• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    A lot of us are proud to live in Indiana where we can buy a gun and the 'only' people who know we have it is the gun store/seller where we bought it.

Well, I just found something quite interesting I thought I'd share with you. Recently, Ruger had a contest where they were giving away LCR-357s, range bags/kits, and lots of Ruger merchandise. One would only assume that everyone on the list already owns a gun or was looking to win their first gun since they all entered the contest hoping to win the grand prize of a LCR-357.

Well, the contest was actually managed by a company outside of Ruger, and, part of the rules was that anyone could send off for a list of the winners' names. So, I sent in my SASE and sure enough, this week I got the list mailed to me.

It tells me the first and last name of the winners, what city/state they live in and what they won. The list is 8 pages long.

So, if you prefer as much privacy as possible, I would suggest that you don't enter contests like these.

I'm going to burn the list, just so you know.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    isn't that required by law? Otherwise how do you know it is a legit contest.
    Yep, totally required by law. But, the fact that guns are involved, and many folks like to be private regarding what guns they own, this is an easy way for the government to find out gun owners' names.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    That sounds like a load of crap, I don't know if it is required by law or not but that seems crazy to me! Guess it is a two way street from the perps, avoid that house because they are armed or hit that house for it's firearms!

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Yep, totally required by law. But, the fact that guns are involved, and many folks like to be private regarding what guns they own, this is an easy way for the government to find out gun owners' names.
    Not only gov. but crooks to. I never join those contests. Never will.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Anyone remember what happened with the Bloomington Herald Times 12 years ago that had some mentioning it in this thread?

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Did they actually do it? Is it still up?

Not sure. But I found this. My google-fu is only ok, not great.

It appears in 09 the BHT got the info from filing a freedom of information act on the Indiana state police and they had to give it to them, this law changed that, if it was passed.

Also, holy necro-thread resurrection batman, I thought I was guilty recently…

ETA everyone wanting to “give” you something is suspect to the nth degree. Nothing is free. Data is King.

Edit 2 here’s another rabbit hole https://ballotpedia.org/Public_access_to_concealed_carry_lists

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    No one reads the agreement you enter into when you fill out those contest entry forms. The people entering gave their permission for their info to be used.

Many contests are just data collection schemes.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Heck a local gun club gave out everyones personal information to a police department in illinois a few years ago without a warrant, i didn't go over to well as they called every member and a lot of them multiple times!!!!!!

Top Bottom