• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AnonymousOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Anyone interested in this range remaining open needs to sign up at the Clark State Forest office and leave a mailing address. There will most likely be a public meeting regarding the range in the next few months. If some resolutions to some problems are not addressed, the range will most likely be closed. Things to be discussed at this meeting would be the possiblilty of volunteers to help monitor/clean/upkeep the range, application of user fees/donations, possible upgrades and alternatives.
    I would like to state the facts about the range itself, as it now stands, as I see a lot of false information within the comments here.
    -The range is currently free-don't expect first class facilities, do expect some inconveniences such as the range being closed for certain reasons.
    -Starting in Sept., range hrs changed. It is now closed until noon on Mon. and Fri. If a holiday falls on Mon. or Fri., the noon opening time falls on Tues. or Thurs. This change was implemented to simplify things at the maintenance level. As I have seen stated here, the amount of household trash, i.e. propane tanks, recliners, tv's, computers, water heaters etc., has been increasing on the range. What should take a normal hour or two, sometimes turns into several trips to dispose of garbage. Therefore, noon gives maintenance plenty of time to get it done without having pressure from shooters to hurry up because they expect it to be open.
    -The range is closed on Sunday...not for law enforcement, but out of respect for a nearby church...the church is less than a mile away. The range can be heard for several miles, especially on busy days.
    -The range is also closed when law enforcement groups want to use it for qualifications or practice. This generally occurs a couple times a month...again, an inconvenience, but still free to this point.
    -The area is patrolled daily, but enforcement is next to impossible. The state relies on 'self-enforcement', or the threat of possibly being caught by law enforcement being non-compliant. This tactic works for a majority, but the few paint a bad picture for everyone.
    -Sign-in is mandatory and you can be fined for failing to do so. This gives the state usage numbers as well as information in the case of an accident. Again, it's free to this point...if the few miles it takes to sign in and out breaks you, try a private club.
    I am sure of these facts, and hopefully this will clear up some obvious common misconceptions. Overall, nothing with the range has changed much over the years. The biggest issue is the abuse of the area by what I am sure is a select few individuals. If you are interested in keeping the range open, contact Clark State Forest with your name and mailing address.

indianachris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I am guilty of not registering and never had a problem with it in all the time I've been there. I do agree that people do leave a lot of trash and generally fail to pick up after themselves. I've seen everything from recliners to propane tanks that are just left out there.

I like going there because it is free and it is the closest range to me that I know of (New Albany). My problem is the lack of safety there. It's fine if you bring kids out there but at least watch them. Several times I got on parents to watch their kids and also give them ear plugs. I like to make sure the range is clear before I go to set up targets or take them down but sadly not everyone agrees with that.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Why did you start another thread with exactly the same wording? The thread you started a day or teo ago has some good comments, just post in it maybe. I agree there are numerous problems there, mainly with the idiots dragging trash out there, but it still seems to me a park rangers salary could be quickly recovered by strictly enforcing the rules in place. Kinda seems silly that people are wringing their hands as to what to do. I know many LEOs who work on the side as security, couldn't be that hard to find someone to enforce the rules. I'll guarantee you the park could raise several thousand dollars a day in fines with very minimal effort.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Why did you start another thread with exactly the same wording? The thread you started a day or teo ago has some good comments, just post in it maybe. I agree there are numerous problems there, mainly with the idiots dragging trash out there, but it still seems to me a park rangers salary could be quickly recovered by strictly enforcing the rules in place. Kinda seems silly that people are wringing their hands as to what to do. I know many LEOs who work on the side as security, couldn't be that hard to find someone to enforce the rules. I'll guarantee you the park could raise several thousand dollars a day in fines with very minimal effort.

I agree, It wouldnt take much

TSL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I'll make sure to go sign up. It's only 10-15 mins from my house so I'd hate to see it closed. I would like to see the rules enforced though.

Top Bottom