• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Any discussion threads on starting a gun range business? Trying to do a search but the search function kicks off when I try to type something in. Or it takes me to my web search box at the top when I click search. This happens a lot actually. Wonder if its a cell phone issue?
    Anyway, ive been reading up some and it seems like a huge initial financial investment plus state and federal guidelines out the wazoo. Dont have much in my area but thinking it would go over well if done correctly. Just curious as my dr. got to talking about it the other day saying we needed a good range locally where obviously like minded people could hang out.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't have any info to contribute about ranges but I can offer some advice about using a cell phone on this site. When you click search, hold it until the dialog box pops up an Sepe t open in another window: you can type your stuff there without it jumping about as you described. Also works when entering rep comments.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I looked into it pretty extensively... you are looking at approx. 1 - 2 Million off the bat for a range & and gun store setup, ditch the gun store and you are still at around $750 - 1.5 million. depending on where you are and how "friendly" you local government is to the idea will make or break it for you. Here in Bloomington, you have to have a unanimous approval of the zoning board, which will pretty much guarantee that you will never be approved... unless you add in another million or two to "donate" to various "charities" in Bloomington.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Yeah thats a lot of money. So how are all these tactical training companies getting around these fees? Is an outside range completely different? Can you set up a range say on your farm and have a professional put on a class without jumping through all the hoops?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah thats a lot of money. So how are all these tactical training companies getting around these fees? Is an outside range completely different? Can you set up a range say on your farm and have a professional put on a class without jumping through all the hoops?

Make sure that you're not crossing your mental wires.

There's an absolute HUGE difference between running a range as a business and having one's own personal range.

But yes, a personal range CAN host training classses. Many have, many do.

-J-

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A lot depends on what type of range you're going to do. Indoor ranges cost an unbelievable amount more than an outdoor range.

Bullet traps, target retrieval systems, adequate ventilation systems are all very expensive items which outdoor ranges don't really have to have depending on the land.

The NRA puts out a LOT of information on setting up a range. They will even help you plan, design, find experienced contractors to do specific work, etc. Basically, if you ask them, they can help you or point you in the right direction.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If a range were built somewhere between Highland, Lowell, St. John, Winfield, I would think it would show a positive cash flow pretty quick.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you decide to open one, do your research. Then do some more.

By far the majority of small business start ups fail in the first few years from failing to do their research.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... adequate ventilation systems ... very expensive ...

Yup. Because you have to capture the airborne lead somehow.

You can shoot outside and put the same stuff directly into the air, BUT if you shoot it inside you CAN'T just blow it outside. Makes lots of sense eh?

Isn't living in an over-regulated age just wonderful?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I thought they failed by not making money? :dunno:

( :D )
    In a very narrow sense, YES. LOL

It doesn't help a business leader to stop there though. They should be asking, "Why didn't I make any money?"

Better yet, they should have asked "How/where can I make money at this?" before they ever even got started.

They fail because they don't do this.

That's not to say some don't get by, but unless your business is growing/thriving beyond your ability to cope with, there is always room to improve. Good businesses become big (to varying degrees in their markets) if they are good at what they do and knowledgeable in business.

WalMart for example, started small and grew relatively fast. Then, when they try to expand in other areas they failed extensively from not doing their research of the market.

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    Most small businesses fail because they (as stated above) do not do enough research. They also fail simply because most first time business owners have no REAL idea of the monthly expenses. I would bet this has more to do with failing of business's rather than lack of sales. Its just a subsection of research.

As far as the gun range goes i'm sure its only going to get harder and more expensive to get done.

Top Bottom