• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Someone else asked the question, and I'll repeat it-- Who is driving this? You or your wife? What does SHE want? Your statement, "I think I'd like to get an auto" tells me your wife is probably doomed to get a gun she won't like or won't shoot. If it's her gun, it should be her choice. A gun is a very personal thing. Many factors go into it. Her hand size & strength, her experience with guns, her reason for wanting a gun, how she'll want to carry, etc. There have been many threads like this here, and there is a sticky that addresses this here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/12684-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html

For what it's worth, which should be very little, my husband bought me a Ruger LCP .380 as an EDC, which I struggled with, as it was NOT a great first gun. If we had discussed it more and I had tried out some guns, I am fairly sure I'd have ended up with a Ruger SR9c, which will likely be my next purchase.

The short answer is, it doesn't really matter what anyone says here. Take her to some gun shops, let her handle some guns, get some answers to her own questions. Take her to a range where she can shoot a variety of guns and then ask her what she wants. Then you'll know what gun to buy.
    Good choice with the SR9c :yesway:

jarheadcatfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Georgetown
    Thank you all for your responses. When I said you would have to know my wife, I guess I just wasn't clear enough. She has finally agreed to get a handgun, but with the stipulation that it had a safety. We have a three year old and she feels that would be best. I apologize for not being more clear in my post.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thank you all for your responses. When I said you would have to know my wife, I guess I just wasn't clear enough. She has finally agreed to get a handgun, but with the stipulation that it had a safety. We have a three year old and she feels that would be best. I apologize for not being more clear in my post.

What does having a 3y/o have to do with having an external manual safety on the firearm?

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    As a novice gun owner my wife was not excited about getting a handgun without a external safety. I have all Glocks since that is what I am comfirtable with not having that extra external safety. compromise was she settled on a Sig 238 in .380 auto. has a external safety and she likes the lower recoil of .380 VS my .40 S&W guns.

eventually she will probably step up to a 9mm but this was what SHE was comfortable with after a lot of shopping and asking a lot of people different questions.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Ok INGO I'm looking to get my wife a handgun that she can call her own. I strictly have 1911's and glocks in .45acp. Let's just say she doesn't like to shoot these. I think I'd like to get an auto, and must have a safety. So what are you lady's, or your wives shooting? Best caliber you recommend?
    Thanks

I was in basically the same boat as you. I own 1911 and Glocks. So, I introduced by wife to a Kimber Ultra, and she hated it--yes really. Then I put a Glock 26 in her hand and she liked it better than the Kimber, but was never real comfortable with it. One afternoon she shot her friends carry piece, a S & W 66 .357. She can shoot tiny groups and do it quickly. I am very impressed with her shooting with that weapon.

Take her out with some folks to where she can shoot a vast bunch of different guns and don't force her into your mold--like I did. That can get expensive--it would have been real expensive if we got the Kimber.

Top Bottom