• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yep. Amazing how they blame the mere presence of the gun and not human error. It didn't just magically decide to fire the moment it hit his paw. He had to play with it. Thought process probably went something like - Wow, I can't believe there's really a gun in this sock. But it can't be loaded. Can it? Pulls trigger.

But after all, the message of the media comes shining through once again - guns are evil.

This just serves to support Kirk's idea that gun handling should be required learning for anybody graduating high school. Using the logic liberals do about other things: Too many people aren't getting it at home, it is important that they are taught proper handling by the public schools.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This just serves to support Kirk's idea that gun handling should be required learning for anybody graduating high school. Using the logic liberals do about other things: Too many people aren't getting it at home, it is important that they are taught proper handling by the public schools.

A great idea whose time has come. I hope to see it in my lifetime, but....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm sure judging from hindsight by people familiar with guns is a lot different than suddenly being confronted with a gun unexpectedly by someone who likely has very limited to no experience with them. I bet no one here finding a lump in a sock thinks "huh, that'll probably be a gun." Combine that with how do you know which direction its pointing as you shake it out? Do you feel it while its inside the sock to determine, which could lead to a discharge? Do you just leave any unidentified item where it is because it could be a gun? *IF* it happened like its made out, then it could happen to any of us.

Now, I'd have to see the gun, see his hands, see the angle of entry, etc. to try and confirm or contradict his story as I would be skeptical, but I can't hold anyone responsible for safe handling of a gun that didn't realize was a gun and had no realistic way of expecting it to be a gun.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

With the Liberal mind set today, if a teacher tried to properly educate students about firearm safety, they would be arrested for showing pictures in a book and saying firearm!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sure judging from hindsight by people familiar with guns is a lot different than suddenly being confronted with a gun unexpectedly by someone who likely has very limited to no experience with them. I bet no one here finding a lump in a sock thinks "huh, that'll probably be a gun." Combine that with how do you know which direction its pointing as you shake it out? Do you feel it while its inside the sock to determine, which could lead to a discharge? Do you just leave any unidentified item where it is because it could be a gun? *IF* it happened like its made out, then it could happen to any of us.

Now, I'd have to see the gun, see his hands, see the angle of entry, etc. to try and confirm or contradict his story as I would be skeptical, but I can't hold anyone responsible for safe handling of a gun that didn't realize was a gun and had no realistic way of expecting it to be a gun.

Having worked on the HVAC systems at most all of the Goodwill stores in this state I can tell you those folks are by no means Rhode scholars. Not a knock but hey, some are fairly challanged. If you go through the main drop store on the east side of Indy that place is a ZOO. Most of the folks in there spend the day sorting out other peoples crap....literally.
    I can see how this would happen.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I have shopped at that Unique a number of times. Found pretty good bargains.

I don't think it is a dump gun, though. There are far better places where a gun can permanently disappear and not come back to haunt you. I'd bet that some momma or wife gathered it up and dropped it at Unique, not realizing that someone in the home was using the sock drawer as a hide away stash. I do agree that chances are good that they'll find some other crime attached to it after ballistics.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have shopped at that Unique a number of times. Found pretty good bargains.

I don't think it is a dump gun, though. There are far better places where a gun can permanently disappear and not come back to haunt you. I'd bet that some momma or wife gathered it up and dropped it at Unique, not realizing that someone in the home was using the sock drawer as a hide away stash. I do agree that chances are good that they'll find some other crime attached to it after ballistics.

I agree...and I have frequented Unique as well. My favorite used to be the Salvation Army store on US 6 at 51 in Hobart, before the tore it down and built the new one. The old one had some neat furniture and collectibles.

I find it very easy to believe that someone didn't know what was in the sock, shook it out and grabbed at it as it fell, realizing too late it was a gun.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I agree...and I have frequented Unique as well. My favorite used to be the Salvation Army store on US 6 at 51 in Hobart, before the tore it down and built the new one. The old one had some neat furniture and collectibles.

I find it very easy to believe that someone didn't know what was in the sock, shook it out and grabbed at it as it fell, realizing too late it was a gun.
    Couple of likely scenarios. Yours is as good as any of them. Equally probably is that the person who found it tried to handle it without knowing what they were doing and fired it by mistake. The other equally possible event was the person who found it just wanted to goof off and pulled the trigger not understanding that all guns are loaded. Now that I think about it, a fourth possiblity exists. I think it could be that the two folk began fighting over it, from a variety of different reasons. One then accidentally pulled the trigger on the other.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    The guy pulled the trigger. We may never know if it was intentional or not. But we do know that triggers do not pull themselves.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    The thought that a .22lr is in some way less than lethal is nonsense. Before developments in suppressor technology the US Navy used suppressed .22lr autos in covert operations by special forces in situations where discretion was the priority.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom