• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been reading some differing opinions on this.

Some people use their homeowners/renters policy to insure their guns.

Some people take out a supplemental policy.

Some people use an actual "gun insurance" company to insure their collection.

What's everyone using and why?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did you do a search here? This has been discussed in the past year, so you might find some better answers.

Personally, it's a part of my home insurance.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    State Farm will insure up to a certain dollar amount, like $2500 or $5000 (I don't remember exactly), just by putting it on your policy. If you want more than that then you need to give them an itemized list.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    most homeowner policys are a joke when it comes to firearms(at best!)

I talked to my agent(he's had my home,life,auto for 25 years) and he told me that I needed to get a written appraisal on every gun I owned, since I work at a shop I asked if I could do it, and he said no, so paying someone 25-30 per gun is kinda expensive, in addition to the set amount per 1000 dollars you need to cover

if you are in the nra(if not you should be) they have a basic policy that's free with your membership(2500 I think) and they don't need any record of sn's till you report a loss, and you can pay extra to cover the additional value if you own more than 2500.00

NOW the best route is to find an agent that knows what a firearms owner needs, and the best agent for that would be a gun owner, shooter, enthusiast, you know one of "us". if you get the right policy, and you if you are involved in a self defense shooting it'll help cover attorney's fees, and lawsuit's!

I know an agent that sells those kind of policy's, if you pm me,(once you get your 50 quality posts) i'll give you his contact info (since he's not a site supporter or advertiser here, I don't want to anger the mod gods, by posting his info) but he's a life member of the nra (benefactor I think) huge firearms enthusiast and damn nice guy!, and even tho he's here in eville, he sell all around Indiana!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have nothing but good things to say about Liberty Mutual homeowners.

They never asked for a catalogue of my firearms or any of my belongings up front.

I had 4 guns stolen in a break in. I provided them with photos and serial numbers after the fact (I had stored on a thumb drive). I also gave them a list of all the ammo, pistol boxes, safe, jewelry and electronics that were stolen or damaged.

Their policy is to replace items with the exact item or better, or cut you a check for the value (minus the deductible). The only thing they don't cover is cash, because there is no way to verify the amount.

They replaced all my ammo, including defensive ammo, two handguns, a pistol safe and a laptop. They even replaced my old milsurp Mosin-Nagant with a WASR AK.

I chose not to replace one of the guns to cover the deductible, and I had some money left over so they sent me a check for the difference.

I told them one of the guns stolen was my EDC, and they made sure I had a replacement within about 10 days. The entire process was really smooth and easy and they even covered the transfer fees to a local FFL.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    State Farm will insure up to a certain dollar amount, like $2500 or $5000 (I don't remember exactly), just by putting it on your policy. If you want more than that then you need to give them an itemized list.

I have State Farm, and added more insurance for guns. I did NOT have to provide a list.
    But, I do keep proof at home. I have a list of guns and serial numbers. And I have pictures.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I have State Farm, and added more insurance for guns. I did NOT have to provide a list.
    But, I do keep proof at home. I have a list of guns and serial numbers. And I have pictures.

that's going back a few years. They may have changed their policy.

Speaking of going back a few years, I remember years ago on Ingo someone recommended Historic Firearms Insurance and that was used by a few people. Prices were reasonable, but no idea how good or bad they are. Here's a link: http://www.historicfirearms.com/

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have an inland marine policy thru State Farm and have never had to provide any additional information. I needed to do it this way because I travel quite a bit and frequently take a small "arsenal" with me. I keep an active list of what I have along with pictures on a thumb drive.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I have nothing but good things to say about Liberty Mutual homeowners.

They never asked for a catalogue of my firearms or any of my belongings up front.

I had 4 guns stolen in a break in. I provided them with photos and serial numbers after the fact (I had stored on a thumb drive). I also gave them a list of all the ammo, pistol boxes, safe, jewelry and electronics that were stolen or damaged.

Their policy is to replace items with the exact item or better, or cut you a check for the value (minus the deductible). The only thing they don't cover is cash, because there is no way to verify the amount.

They replaced all my ammo, including defensive ammo, two handguns, a pistol safe and a laptop. They even replaced my old milsurp Mosin-Nagant with a WASR AK.

I chose not to replace one of the guns to cover the deductible, and I had some money left over so they sent me a check for the difference.

I told them one of the guns stolen was my EDC, and they made sure I had a replacement within about 10 days. The entire process was really smooth and easy and they even covered the transfer fees to a local FFL.

I'm pretty sure we have touched on this before in various threads. Liberty Mutual (and Safeco) does not have a specified limit of liability for firearms under contents coverage on their HO3 forms. Makes it quite nice to have my firearms covered under my contents coverage for full replacement value. I don't know of any other companies that do not have a specified limit of liability for firearms. But I'm sure they are out there.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Go through an insurer that specializes in guns, knives, etc.

I use Collectibles Insurance, they have been great for me. I inquired with my homeowners insurance first (Safeco at the time I believe) and their quote was ridiculous. They also wanted a catalogue of my collection with pictures and serial numbers......yeah right.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    State Farm for us. Cars, home, life, personal liability umbrella, and guns. The guns are actually under a "personal articles" policy which can cover sporting goods, jewelry, etc. Our standard SF home owner's policy had limited coverage for guns. Initially we increased that coverage to the max the HO policy would cover then got the separate personal articles policy. They insure the guns for the values I place on them and occasionally add an inflation factor. I do provide them with an itemized list including description and serial numbers. Just like auto insurance, cost will probably be different for different locations. We pay around $11-12 annually per $1000 total value.

Regardless of who you choose to buy coverage from, check this. Some policies only cover a loss occurring in your home. Our SF policy covers any loss of any kind ANYWHERE. That was the deal-maker for me!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive heard several stories about the NRA insurance. Free insurance is apparently so restrictive on what it covers, good luck on getting them to pay out. And the higher coverage you can buy from them is MUUUUUUUCH more expensive than what you get for DRob's suggestion.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Go through an insurer that specializes in guns, knives, etc.

I use Collectibles Insurance, they have been great for me. I inquired with my homeowners insurance first (Safeco at the time I believe) and their quote was ridiculous. They also wanted a catalogue of my collection with pictures and serial numbers......yeah right.

I've heard good things about Collectibles Insurance as well.

Why did you get an additional quote from Safeco for your firearms? They have no special limits on firearms and would be covered under Coverage C.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    that's going back a few years. They may have changed their policy.

Speaking of going back a few years, I remember years ago on Ingo someone recommended Historic Firearms Insurance and that was used by a few people. Prices were reasonable, but no idea how good or bad they are. Here's a link: http://www.historicfirearms.com/

This is who I use. A primary stand alone policy is the way to go.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

I hold an Adjuster's License and most homeowner's policies will cover up to $2,500.00 (standard amount) for guns...and that's it. If you have guns that are valued higher than that, or have a number of guns that add up to a value higher than the amount listed, you'll need to
    a) contact your insurance company and request additional coverage (specifically for the guns) or
    b) obtain additional insurance coverage from an outside source.

Also, one additional consideration, if you do wish to have and and pay for additional coverage, consider the quality of your safe...or if you even have a safe? I've heard of guys with $5,000.00 worth of guns and ammo in their house and not even have a safe to put them in...difficult to argue one's point when the effort to protect against theft or fire isn't even attempted! If you can afford $5,000.00 worth of guns and ammo, you can (or should have) afforded a good quality safe (handle 30-45+ minutes worth of fire/heat + have at least 3+ 1" solid rods against theft. The cheap 'Stack-On' safes...might stop an opportunistic theft...but not a serious thief intent on getting to your firearms!

Just a few things to consider...

Top Bottom