• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'll try to keep this short but long enough to allow me to vent a bit.
    This afternoon my daughter (Age 29) and I went to the gun range that I am a member of. Normally have a great time there. It was a beautiful day today with light winds. I wanted to zero in a scope on my new S&W MP 15-22. My daughter recently bought a .38 revolver for her EDC and she goes with me to practice using it. I also had my Kimber Ultra Carry there for a little workout.

This club has an outdoor range with no on.e watching over it. Members unlock and lock the gate. We were set up in one of the 4 bays that can be used for pistols and 22 rifles.

Now, just to be clear, I take gun safety very seriously. Both of my kids grew up around guns and my rules of gun safety.

So, here's what happened next:

A couple of men came over from the next bay and asked if they could shoot at the plates. We both answered sure. Then while I was shooting my 15-22 a group of 8 or 9 appeared behind me. I don't know the exact number. When I turned around I even bumped into one of them. This group was just hovering around our table full of gear and had even put some of their bags on top of my gear. I looked at my daughter who was already one step ahead of me, moving our gear away from them. The group was so annoying and loud and obnoxious that I knew that we were done there. It was a very rude action toward us and they were creating a very unsafe environment. They were handing guns around to each other and shooting so much that I finally started waving my arms and shouted to ask them to stop and let me get my targets downrange. Which they did.

We were trying to keep our eyes on our guns that were laid out on the table in a safe way. I never allow any gun barrel to aim any way but downrange.

I know I've taken too long to explain this. I'm fairly new here, maybe people will think I'm in the wrong, I don't know. I do know that I run a tight experience when at a gun range. I do not trust people I do not know even when they display decent safety but these people were way over the top in my opinion.

My daughter and I quickly packed our gear trying to be sure we got everything. and got in our car.

To finish this vent... The bay we were in had two other large tables that were empty and when we drove out we saw two other pistol ranges that were completely empty. What were they thinking?I would have never moved on op of someone at a gun range like this. I was too upset to set everything back up in one of the empty bays so we went home.

So, I think I'm done, tried to keep it short so I didn't cover every detail. As I said, I needed to vent. I didn't think approaching these people would have helped. I don't know them and angry attitudes at a gun range is a bad idea. I just don't get how some people think. I am 50 years old, Don't feel that old but maybe my systems of courtesy and safety are too old time now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd have reacted very much the same, and I have very similar expectations to yours when it comes to range behavior, etiquette, and safety practices.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I would have done the same as you and your daughter did. Leave and be safe. Who knows what could have happened. It seems the stupid ruin it those that are safe. Sorry your day was cut short.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a reminder that being aware of your surroundings is always important, even when you're at the range. This time they were just a bunch of rude jacka**es. Next time a group who approaches may have more hostile intent.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    You say you are a member of this range. Make sure you bring it up at the next meeting of whoever runs the place (membership or board or whatever) or, if you can't be there make sure to send a letter.
    Courtesy and safety should never be optional, especially at a private facility.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I agree that the situation the OP describes sucks, but I would say that common courtesy is far from dead...at the shooting range anyway. It's unfortunate that there are a few bad apples out there.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You have every right to vent over what happened. You did very well, especially being there with your daughter.

I might have asked if they could move their gear off mine and not stand so close behind me, if I was there by myself. I'm not at all confrontational, it's against my nature, but as I get older (57) I get less tolerant of such behaviour-I'll never "start something" over it, but I feel better when I at least point out the rude behavior in a polite manner, rather than let it pass.

Some of the best advice other people have given me over the years has been "Hey, buddy, you're being an a-hole, stop it!" People can change, with proper instruction. I know.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My opinion is that if there were empty bays they could of gone to...then why didn't they...? 1. They had numbers an closed in for the primary reason of stealing something from you. 2. They were imature jerks that wanted to hang around you because of your daughter being there... I would report this to who ever owns the range....other than that you did the right thing by leaving.

hoosierken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Normally I never have a problem with other shooters. But this was weird. Rhino also hits the nail on the head. Gotta always keep the eyes on everyone everywhere. My internal alarms were really going off when this was going on. Too much chaos with loaded guns around. I was quick to load my Kimber Ultra and have it on me when I walked downrange, just in case. I didn't like some of the murmuring talk I was hearing behind my back. Might have been nothing but didn't feel good about it.

I'm going to talk to one of the board members today and see what he thinks about it. My guess is these guys were not members but guests of someone. Never had a problem with another member.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The guys were there to do more than just have some shooting practice. Whether they were interested in your daughter, or your guns, or both. If it was me, I'd write a letter to the gun club asking for a refund of my dues and telling them why, in detail, you don't think you can belong to a club that allows this kind of operation. I would have packed up and left, just like you did. I might have gotten a few pictures on my cell phone as well.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You need to find out who they are, and if they were authorized to be there. If they weren't authorized, perhaps trespassing charges can be filed. I'd get with the club leadership and map out plans to see that goofs like this are not allowed there.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't know the layout of the firing line at your range, so I'm puzzled, too. I've picked up my stuff an moved further away when somebody has gotten too cozzy.

It's like when I'm at a gas station at the far pump and no one else is there - until a wannabee pulls up next to my pump blaring his gangsta rap.

Or at a shopping center when I purposely park far enough away that I do not have to worry about door dings, until I come out to see a db that had to park up next to me(?!).

I swear, I think some people want an incident so they can try to sue you for boppin' them one.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Point blank, these club members (or guests) were not safe in their actions. There was so much "gun handling" going on by these shooters that you or your daughter were bound to have been swept more than once, and probably with a loaded pistol.

If shooters can't follow the four basic gun rules, and also abide by the private club rules, they need to be ran out of your club.

A private club is only as good as its members, and one foolish action by one member will have the entire club shut down for all members.

Private club members are responsible for policing other members, and I would bring these actions up at the next board meeting and send off a few emails to board members about the events that transpired.

Food for thought, it would have been very helpful to politely inquire which of them were a member and get his/her name.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll try to keep this short but long enough to allow me to vent a bit.
    This afternoon my daughter (Age 29) and I went to the gun range that I am a member of. Normally have a great time there. It was a beautiful day today with light winds. I wanted to zero in a scope on my new S&W MP 15-22. My daughter recently bought a .38 revolver for her EDC and she goes with me to practice using it. I also had my Kimber Ultra Carry there for a little workout.

This club has an outdoor range with no on.e watching over it. Members unlock and lock the gate. We were set up in one of the 4 bays that can be used for pistols and 22 rifles.

Now, just to be clear, I take gun safety very seriously. Both of my kids grew up around guns and my rules of gun safety.

So, here's what happened next:

A couple of men came over from the next bay and asked if they could shoot at the plates. We both answered sure. Then while I was shooting my 15-22 a group of 8 or 9 appeared behind me. I don't know the exact number. When I turned around I even bumped into one of them. This group was just hovering around our table full of gear and had even put some of their bags on top of my gear. I looked at my daughter who was already one step ahead of me, moving our gear away from them. The group was so annoying and loud and obnoxious that I knew that we were done there. It was a very rude action toward us and they were creating a very unsafe environment. They were handing guns around to each other and shooting so much that I finally started waving my arms and shouted to ask them to stop and let me get my targets downrange. Which they did.

We were trying to keep our eyes on our guns that were laid out on the table in a safe way. I never allow any gun barrel to aim any way but downrange.

I know I've taken too long to explain this. I'm fairly new here, maybe people will think I'm in the wrong, I don't know. I do know that I run a tight experience when at a gun range. I do not trust people I do not know even when they display decent safety but these people were way over the top in my opinion.

My daughter and I quickly packed our gear trying to be sure we got everything. and got in our car.

To finish this vent... The bay we were in had two other large tables that were empty and when we drove out we saw two other pistol ranges that were completely empty. What were they thinking?I would have never moved on op of someone at a gun range like this. I was too upset to set everything back up in one of the empty bays so we went home.

So, I think I'm done, tried to keep it short so I didn't cover every detail. As I said, I needed to vent. I didn't think approaching these people would have helped. I don't know them and angry attitudes at a gun range is a bad idea. I just don't get how some people think. I am 50 years old, Don't feel that old but maybe my systems of courtesy and safety are too old time now.

Hoosier Hills gun club outdoor range in Knawbone? I have been thinking of joining.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Yeah, that is ridiculous. I almost always go to public ranges and a majority of the time people are pretty nice. Although I did have a guy at Wilbur Wright asking me all kinds of questions while I was shooting, and then he lost his shotgun due to recoil. Needless to say, I picked up and left as well.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    The guys were there to do more than just have some shooting practice. Whether they were interested in your daughter, or your guns, or both. If it was me, I'd write a letter to the gun club asking for a refund of my dues and telling them why, in detail, you don't think you can belong to a club that allows this kind of operation. I would have packed up and left, just like you did. I might have gotten a few pictures on my cell phone as well.

THIS, people leaving will have more of an impact than just reporting it.

Ken, + rep for post 1, safety is always first with firearms

Stuff like this is why I am building my own backstop...:):

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am a member of the same club and while this is not a common problem, it happens I guess. Sounds like you handled things very calmly. I usually avoid the bays with the plates unless I plan on shooting them. Not saying it is your fault, just sayin'.

Definitely contact a board member. Also, in the future ask to see their club membership card. I have been a member there for 15-20 years, served on the board but will gladly show ID if asked. And if all else fails, get a license plate number and report it to the board.

Top Bottom