• ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Ruger SR9c

I can't believe that no one has suggested that yet. It's small, thin, conceals well, yet, with the 17 round mag can be made into a full size pistol for fun trips to the range for practice. And it is a 9mm, so the ammo is cheaper and more readily available than those smaller caliber. Oh the rear sight is adjustable as well.

The ergo's of the pistol are also excellent. It has an adjustable backstrap so she can decide how the grip is the most comfortable for her. The magazine capacity is also superior to those that have already been suggested. 10 rounds in he compact mag and 17 in the full size one.

My girl love the SR9c

IMG_0322.jpg

Below is a detailed review of of the Ruger SR9c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VudqJG3-54

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My wifes guns are a full bull barrel wadcutter gun by Joe K., and a 2" K frame snub.

speedloaders work with both, loading trays, manual of arms etc.

Works.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    1.) Purse carry is dumb. If I were going to rob your girlfriend, what do you think I would go for first...?

2.) She needs to go to the fun store and hold them. You can ask all day, but if its not right to her (size/weight/etc.) then its never going to work. Giggity. Id say stick with 9mm.

3.) Have her watch this... just dont let her catch you looking at her "holster" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

Good luck!

That is actually a good video series, for both guys and girls. Love the family guy reference, I say that all the time and it drives my wife nuts.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I would consider a .22 walther. I think the walther .22 is a great gun to carry and conceal.

The:rockwoot: wife just shot my pf9 and even with warning about the recoil, she only shot 4 rounds. She just couldn't control the flip. The p22 however, she absolutely loves. And lets face it, nobody wants to get shot by anything, including a .22, and if that's all they can handle, it's better than nothing.

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Im buying my wife a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. She shot my XD just fine, cant handle my Ultra Carry in .45, understandably so, and loves the feel of 1911s. Besides I want an EMP anyway.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Listen to all the good advice and then go and shoot an LC9. They are very comfortable to shoot despite their compact size. Whatever you decide on it is important to let her try it out first. It is amazing how individual that "feel" of the handgun in your hand is IMO.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Like any method of carry you have to train with it. Purse carry has it's place for some ladies. Most important is firearm selection. Again, here's my stock response......

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can hit your target.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Im looking for a gun for my girlfriend. The Sig P238 has been suggested and im considering it.

Firstly, as mentioned upthread, let HER pick it out. You should be helping her look...not doing the looking. SHE should be the one doing the "considering", not you.
    Aside from that, if it absolutely positively has to be purse carry...make SURE it's a very secure compartment for the gun (built in holster is optimal...but at the very least, no "thin fabric" divider that can let keys/pens/whatever from the next compartment poke & catch inside any trigger guard, jostling things around).

To reiterate Jay's post, take her shopping and let her try them on like shoes. Take the purse she plans on using, to make sure it fits (and that it is for sure what she wants to do). Don't let people (guys) talk her into a teeny plastic lightweight gun that will not be fun to shoot because it hurts...If it's unpleasant to shoot, she won't practice with it.
    No practice = no proficiency. Add panic/stress to that... not a good plan.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Buy her a 500 Smith. Or buy a John Ross special. When she cant handle the recoil, just shake your head and tell her your sorry, but you cant return the gun. You just got yourself a new gun out of it.

You might of lost a GF but you got a new gun :rockwoot:

I did this nifty trick on my wife a few yrs ago. I wanted a 45acp I liked, had to have an excuse. Grips were too big for her hands, miraculously fit mine perfectly. She didn't like it, I got a new 45 out of it. Still got my wife too, to boot. Worked out perfectly. :laugh:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    @jetgirl I thought he was implying that you were being defensive (in as your arguments on this forum, not a woman literally defending herself) I meant nothing by it, but I was about to :popcorn:

Top Bottom