• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm trying to remember if the clerk put the make, model, and serial number on my background check paperwork or not, when I purchased my shotgun from Dicks Sporting Goods. Seem to remember that he did, but not positive. Seeing as this form I filled out is a federal form, and the store has a FFL, making such records auditable, I was curious as to whether or not they auditors were actually doing this or not. Wouldn't surprise me if they were doing it when they weren't supposed to.

brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I'm trying to remember if the clerk put the make, model, and serial number on my background check paperwork or not, when I purchased my shotgun from Dicks Sporting Goods.

NO

The info given to NICS is as follows:

Name
    Place of Birth
    Height/Weight/Gender
    Date of Birth
    SSN (Optional)
    UPIN (If they have one)
    Race
    State of Residence
    Citizenship
    Misc PRefix

The info on the gun (checkbox)
    Handgun
    Longun
    Other

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ok, so here's a silly question....what's stopping the Feds from just going into say Gandermountain and making copies of all the paperwork that store has on gun sales, and creating their own data base?

Federal law.

Federal law? Like such a silly thing has ever stopped the "federal government" from doing what they wanted to do?

Scutter is correct, it is unlawful for them to do that, but you are also correct that it's possible. Further, I recently heard that ATF agents were, in fact, going in and photocopying 4473 forms; what they're doing with them is up for debate, as is the veracity of that report.

Blessings,
    Bill

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    No paperwork is required. However it is illegal to sell to someone who is legally prohibited from owning one. The criteria you use to decipher that is up to you.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    New to the site ,but long time 1 gun owner. My ? Is i just bought a sig p250 this week brand new from Gander Mt. As soon as i get to 50 posts i will be listing it for sale or possible trade. If a FTF meeting is struck , how do i go about getting my gun out from under my name and into the new owner?

Sry for the newbie type ?

So why did you buy it if your just going to sell it? Am I missing something?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    No i will be up front about it as i also can provide the reciept for proof of purchase. I relize i will lose some money on the deal as i jumped at the sale too fast and should of done some better research. Oh well you live and you learn

It happens, at least you're in the right place now to find correct fair prices.

Top Bottom