• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Wacky times in the buy/sell gun hobby. Maybe other non firearm hobbies are the same, but I can't think of anything similar at the moment.

One that comes to mind is the bicycle industry. There are several places where you can order a bike online, and it will show up at your door in a box, assembly required. The money you saved on the bike will be paid by you in the form of labor to assemble said bicycle (assuming you can do it correctly). Or, you are going to need to pay someone at the local bike shop to do it correctly, or fix your mistakes.

Just like the LGS, when you walk through the door, the price you pay is for the product, and the service that you get with it. That includes keeping the lights on and the door open.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Very well put. I think the (high) prices for used pieces on here are people not realy motivated to sell, but just fishing for that "sucker born every minute". Its still offensive, and one cannot help but take it personel after wasting time clicking on the ad.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    So my gen 2 glock with 2,000(20,000) rnds through it is'nt worth $500.00?
    Damn it
    +1 for HONDO

If you're going to put it up for sale on here, $500 is way too low. I've seen more than a handful wanting fairly high gun show prices...unless they found an example made of gold, I don't get it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Regarding the classifieds, it cuts both ways. I recently advertised (and sold) a Marlin 1894S for what I considered a decent price after researching prices on Gunbroker, etc.. I think the buyer and I both walked away from the deal happy. However I received one offer ($200!) that I considered rather insulting. I understand the wheeling and dealing aspect, but c'mon. I was polite in my reply to the low-ball offer, but I had to bite my tongue to remain so.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I usually have a specific want/need when looking for a gun. I do my research at the shops and online both. I have a good idea what a gun's value actually is.
    I do have to take in account all factors and use what I've learned or know about what I'm in the market for.
    Paperwork? I don't mind at all. I'm a Law Abiding Citizen and play by the rules and I think there's advantages and disadvantages to filling out the paperwork. I'm sure most of us know some people that shouldn't be allowed to own guns or play with scissors.
    Overpriced guns? Way too many.
    I guess that the paperwork does have an impact on prices. Location is an important factor too. Gas prices also have to be considered when doing a FTF etc.
    You want to sell a gun? Get what you want out of it. IF it's overpriced you've lost me as a buyer whether you're a shop or individual.
    Lately I'm looking for a specific gun and doing some online research and driving to the shops too.
    I'm noticing the local Indy shops have a varying price difference of up to $150 on the same gun.
    I don't want to order online IF I don't have to. Not that it doesn't have it's advantages but has drawbacks too.
    I bought a gun online that when received was what I considered to be a "blem or second" imho.
    I couldn't send it back for exchange. I had to send it back to the factory and had a 4 week turn around before I got it back. Not my idea of a happy purchase. I'd rather have "hands on" when I lay out my hard earned money. Now I don't even want it because of the way it went down. Nothing wrong with the gun now but it's just bad "ju-ju " to me now. I guess I'm a freak or something.
    I'm not overpaying for a gun for any reason.
    I'm not your buyer IF you're trying to get retail + for a used gun.
    Actually, I'll think a lot less of you for trying to stick someone in the arse 'cause you think you can. I make notes on who I'd buy, sell, or trade with.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I have to partially disagree with the OP, IMHO New is new. If someone purchased it, never fired it or handled it, and decided to resale then that does not make it LNIB. It is still a new unfired gun. Now I do agree that "like a new car, driven off the lot" it has defiantly lost value. But it is in fact still a new gun. I consider a LNIB gun one that has been fired but very little. And again decreasing the value even more.

Now if someone in fact has a new gun that has been handled quiet a bit, and changed hands several times, dry fired, slide functioned, ext.... Then again IMHO that would be a LNIB gun.

Not trying to change anyone opinion here, just curious if anyone else looks at it like I do?

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    I have been waiting on a thread like this ...cant understand why people want retail out of their used weapon? Its used , and if it has been up for sale for more than 4-5 days , GUESS WHAT? Im sure your price is too high , what gets me also is at the same time you put a cash price on your item and those who want to trade want retail for theirs and yours is below wholesale lmao
    /

Ccook1065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I believe that in some cases, like if the gun is impossible to find new, then you have a "market" advantage. You have something that the market wants and are able to charge a slight premium. Some are willing to pay as opposed to wait for their shop to get more in...

I don't want to pay extra for a firearm that is readily available at any store for the same price as you are trying to get for it used. Guns are like any other used commodity. If they are a good quality and well taken care of, then they don't depreciate a tremendous amount. I would argue that some place between 10 and 20% less than what you can purchase the weapon new probably a good value. It is also important to fully understand the cost of the additional items that typically go along with the used weapon. Such as: holsters, ammo, mags, etc.

Taking all that extra stuff into consideration..... Anything is ONLY worth what someone is willing to give you for it. If someone provides a "low ball" offer they should provide you with how they justified that number. In the same token, the seller should also take the time to justify how they arrived at their asking price.

harmonn@att.net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Like a good friend back home puts it, "It's like this"...

I agree somewhat, but there are so many variables that make you kind of a whiner (and I don't mean that in a schitty way either). You are reading a reply right this moment from one of the tightest a$$'s in Indiana. I would love to have a gun safe filled with guns right now. I don't because I can't get myself to spend the money. With that said, I expect a power buy every time. That is probably why I don't own very many, lol. You hit it right on the dealers end, but if you go to gun show expecting someone to sell you a gun $40 dollars or more under what the gun is worth, where would gun prices be? Everyone expects their guns to hold value, right? You don't want to buy an AR for $800 dollars, then be out $300 three years later when you sold the gun for five. We the people make our guns worth what they are....Consumers. And yes, there are a lot of sellers out there that try and sell guns for retail price at a gun show. Guess, what? I won't be buying them. They are looking for the uneducated; trying to make the quick buck. I purchased my first S&W MP two weeks ago. I only found five at the show and four were overpriced when comparing to new retail. I saved $100 dollars that day because I dealt with a non dealer, so I did not pay any taxes on my purchase. I took the amount of money intended to spend that day because I was going to buy, not look. I would of screwed the pooch if I did not want to take cash. I do not like paying taxes on something that has already had taxes paid on it. I realize that the gun dealer's are only passing it down. So when it comes to buying independent, I won't be paying tax on my purchase.

That's my two cents on the subject. Take that and 73 more and buy you a coke!

Best Regards,:twocents:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    What I don't get is that some person(s) on here gave the Desert Eagle in the classifieds ONE Star. Just from quick research, that gun is easily worth $1300 including you don't have to pay tax on it. It just amazes me the stupidity that is sometimes encountered on here. Stepping off the soapbox now.:soapbox:

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree pretty good post. One thing I would like to interject. I personally prefer to trade more than to buy and sell. My rant about that is how some guys look at that and value their stuff.

I personally like to try and maintain the mindset that INGO was founded on. I understand that there is a huge difference between now with 17000+ members and some years ago when hitting 1000 or 2000 members was a big deal. I do remember those days way back when and the idea was that INGO was a community of friends with like minded interests. I can remember the analogy being made that we should think of INGO like some folks getting together at Fenways house and all sitting around in the garage or around the fire and sharing talking about our common interests.

Back then the classifieds were just a bonus that went along with that, making it easy to trade among friends. Now more and more you see people wanting only to get involved for the classifieds. I disagree with the ability to gain instant access by becoming a site supporter. That seems like a ploy to generate revenue not a means of preserving the founding idea of INGO. There were times in the past where certain individuals tried to make the classifieds their own kinda black market side job if you will, but they were obvious and we always sniffed them out. The forum kinda policed itself.

While I can not argue that INGO has gotten big, even to the point of becoming national instead of just local. I still count myself among those original core members and I still think of INGO as a community of friends and acquaintances that share like minded interests. In that spirit when I list things for trade. I am not necessarily looking to trade up or make a profit. My goal is to meet a new friend and make a mutual trade that is good for both parties, sometimes it goes one way or another as to who gets the better deal but I see that as good faith toward future trades where next time maybe if the last trade between me and my new friend went his way maybe it will go a little my way next time, not out of greed but out of friendship.

Simply put if I am trading something that my INGO brother needs or wants and to me its no longer of use if my neighbor has something I need close to the equivalent its all good, it will work out in the long run if all adhere to this idea, the trading ,the classifieds would be as originally intended. Just my thoughts as a long time INGO member. :twocents: ;)
    Great post. I wish that most people felt that way about trading.

Top Bottom