• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    With newspapers printing permit holders addresses and government control threatening freedom, I wouldn't be surprised if people were afraid to answer those survey questions honestly.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I heard about this last night on the radio, yet the FBI is saying there was a record number of people getting called in for background checks. Makes me think the sample size is too small to make a definite conclusion as well as with the margin of error.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Does this data take into account the increase in the number of households? The percentage of households with guns may have declined, but isn't it possible that the number of gun owners has increased or remained constant?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This may be a local thing, but after Clinton left office it seemed like more and more little gun shops opened their doors and most are still open for business. With the number of states that now allow the carrying of weapons with licenses/ permits, the sales of handguns are up. More and more manufacturers are coming on the scene with handguns and new models. If ownership is declining, how can they justify such business decisions? Something doesn't look right. There is also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iRgqnMsRFk

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Fuggedaboutit! Polls can be, and usually are, designed to predetermine the results. For example, do you think any poll conducted on INGO is not going to show a pro-2A result? Craft the questions correctly and pick your sample, the desired results are guaranteed!

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Keep in mind this article is on an AOL site and the survey comes out of Washington. Most media outlets are left wing minded and we all know of the liberal mindset in Washington. I say that just to say that surveys can be skewed to say just about anything you want them to say. To offset that, I have also read a survey that background checks have gone up significantly which means there are people trying to buy firearms. Again, a survey.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Those stats don't seem to match up with the following facts: record gun sales, increasing number of people taking firearms training, and women being the fastest growing segment of firearms owners. I think it is much more likely that firearms owners aren't willing to tell strangers that they own firearms, particularly with the current regulatory threats around the nation. I'd be among that latter group.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    How many INGOers actually answer and participate in phone polls?

I know I don't.

EDIT TO ADD: Google sez there are roughly 121.1 million households in the USA. 32% of that is 38.75 million households owning firearms...Census Bureau has average household size of 2.63 occupants meaning nearly 102 million people have firearms in their home.

Lies, damn lies, statistics, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Funny how as the article I read said both that households with at least one gun in them are falling and that the support for gun control legislation is as low as it's been since 1987. Add that to facts some other posters mentioned above about sales, ammo shortages, women taking them up, etc...I'm more than a little skeptical about the findings of this poll.

American Gun Ownership Falls To Record Low: Survey

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Funny how as the article I read said both that households with at least one gun in them are falling and that the support for gun control legislation is as low as it's been since 1987. Add that to facts some other posters mentioned above about sales, ammo shortages, women taking them up, etc...I'm more than a little skeptical about the findings of this poll.

American Gun Ownership Falls To Record Low: Survey

Maybe there's been an increase in boating accidents since 1987 too. :scratch:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    With the shortages of ammo and the sales of guns very high, it is hard to believe that gun ownership is declining. Major survey shows gun ownership declining - AOL.com

Could be that with all the anti-gun rhetoric and attempts to squelch the second amendment by those sworn to uphold it, and so many other negative consequences for legal gun ownership, perhaps gun owners are just getting wise about how they fill out surveys on gun ownership. Gun owner? Me? What's a gun?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Could be that with all the anti-gun rhetoric and attempts to squelch the second amendment by those sworn to uphold it, and so many other negative consequences for legal gun ownership, perhaps gun owners are just getting wise about how they fill out surveys on gun ownership. Gun owner? Me? What's a gun?

They're probably too busy searching for 22LR and hoarding M855's to take the time to fill them out. :lmfao:

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    no way, gun ownership is up, and has been going up for a while, its possible less people are buying as many guns right now since the past couple years they have spent all their money buying guns. AR's are "cheap" now. Less are being moved but that doesnt mean that less people have them.

Top Bottom