• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    To be fair, I carry a cocked and locked P938 in my pocket everyday. Have for years. In a Mika pocket holster. Nothing other than the gun and holster goes into that pocket...ever. And I don't have a greedy girlfriend. My wife has access to our bank account.

Although I normally agree with Kirk (like the 4 rules are not broken), I have to disagree with Kirk here.

I have also pocket carried for 7-8 years now. It can be done quite successfully if some rules are followed. Just like gun ownership can be safe for everyone if the 4 rules are followed.

So without any more delay...here are my rules of pocket carry

1. NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING else may go into a pocket if a gun or magazine is in that pocket.

Not only can foreign objects in your pocket cause an ND if the trigger is pulled, they can cause malfunctions when you need that gun most. Keep the pocket clean and don't let anything else in there....even girlfriends! :D

I use cargo pants and carry in the regular pockets so the weight of my gun does not beat the crap out of my legs. My cargo pockets keep my keys and other such items. I don't "mistakenly" put items in my carry pockets because I do this all the time, and it is a regular system for me now.

2. All guns must be in a Kydex holster that completely (all the way up to the grip) cover the trigger guard.

I say Kydex because other materials can soften over time, unlike kydex. If you were to bump into the corner of something (like the corner of a metal shelf at a store) and it poked into your pocket area right where the trigger of the gun is...that hard kydex holster would resist a trigger pull far, far better than softer leather or nylon or whatever material is being used. And it MUST cover that trigger guard all the way to the grip to ensure nothing can get behind that holster to push it out of the way and allow the trigger to be pulled. I prefer Alabama Holsters myself for Pocket carry.

http://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

3. Do not coonfinger your gun at any time.

Nuff said. It does not matter what carry system you choose (open, IWB, OWB, Appendix, duct taped to forehead) if you coonfinger your gun, you WILL have a ND and you will very probably injure yourself along with some innocent person. If you feel the need to coonfinger your gun, you should leave your gun at home. Get some training to learn this is not the "one ring to rule them all", and stop acting like gollum. This is a tool and just like a mechanic or tradesman, if you don't know how the use the tool, you will do more harm than good.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...if you coonfinger your gun, you WILL have a ND and you will very probably injure yourself along with some innocent person...

Why would you point it in an unsafe direction while coonfingering it?

That's violating the first and most important rule of safe gun handling.

Top Bottom