• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    My gf is going to hopefully start carrying pretty soon(S&W 442 for Christmas) and she has been looking for a gun purse but is not happy with any she has seen so far. She is looking for something a little more modern and is not a big fan of leather. I was wondering if anyone had any sites to recommend.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you cant find anything online, check out the next Indy 1500.. there are a couple vendors that carry them..

However, you will find many people warn against purse carry. A couple reasons are that if your girl sits her purse down somewhere, she is disarmed, if she gets her purse grabbed, she is disarmed and the perp got the purse AND a gun.

Others will say that she just has to increase her awareness and take steps to make sure the above doesnt happen..

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My wife is in the same boat, all of the purses (GUN TOTE'N MAMAS - Concealed Carry Handbags by Gun Tote'n Mamas) look like they're "for old ladies". We both looked and looked but didn't find much at all. She doesn't carry still because of this, and we havent found any good, comfortable holsters for her yet either...

I've carried for 10+ years and I haven't found a purse designed for gun carry that I like, with one exception. Coronado leather had a beautiful tote-style purse (though I don't think they offer it any more). The problem--and this is universal among every gun purse I've ever pawed--the gun compartment was too small. It carries the firearm well enough, but doesn't leave enough room for a fist gripping a gun to be withdrawn from it. The sole benefit for a purse designed to carry a gun, IMO, is that it is stitched to support the added weight.

I haven't carried a purse designed for carry in 4 years. I have found that the variety available by going outside the "designed for carry" paradigm actually yields far better results for concealing, containing, and accessing the firearm. With the caveat that I have to pay more than Walmart prices for something constructed a little better. Of course, a lot depends on what is being carried. A snubbie revolver is easier to pack than a Glock or something similar.

Handbags This is Coronado's handbag page. The Bison Tote is the closest to the style I carried. IMO, Coronado has the best selection for style. I like simple and classic. They usually fit that bill. And you might look into the Crossbreed Supertuck holsters. I wear a Serpa but I don't worry about concealing. MrsG loves her Supertuck and it gets raves reviews from the others that have used it. I don't know what models it accommodates, but it's worth a shot.

And Roadie, I tried to rep you for not approaching the additional risk of purse carry with the normal air of superiority displayed. Sadly, I have to wait.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I thought about carrying these but they are very slow movers. They can be quite expensive and I would have to carry many different styles and colors. I have one that I do not like at all. I have it because it would not sell.:( It does not have the holster built in. There are some nice ones out there but I have found that I can just use any one of my purses and use my own holster and you cannot tell I have a gun in my purse at all.
    BTW yes I can get my gun out just as fast as if it had a built in holster.:twocents:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    If you cant find anything online, check out the next Indy 1500.. there are a couple vendors that carry them..

However, you will find many people warn against purse carry. A couple reasons are that if your girl sits her purse down somewhere, she is disarmed, if she gets her purse grabbed, she is disarmed and the perp got the purse AND a gun.

Others will say that she just has to increase her awareness and take steps to make sure the above doesnt happen..
    Thank you! There really are two valid sides to this debate. :yesway:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife and a friend have mulled over the idea of modifying a couple of her favorite Vera Bradley purses with a conceal compartment and holster. I don't know how serious the discussions got,though,...... since she really likes the Galco leather carry purse I got her. (or at least she tells me she likes it........ :): ) She doesn't carry all the time, but I'm working on that.
    With as much stuff as she likes to carry with her, I think her purse itself could easily fall into the weapon category. I'm glad she has chosen not to swing that sucker at me! Of course, I do toe the line don'tcha know?
    Seriously though, look at the Galco line up....just Google them.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I do purse carry. Sometimes it is just the best option when the alternative is that or not at all. Right now I am using a purse with a center zippered compartment with a pocket holster inside.

I agree on the point that there are alot of big, ugly gun purses out there. I don't love purses to begin with so what I want is something just big enough to conceal my gun and make access to it quick and smooth. For purse carry I look for something with a long enough strap to carry cross body.

Check out ebay. Even if you don't shop there, they have a good selection from various vendors. Also, check out advertisers listed at the bottom of the page.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Galco hidden agenda in her current purse? not the fastest method with respect to putting the gun in here hand but its an option. Also has she considered the drawbacks to purse carry? they are numerous and a 442 ( which just sounds painful to me) should be easy enough for a midget to carry on his or her person easily.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I saw something at the last 1500 that I am thinking about taking my wife to the next one to see. The vendor that always has tons inexpensive nylon holsters and gun cases, had a stiff fabric insert that could be put in any purse, and it was made so that one of the inexpensive nylon holsters would attach to it with velcro. They offered at least 2 sizes, and the lady said it you could turn almost any regular purse into a cary purse.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Thank you everyone for your input. My gf has had a discussion with her aunt who carries and hopefully she has come closer to deciding that she needs to carry it on her. The purses that are out there are just too expensive for the occasional carry situations it would be used for. This has been a good place for discussions though so please keep the input coming.

Top Bottom