• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jarheadcatfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Georgetown
    Ok INGO I'm looking to get my wife a handgun that she can call her own. I strictly have 1911's and glocks in .45acp. Let's just say she doesn't like to shoot these. I think I'd like to get an auto, and must have a safety. So what are you lady's, or your wives shooting? Best caliber you recommend?
    Thanks

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My wife has a Walther PK380 that she loves, but as said before, if you can get here out have her try out several to see what feels good in her hand.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Take her out and find out what she likes is your best bet.

What Allen said... (Anything but a Glock though) :D:stickpoke:

I can tell you what happened with my wife. She had a Taurus 38 spec wheel gun, but decided she liked the Bersa 380 Thunder, then decided that loading the clip and racking the slide, etc--the mechanics of a semi auto--was a pain. Sooo, we sold the Bersa and got her--a S&W 38 spec wheel gun (442) Go figure. She likes the "point & click" better. But I'm happy cause she's comfortable with it. Remember, "If momma's not happy, nobody's happy."

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I agree with the Walther PK380. Its a slim comfortable shooter with ambidextrous safety and mag release. It is my wifes CC gun and she likes to shoot it. Hardly any recoil, very easy to rack and pretty accurate. I have only handled other small 380s and a lot are a b***h to rack. :twocents:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I picked out my wifes first gun MP40c she never carried it. She picked out her next gun Ruger LCP with Crimson laser grips, she carries it all the time. Baby steps on getting her to practice and take care of the gun. She has been carry about 2 years now.

dyoung707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Mooresville
    It seems every one leans towards a .380 when it comes to a ladies gun. You might as well make it pink. I think the proper frame size is more important. It's not like a 9 kicks much harder, sometimes less with proper frame.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It seems every one leans towards a .380 when it comes to a ladies gun. You might as well make it pink. I think the proper frame size is more important. It's not like a 9 kicks much harder, sometimes less with proper frame.

I agree, for me .380 is not the best solution.
    If you want a compact gun you can still find a very compact 9mm, its easier to find and cheaper than the .380 so your can practice more for less money.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you knew my wife, you would understand.

...I'm not sure how to respond to that... If it's really that bad, I mean, if she can't be trusted with a gun that doesn't have a safety, she can't be trusted with a gun that has one?

A person shouldn't treat a gun any differently if it has a safety or doesn't.

... or am I completely missing the point?

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Definitely, let her choose!

I have a Taurus .380 - small and easy to conceal, but snappy to shoot and takes practice to rack the slide because it is so short.

My preference is an SR9C - more difficult to conceal as I am small, but nicer to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and more stopping power. I love this firearm.:): That means I practice much more with it and even have started reloading.

Generally, I carry my Ruger, but if concealability or style of dress is more of an issue I take the Taurus.

Best advice I got. Take your time, try out lots of firearms (both handling and shooting them) and best of all; enjoy the thrill of the hunt.:D

Don't shop with any preconceived ideas. You may be surprised at what she likes; I found that what I thought I wanted was not in the running at the end. I sure had fun trying them out, though!:twocents:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My wife has a Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact in 9mm. She likes the looks of it, and that was quite important. She would never carry a pistol without a safety and it has one. She loves shooting it.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Ok INGO I'm looking to get my wife a handgun that she can call her own. I strictly have 1911's and glocks in .45acp. Let's just say she doesn't like to shoot these. I think I'd like to get an auto, and must have a safety. So what are you lady's, or your wives shooting? Best caliber you recommend?
    Thanks

Someone else asked the question, and I'll repeat it-- Who is driving this? You or your wife? What does SHE want? Your statement, "I think I'd like to get an auto" tells me your wife is probably doomed to get a gun she won't like or won't shoot. If it's her gun, it should be her choice. A gun is a very personal thing. Many factors go into it. Her hand size & strength, her experience with guns, her reason for wanting a gun, how she'll want to carry, etc. There have been many threads like this here, and there is a sticky that addresses this here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/12684-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html

For what it's worth, which should be very little, my husband bought me a Ruger LCP .380 as an EDC, which I struggled with, as it was NOT a great first gun. If we had discussed it more and I had tried out some guns, I am fairly sure I'd have ended up with a Ruger SR9c, which will likely be my next purchase.

The short answer is, it doesn't really matter what anyone says here. Take her to some gun shops, let her handle some guns, get some answers to her own questions. Take her to a range where she can shoot a variety of guns and then ask her what she wants. Then you'll know what gun to buy.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Just because a revolver is functionally "simpler" than a semi-auto, doesn't make it any more of a ladies gun than any other firearm. To assume that a lady must "love guns" before being able to cope with a mechanical safety, is silly. Personal preference is one thing, and gender bias is another. You don't have to love guns in order to carry one, but if you carry without being proficient with your chosen firearm, you're a fool....male or female.

The age-old "trade-off" in handguns is especially applicable to the ladies..... short barrel, light weight, only 5 or 6 rounds equals much more perceived recoil. REGARDLESS OF GENDER. That being said, anyone can learn to shoot any caliber, as well as learn to shoot either a revolver, or a semi-auto. If the safety is that much of an issue, consider a double action only semi auto..... same basic function (point and pull the trigger) but you get 4 more rounds..... Just sayin' ..... the Para Ordinance LDA series has a double-action trigger that is far superior to most ANY out-of-the-box revolver.

Shoes...... when you buy 'em, you try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em..... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to break in the shoes, and your feet.

Guns..... try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em......... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to practice with it, and enhance your ability to use it.....

Buying a handgun simply because someone else has one is just foolish. If there were a "best" handgun, we'd all own it, and there wouldn't be the huge selection of handguns to choose from.

Hey ........

GO SHOPPING

Top Bottom