• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrclean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Keeping gun or ammo in a hot black truck in the summer. Like at work or somewhere you would not carry. Is it safe? I know you should not make a habbit of leaving guns but what do you guys think. I guess what im asking is there any chance of ammo getting too hot and going off. Or at very least affecting the ammo in a negitive way. Not going off or not ejecting properly. Was thinking of keeping 50 or so in the glove box just in case. I know im a mental midget but just asking

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    LEO's keep their service weapons and various ammo in their cars. No different. Temperature being the only concern. You would be safe to do so.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    How hot does your vehicle get?

Now think about how hot polymers have to be to melt.

Or how hot steel has to be to melt.

Or how hot the controlled explosion is when you fire the handgun.

See where I'm going with this?

The polymers WILL be slightly more pliable when warm. Just a fact of life there.

But you'll not have any issues.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Keeping gun or ammo in a hot black truck in the summer. Like at work or somewhere you would not carry. Is it safe? I know you should not make a habbit of leaving guns but what do you guys think. I guess what im asking is there any chance of ammo getting too hot and going off. Or at very least affecting the ammo in a negitive way. Not going off or not ejecting properly. Was thinking of keeping 50 or so in the glove box just in case.

You're good to go MC, don't worry about an evil black vehicle and getting to hot. :D

I know im a mental midget but just asking

Can I print this line above out and take to work, I want to SO bad.

BTW, nothing like being home and getting a windshield replaced after taking a small boulder right below the wiper and getting a 18 inch crack from it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if it's a glock you just may find a puddle in your car....lol.....i have guns all the time in my black suburban and never had any trouble...

mrclean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    You're good to go MC, don't worry about an evil black vehicle and getting to hot. :D

Can I print this line above out and take to work, I want to SO bad.

BTW, nothing like being home and getting a windshield replaced after taking a small boulder right below the wiper and getting a 18 inch crack from it.

Use the quote with my blessing. Heck you can say you made it up:):. I use it often. I also like If they shoved your brain up a nats bass it would be like a BB in a boxcar. Bass used as its as near to the word as I can think of lol!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Think about the conditions in Iraq and Afghanistan, where temperatures get MUCH hotter than Indiana, and they have lots of rounds in and around hot vehicles.

I've never had any of the guys I've talked to mentioned ADs from heat. I'm pretty sure you'll be good to go here in IN.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I had a van of mine catch fire in the engine, when the fire was finally extinguished by the fire dept. It was a complete loss, total singe. A fireman brought my 2 loaded magazines for my 92FS to me and said I think these are yours. I didn't trust them to carry around but I did shoot both mags later that day.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    There was a I belive a "Myth Busters" episode on just that
    mater. I think you can find it on YouTube. They could not get
    anything to ignite in a hot vehicle.

:ingo::patriot:

Top Bottom