• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I'll take it one step further. You are out a handful of cash. These small businesses are out TONS more cash on the back end. Its easier for you to overlook a $20 charge than it is for a small business owner to overlook all those $20s when their payroll depends on it.

So show some grace, accept that we are all in this together, and be willing to take one for the team. If we each "suck it up" on the small scale, our small businesses like this can carry on.

We are doing this with everything we can. Many small businesses that we use for various things -- if we can afford to, we are not worrying about our small monthly fee. Especially if doing so allows the business to keep their employees supported.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll take it one step further. You are out a handful of cash. These small businesses are out TONS more cash on the back end. Its easier for you to overlook a $20 charge than it is for a small business owner to overlook all those $20s when their payroll depends on it.
    So show some grace, accept that we are all in this together, and be willing to take one for the team. If we each "suck it up" on the small scale, our small businesses like this can carry on.
    After all, which would you prefer? You lose $20 and still get to shoot when this is all over, or you (and everyone else) keeps that $20 and the range is forced to close, leaving you nowhere to shoot?

:thumbsup:
    I have yet to visit Point Blank, how well do you like it (when its open :draw:)

I've only been to 4 different indoor ranges, and it is clean with professional staff.
    I enjoy it immensely.
    Besides a regular $35/mo. membership (& one a level above for $60), they have one for $20/mo. (only for M-F) which is good.
    Perfect for me being retired: I never went during the weekend anyway b/c of so busy.

We are doing this with everything we can. Many small businesses that we use for various things -- if we can afford to, we are not worrying about our small monthly fee. Especially if doing so allows the business to keep their employees supported.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I travel for work and have been to the Shoot Point Blank ranges in Merrillville, Greenwood, Carmel, Blue Ash, OH, and Dayton, OH. The memberships are good at all of their locations. Every range I have been to has been clean, and well ventilated. I have run into friendly salespeople at them all. If you shoot more than once a month the $20 membership is a great deal. If you want to try guns from the rental case the $40 membership includes free rentals, weekend shooting, a free guest and 5% off guns and ammo.

Memberships are discounted for active and retired military and first responders.

I am not associated with SPB, just a customer.

crazygunner1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Kokomo
    At this point in time let all stay safe at home. After everything is died down and we can walk freely again, then we can all go to our respective range. I miss shooting myself and I can't wait for all this to be put behind me and I can enjoy myself again. I love the firearm life!.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I am a member at two small outdoor ranges and one indoor range. I just renewed my membership at all three. I live in the country so most often I plink in my back yard.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Our range is only open from noon to 6, ammo sales and transfers only, no shooting. I worked Wednesday Thursday and Friday, it is absolutely mind blowing to me that there are so many people who seem completely oblivious to what is going on and either show up or call wanting to use the range, then seem surprised and frustrated that the range is closed. YOU CANNOT TURN ON THE TV OR LOG ON THE INTERNET WITHOUT HEARING ABOUT IT, HOW THE HELL CAN YOU NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?????

One guy asked “well, when will you reopen”? He didn’t seem like he got the joke when I told him our crystal ball was out for repair and we wouldn’t have it back till early next week.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm lucky.
    I have access to a 50 yard outdoor range that is open whenever I want it to be.
    It's in my brothers front yard, and only 10 minutes from my front door.

I also have 50 acres I can shoot on, but it's an hour away from home.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm lucky.
    I have access to a 50 yard outdoor range that is open whenever I want it to be.
    It's in my brothers front yard, and only 10 minutes from my front door.
    I also have 50 acres I can shoot on, but it's an hour away from home.

You are now the envy of most of INGO. :thumbsup:

Yep, my backyard range is always open.

In my Senior year of college in Searcy, AR (1973-74) I could go outside and shoot practically off my front porch.
    Convenient for a function check.

I was always afraid to try that. I heard it hurts...is that true?
    The club I belong to has an outdoor range 12 minutes from my door. Always open, rarely crowded.

I have been interested to find an outdoor range to frequent.
    The Marion County Fish & Game at 7052 Crawfordsville Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46214 is only about 30 minutes from me.
    I have wanted to get signed up for it when retired (it has been since last June, 2019) & feels like 3 yrs.
    I have been there with members once for some steel shooting
    practice & twice getting some rifle instruction.
    Noone is around during the day while I'm there to talk about joining, so I've just not got around to doing it.
    I have questions about a class requirement.
    Don't know whether any of the 2-3 classes I have taken at Point Blank, or the all-day class in Columbus, IN (with Coach here on INGO) would be enough or whether it is a class that is indigenous to MCF&G only?
    They have the Friday Night Steel which has been an interest ever since I've done it 3 times at different ranges.

I went to another range with a member, Fall Creek Valley Conservation, 1204 County Rd 610 S, Markleville, IN, and it was :45+ from my house.

I have an old retired teacher friend that has always wanted me to come up to Anderson to join one up there that was ridiculously inexpensive.

All that is on hold now.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My outdoor range is closed currently.
    Gonna head to an indoor range shortly for a 30 minute session.
    This is the problem! People refuse to take things seriously and go on with their normal things. Why risk it? Is it that critical that you have to go shoot, and encounter others who may infect you or you infect them?

I’m a gun guy, I work in the industry, I get it, it sucks being stuck at home, but damn!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    This is the problem! People refuse to take things seriously and go on with their normal things. Why risk it? Is it that critical that you have to go shoot, and encounter others who may infect you or you infect them?

I’m a gun guy, I work in the industry, I get it, it sucks being stuck at home, but damn!

Agree 100%. Good job Tom

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    There is another thread going on now about FTF transfers on this forum but it all comes down to the same thing. The person going out is not the only one affected if they get sick there family is affected also. Seems kind of selfish to me.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I don't HAVE to shoot, but, I WANT to shoot.
    Since I'm retired, I have alot of time for reloading and that's what I have been doing quite a bit of lately.
    The problem is, with the ranges closed, there is no where to test my loads.
    So, since I have 5 acres, I decided to build my own, outdoor range.
    It's 75 yards, with an 8ft. high x 8 ft wide, double sandbag deep berm, backed up with 4x4 timbers behind the sand.
    Total cost is about $550 for materials and 3 to 4 weeks of work, filling and stacking sandbags.
    But, I can now shoot whenever I want.
    It is nice to be able to velocity test my reloads as soon as I make them, find my velocity nodes, eliminate the non-consistent loads, before I go to the range.
    I won't say that accuracy checks at 75 yds is as good as, say 200 yds, but, it will certainly get me in the ball park.
    When it's time to verify longer distance accuracy checks, well, that may have to wait until the longer, ranges reopen.

Anyway, that's my solution to this problem.

Update...
    I thought I would throw a picture into the post.
    I just finished with a few, minor, tweaks, and now it's pretty much the way I want it.
    The only thing left is a 4x8 sheathing in front of the bags to staple my targets to, I had been using saw horses, they work, but, not so well.

View attachment 87372

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Hopefully this ends soon and I get some time in, if not, we have a Michigan family cabin trip scheduled for August on our own family property, unless her highness the Governor up there bans that too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Point Blank in Greenwood next week is going to extend its range hours to 12pm to 7pm.
    I was there again at 10am, my 5th day in a row (they had hours from 10am-12pm at 1/2 hours increments.
    I got anywhere from the whole 2 hours in to at least an hour with some days 1.5 hours in.

Been "dialing in" the scopes on my RPR & 10/22 (finished that the last 2 days).
    Dialed in a new Dagger Defense red dot adjusting the open sights to a couple of other guns I picked up the last month.

Between the range, good weather lately for driving the convertible, to bicycle rides, I have kept my sanity.
    I went for a 100 mile, 2 hr. drive Saturday out in the country down around Route 44. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom