Gun owners: do you have adequate life insurance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My insurance coverage is:

• Total voters

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We talk about protecting our families, but I'm curious if that carries over to life insurance as well.

We're probably more likely to die in a car accident or other means than need to use a gun for personal or family protection. Does everyone with dependents have 5-10 years of salary in life insurance?

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Not as much as I should, but it will pay off the house and cars and money left over to live on for a year or two if budgeted properly till she gets back to work.

I need to double it quite honestly.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    At one point in my career I had $400,000 worth of life ins. Then the company decided they didn't need me or the other 2000 employees and left the taxpayer sponsored facility that Indianapolis so graciously provided for them. (those of you that were there know who I mean)

Now I have what my wife's job provides- enough to bury me .

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    At one point in my career I had $400,000 worth of life ins. Then the company decided they didn't need me or the other 2000 employees and left the taxpayer sponsored facility that Indianapolis so graciously provided for them. (those of you that were there know who I mean)

Now I have what my wife's job provides- enough to bury me .

That is why you don't buy a policy through work. Lock in your term rates while young and then it stays with you. My employer provides coverage but I also bought personal in case my job changes

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    This is actually one of my major regrets. If I would have started a good life insurance policy when I was in my 20s (like dad tried to tell me) I could have easily maintained a more than adequate amount of insurance. Now that I'm older and ended up having some health issues, life insurance for the amount I'd really like would cost 100's per month. I've tried to make up for it as best I can with some savings and investments over the years but its still not what I would like for my family.

So you young guys out there, I know it can be difficult to think in those terms because you feel like you have all the time in the world, but take some advice from your elders and start now. Just because you may not have a family yet doesn't mean you can't start taking care of them now.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Good point!
    Wife's 32-year old nephew passed yesterday morning from massive heart attack.
    Left a wife and two small children.
    I doubt that life insurance was in their plans.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    That is why you don't buy a policy through work. Lock in your term rates while young and then it stays with you. My employer provides coverage but I also bought personal in case my job changes
    Excellent advice for the younger folks here! I have $250,000 on myself, and I do have a $25,000 policy through work, but that's only as long as they feel like offering it. I only wish I had all the beer money back from my younger days, hell, I could probably retire.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    25K from work, $600K personal policies.
    2 years ago I put the wife through nursing school now that the boys are getting older. She could be completely self sufficient just off her career now. I think she and the boys are covered.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If term insurance is all you can afford make sure you buy a policy that is convertible to permanent for life, and add a guaranteed rider that lets you increase the coverage at fixed dates in the future.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    My dad told me once that we're better covered than he is. We got a policy when we got the house 8 years ago. Pays off the house and student loans, gives me 10 years of the hubby's income, and gives him 5 of mine (because apparently men recover more quickly than women do...). I can't remember if we added in extra for child education... we didn't have kids at the time. Lars has the rider to accommodate any wage increases he has each year, but I'd have to have a physical each year due to a health condition, so we didn't add the rider to mine. Our project for this year is to get it updated to account for recent life changes.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If term insurance is all you can afford make sure you buy a policy that is convertible to permanent for life, and add a guaranteed rider that lets you increase the coverage at fixed dates in the future.
    Oh, this again?? :)

So a 35 year old male, non-smoker can get a million dollar term 30-year policy for $76/mo. At 65, retired, adult children living on their own, Why exactly would he still need whole life insurance at that point?

I cancelled my million dollar whole life policy a few years ago, bought twice that in 30-year term, and lowered my premium.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I don't really like the people that would be stuck with the bill, so I cashed out my policies and bought a gun and some ammo.

Seriously, I have enough to pay everything off, burn me and send the kids to college.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Oh, this again?? :)

So a 35 year old male, non-smoker can get a million dollar term 30-year policy for $76/mo. At 65, retired, adult children living on their own, Why exactly would he still need whole life insurance at that point?

I cancelled my million dollar whole life policy a few years ago, bought twice that in 30-year term, and lowered my premium.

Because, I had a young couple (pregnant) where the father had a small Universal Life policy and a larger term policy. Finds out he has MS. These are the last policies he will ever be able to qualify for. Because he has the guaranteed insurability rider, he can add 25k to his policy every 3yrs to age 49. If it makes sense he can also convert his term. (would have to look at the cost in the future vs his new lifespan)

Polices are tools, pick the right one for your situation.

Most importantly have enough death benefit when you die. Nobobdy ever asks me what kind of policy it was when I deliver a life insurance check. They want to know how much is it.

Top Bottom