• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • splojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    LaPorte, IN
    Hello all! Im looking for a gun for my girlfriend. The Sig P238 has been suggested and im considering it. I was wondering what other type of handgun would be a good carry and conceal gun, going to be put in a purse most likely. Thanks for any input!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Probably depends on her level of experience. I second the vote for the Sig P238. I have one and it is excellent. A Beretta Tomcat .32 might work if she has problems with the slide (like my gf).

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Sig P238 gets my vote, though it is pricey. it was the only gun my wife expressed interest in. I would also look at the Taurus 709, though the trigger does kinda suck.

Glock 26 might be a bit large for purse carry, but it's a great subcompact.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    +1 for the Sig. My wife carries it and shoots it every weekend. She now after 1,220 rounds can be considered Annie Oakley. It has had no problems and has been flawless with all types of ammo.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    you should let her handle as many as possible and choose something that she likes/is comfortable with....although, for them shooting it is ENTIRELY different than feel (due to recoil)...I went through the same thing with my wife...she LOVED the feel of the G23...but didn't like the snappiness of the .40......after long hard searching we selected a Kahr 9mm with all metal frame which helps a little more with felt recoil....she is a tiny girl and wears tight clothing, but this gun is manageable and you can't even notice it on her cc

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    you should let her handle as many as possible and choose something that she likes/is comfortable with....although, for them shooting it is ENTIRELY different than feel (due to recoil)...I went through the same thing with my wife...she LOVED the feel of the G23...but didn't like the snappiness of the .40......after long hard searching we selected a Kahr 9mm with all metal frame which helps a little more with felt recoil....she is a tiny girl and wears tight clothing, but this gun is manageable and you can't even notice it on her cc

Good advice here. My gf handled many many pistols before she found one she liked. She ended up with an Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. She loves it, although it wouldn't be good to cc with. They do make a compact version. :dunno:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    also, consider that the 380 and 38 are considered to be the "minimal" effective self defense caliber(s) by most of the field's experts....and if your lady is not a considerable shot, you may wish to pick something that's a good compromise of power/ recoil recovery such as a 9mm....at least it would be a LITTLE more likely to stop/slow down someone should she just manage to "wing" them

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Thanks for the early input. Probably going to try and get her conceal and carry permit and firearm this weekend.

"conceal AND carry permit"....just remember that it DOES NOT HAVE to be concealed in this state...although many less informed LEO's will try to tell you otherwise

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Don't forget about the lowly revolver. I think a S&W Airweight is quite possibly the perfect answer to your question. Revolvers don't quite have the "cool" factor of a semi-auto. But they are a great option that shouldn't be overlooked.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    1.) Purse carry is dumb. If I were going to rob your girlfriend, what do you think I would go for first...?

2.) She needs to go to the fun store and hold them. You can ask all day, but if its not right to her (size/weight/etc.) then its never going to work. Giggity. Id say stick with 9mm.

3.) Have her watch this... just dont let her catch you looking at her "holster" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

Good luck!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Revolver with a shrouded hammer....so that, should the need ever arise, it can be fired from inside a purse and not jam or hang up on anything.

I know my wife can tend to be a little limp wristed at the range, so not needing a slide to cycle is a benefit too.

My wife really wanted a raspberry LCP but I got her a taurus 651 in .357 mag....She calls it "her" gun and wants to get a purse holster now...I think thats stupid but hey, at least shes drinking the kool-aid.

She wants my browning, but shes gonna have to inherit that...lol.

God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:
    Top Bottom