• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have an old gun rack sitting in my closet taking up space. I used to have it hanging on a wall with a couple of old rifles on it for display, but then my paranoia got the better of me, so the rifles went back into the safe, and the rack went to the closet. Now I'm thinking that I'd kind of like to put it back up. If I do, I would only put relatively "low-value" rifles on it, like maybe a Mosin or two. By "low-value", I mean both from a monetary standpoint, and also guns that are a little less likely to be highly sought after by criminals (ie. I wouldn't put my AK, HD shotgun, Garand or even a .22 on display). What are your thoughts INGO? Still too risky, or is it okay? I like to keep my guns secure of course, but having a couple out to look at would be nice too. It's a pity that we even have to take the possibility of being burglarized into consideration, but it is what it is. :dunno: I live in a relatively low-crime area (if there is such a thing anymore), but would I be taking too much of an unnecessary risk by displaying a couple of old rifles?

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I did the same thing years ago, but I thought ,that anyone that came in my house could see them. They may not ever do anything , but they might tell someone who would. Back in the safe they went. It may depend on which room you have it in. Mine was the living room.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I did the same thing years ago, but I thought ,that anyone that came in my house could see them. They may not ever do anything , but they might tell someone who would. Back in the safe they went. It may depend on which room you have it in. Mine was the living room.
    That was one of my considerations too. Mine would be out in our family room (which is primarily used by me), and not easily visible from any windows.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I don't think I would hang a modern firearm, no matter how low value. Now if I had a primitive firearm, I would hang that. That late 1700s flintlock could look great on a wall.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I would be very skeptical. You just might forget if a repair guy or someone comes. Not too long ago I used to drive by a gentleman that had a rack full of Winchesters on display. Stop sign right out front, lights on, drapes open. Anyone driving by in the evening would see them.
    OK Ingo....... Ready for the peeping Tom jokes.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think it depends on your comfort level. In my office at the house I display several firearms in glass cases. But I close the door when unfamiliar people come to the house and you cannot see them from the window. None of my heirloom guns are on display but winchesters and colts are. I like to look at them when I am working at my desk. I also think that the retail security containers most of us call safes gives a false sense of security for our firearms. And I am guessing like me, you probably have all the tools any crook needs to get into one in your garage so it only helps in smash and grab situations. That is why I carry extra insurance on my firearms. I would display them. If you know unfamiliar people are coming over take them down and put up some air rifles. Then again I live on 10 acres in the middle of no where.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would be very skeptical. You just might forget if a repair guy or someone comes. Not too long ago I used to drive by a gentleman that had a rack full of Winchesters on display. Stop sign right out front, lights on, drapes open. Anyone driving by in the evening would see them.
    OK Ingo....... Ready for the peeping Tom jokes.
    Well, like I said, these wouldn't be visible from the outside, but good point about the repairman, although in our family room there really isn't much of anything that would require a repairman to go out there. Our furnace is in our laundry room in another part of the house, so that's the prime area for maintenance.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think it depends on your comfort level. In my office at the house I display several firearms in glass cases. But I close the door when unfamiliar people come to the house and you cannot see them from the window. None of my heirloom guns are on display but winchesters and colts are. I like to look at them when I am working at my desk. I also think that the retail security containers most of us call safes gives a false sense of security for our firearms. And I am guessing like me, you probably have all the tools any crook needs to get into one in your garage so it only helps in smash and grab situations. That is why I carry extra insurance on my firearms. I would display them. If you know unfamiliar people are coming over take them down and put up some air rifles. Then again I live on 10 acres in the middle of no where.

I could certainly do this... It's a small rack that just hangs on the wall, so it wouldn't be a big deal to take it down if warranted.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've got five firearms in a lit glass display case, but they're in a room out of sight of passerbys and the door is closed to company. I don't worry too much about it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got five firearms in a lit glass display case, but they're in a room out of sight of passerbys and the door is closed to company. I don't worry too much about it.

Well, if I had my druthers, I'd love to have all my guns displayed, but unfortunately that's not an option for me. :( I do think I'm going to go ahead and hang a couple though... :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would love to hang a few of mine on the wall. But if someone did break in, it would just be too easy for them to grab them and run out the door before the cops could ever respond to the alarm. I've been to a couple of our community watch meetings with our local PD in attendance. I have heard more than I ever wanted to about all the bad stuff that goes on around here. As much as I would like to, I wouldn't do it in my house.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    An old rifle/shotgun with the bolt or firing pin locked in your safe cannot possibly be used if they were to be stolen. I had an old disabled rifle on the wall for years.

gundog60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    South of Indy
    I have two in a small rack on the bedroom wall. A .58 caliber Zouave rifle and an old bolt action J.C. Higgins .22. Not visible from the street when the curtains are open and not visible from the hallway that runs between the bedrooms. The only "security" on them are trigger locks and the fact the bedroom occupant is within easy reach of the S&W Model 10 on the nightstand. The common criminal would probably not even look at the muzzle loading rifle and would be royally pissed when they found the bolt and magazine removed from the .22!

Last edited:

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I have all 12 of my long guns displayed in an oak cabinet that my wife bought me 30 years ago and at one time or another its been in every room of our home (disclaimer: excluding bathrooms and kitchen). But I never had it in plain view from the outside looking in, folks seeing it from the inside of my home never really concerned me. We just put it where we thought it looked the nicest.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    A friend of mine has a gun cabinet that holds his prized guns on display. It sits in his home office. Most people that get into his office are people he works for or people that work for him. The cabinet is made out of wood. It is bolted to the wall. The bottom of the cabinet holds ammo. The doors lock through a peace of angle iron that is hidden by a peace of wood at the top and bottom of the doors. The doors of the cabinet that holds the rifles and shot guns on display is locked the same way. There is a chain covered in plastic that goes through the trigger guards that locks back to a eye bolt that is fastened to the wall through the cabinet. In the drawers there is his handguns. Each drawer locks. Then the hole thing has its own alarm system. Oh, the glass, isn't glass, it is some type of plastic that is hard to break. Nothing is theft proof, but I wouldn't want to be the guy that he found breaking into that house let a lone that cabinet.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have a vertical gin rack mounted on the wall at my place. Think like the old westerns in the sheriff's office. Just make sure that it can't be seen by just anybody.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Well, if I had my druthers, I'd love to have all my guns displayed, but unfortunately that's not an option for me. :( I do think I'm going to go ahead and hang a couple though... :)

I would love to display some of mine. I just don't have a good place in the house to do so. My neighborhood is low risk, but still I hate to contemplate seeing any of mine going out into the wild thanks to a thief.

Top Bottom