choose.

She really likes the xdm and glock but being stuggling to rack the slide it doesn't matter how well she shoots and likes those guns. So its her decision but I am not going to recommend a gun she cannot fully operate. If fact its unsafe for her to own such a gun. I have never had this problem so I am trying to get ideas for a good gun for a physically weak person.

I think a revolver with a trigger job may be a good choice, but they are not the funnest things to shoot and I want her to want to go to the range and become a good shooter. But if thats the only gun she can operate easily then I may have to go with that.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Go to this web site: corneredcat.com

It is written by a women for women about guns. She has a good article there about how to rack a slide for someone with weaker hands. Lot of other good advice for women as well.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The biggest thing, as described on cornered cat, is to talk about holding the slide and pushing the bottom of the pistol away. I do not know why that makes it easier, but it does. My fiancee also had trouble with hand strength to rack the slide on some, until I explained it that way and the problem went away. That said, there is nothing at all wrong with a good revolver.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 indyjoe. She's most probably not using a technique to employ her strongest upper body muscles. Suggestion: Have her grasp the slide with one hand, the grip with the other, and with arms and wrists locked, "rotate" the upper body and shoulders to move the grip hand forward and the slide hand back. A bit tricky to describe in words. Makes a big difference. Once she gets the technique, then she'll have more of a choice in handguns.

FWIW - the slides on most "full-size" .380's, like the SIG P232, Bersa Thunder 380, Walther, etc. are pretty easy to pull back (poor stopping power notwithstanding). You shoot what you can.

Last edited:

EvilleFirepower

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I would go with a cylinder gun so she doesn't have to "tap-and-rack" if there is a misfire. Just keep pulling. Hammerless S & W Airweight with a laser sight grip makes for a nice purse gun. Not sure on the trigger pull. It's been a while since I shot one and I wasn't thinking about it at the time. If I recall the sights suck pretty bad which is one reason I recommend the laser.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would consider a j-frame size revolver in .327 mag. Signifcantly less felt recoil than a .38 special, and perhaps superior terminal ballistics. Plus they hold six rounds instead of five.

A trigger job would be absolutely necessary. You'd want to get the trigger pull as light as possible and still reliably ignite any primers on the market.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    1911: can't move the slide
    xdm 9mm: shoots well but struggles to move the slide
    p3at: doesn't shoot good and struggles to move the slide
    G27: shoots OK but struggles to move the slide
    .38 special old S&W: takes both hands to pull the trigger
    AR-15: she loves it:D

Since an AR-15 is not a good CCW...

An AR-15 isn't a good choice for a CCW...surely you jest. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds like you need to visit your favorite local gun shop and start at one end of the couter and have her rack any slides she can get her hands on.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Sounds like you need to visit your favorite local gun shop and start at one end of the couter and have her rack any slides she can get her hands on.
    +1 to that...

That said, pulling the slide back was (is still) one of the things I struggled with, too, when I first started looking at handguns. I can't tell you how many I put down just because I couldn't move the slide. However, I haven't met a SIG yet that didn't agree with me unless it was in DA mode. You might have her try a P250. It's DAO, but the trigger pull is really light compared to most DA guns (6# I think). If you're in the Indy area, we can meet up and she can try mine.

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Everyone struggles to operate the slide on a pistol the first few times, right?

Don't sell your Mom short (joke: She's 5'1"). Take her out a few times and see if her slide operation skills improve before you commit to a wimpy firearm.

Also, the .357 Mag is punishing, but the .38 Special fringes on the wimpy. How about a larger, slower round like a .45 Colt in a modern style revolver to avoid both wimpidity and punishment on the transmitting end? Taurus makes this thing they call, "The Judge," that takes both .45 Colt and .410 shotgun shells that has been getting favorable paper, recently.

Watch a movie of it, if you'd like.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    My mom likes the new Walther PK 380, good safety options, pretty easy to move slide, its lightweight and fits her small mit well.
    Just something to add to the list of things to put in her hand.
    I'm not particularly a .380 fan and I havn't shot it yet, but for close range self defense it should do the job just fine.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My SP101 has a better trigger than most new Smiths. And it doesn't kick near as much as an Airweight.

.38 SPL+P stings my hand in an Airweight; the only thing that stings my hand in the .357 2.25" SP101 is a hot 110gr .357 Magnum load.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN

Or have her take my Basic pistol Course. :D She will get to load unload and dry fire several types of semi autos to include Springfield XD SC, Glock 19, Bersa .380, Kel Tec P3AT, Taurus 1911, AND several revolvers. it's a great way to figure out what you like and what you don't as well as what your physical limitations are. Not to mention you get a great shooting fundamentals and safety foundation!

If she has no handgun of her own on live fire day, she will fire 2 types of revolvers and 2 types of semi autos. She will also get a few rounds through the Glock 19. (Because it's a good starter gun.) Good luck!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom