• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    is it a bad idea to put a gun safe in a garage, ive bought things to absorb moisture out of the safe, but in the winter the temp drops to around 50 degrees in garage, can this cause rust???? should a safe be inside house???? dos the temp even matter if the guns are dry????

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    As high as 50 degrees w/ moisture eradicators I wouldn't sweat it too much. Maybe be a bit liberal (watch the lightning!) with oil. If you frequently move the weapons from hot/cold/hot/cold, though, that may be an issue as condensation *COULD* build at a 20+ degree gradient.

-Dobber

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I look at your question this way:

1.) There are many products on the market that can address your rust concern. And, no, I believe as long as the guns are dry, the temp in your garage will never get down low enough to affect them.

2.) Most every good gun safe I've ever ran across provides holes in the bottom to secure said safe to whatever it is sitting on. To me, an unsecured safe in the garage is only one chain & a pickup truck away from disappearing from my possesion. Think about the videos of crazy people crashing into convenience stores, throwing a chain around the ATM and driving off..

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Think about the videos of crazy people crashing into convenience stores, throwing a chain around the ATM and driving off..

Crazy people? Intelligent is more like it. That's certainly how I'd do it. Your guns are safe from rust...BUT make sure to keep them safe from theft too. IndyJohn had a great reminder there.

-Dobber

Popeye81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Im not a fan of gun safes anyplace where they can be easily seen. The less people know about what I have in my home the better.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I look at your question this way:

1.) There are many products on the market that can address your rust concern. And, no, I believe as long as the guns are dry, the temp in your garage will never get down low enough to affect them.

2.) Most every good gun safe I've ever ran across provides holes in the bottom to secure said safe to whatever it is sitting on. To me, an unsecured safe in the garage is only one chain & a pickup truck away from disappearing from my possesion. Think about the videos of crazy people crashing into convenience stores, throwing a chain around the ATM and driving off..

What do you mean by dry? No oil on them? I would think you would want a protective coating of oil on them to prevent rust.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A friend of mine built a closet in his garage and put his safe in it. With a random break-in, the Burglar can't get it anyway. Unless you hang out with Crackheads, IMO I wouldn't sweat it.

Gary Clay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    With a gun safe in the garage, you may need to take a little extra care of the guns but it can be done.
    You can install a Gun Safe Dehumidifier.
    Anchor the gun safe to the floor.
    Build a wall around the gun safe to look like a utility closet with the opening away from the street.
    Install an alarm on the garage door.
    See if you can run the house heat/AC to it.

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    I just ordered a Johnson safe and I am putting it in the garage. It will be sitting on two pieces of treated lumber about an inch thick. It will be bolted to the floor with four bolts through the treated lumber and into the concrete. It's gonna be kind of tucked in but I plan on putting a sheet or possibly even a custom fitted cover over it so it will not be seen when the garage door is open. I will only uncover or open the safe with the garage door closed. It has a Golden Rod dehumidifier system with a humidistat. That will take care of any moisture/corrosion issues. With my safe weighing in around 1300-1400 pounds empty and being bolted down will make it secure enough for me to sleep well at night. The random burglar isn't gonna get into it or take it. It will take a planned and concentrated effort to get inside it or remove it from my garage IMHO.

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    As the previous post suggested I second the Golden Rod. My safe is in the house but in a room that stays 50 and sometime lower in the winter. I have had the same Golden Rod in it for 24 years. Never had any issues with the Rod or Rust.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have my safe in the garage for a few years now. I have it disguised but plan to build a cabinet some day.

As for rust. I use liberal amounts of oil. The ones I don't shoot much I put in Silicone Gun Sleeves. I also have dessicant, Damp Rid, and a heat stick in the safe in an attempt to stop moisture.

Its also lag bolted to the wall.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Golden rod heaters are pretty nice. Since I am pretty frugal (ie:cheap) I just use a 15 watt incandesent light bulb. It makes enough heat to keep the safe dry and you generally need a light in your safe anyway. Most safes have a hole in them somewhere that a cord can pass though. Good Luck

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What do you mean by dry? No oil on them? I would think you would want a protective coating of oil on them to prevent rust.

No, No. By dry I was referring to not humid. I tend to only lubricate the moving parts of my firearms and I don't use oil; Tetra-grease is my preference. And I don't oil down the exterior metal parts but I do run silicone down the barrel if I don't expect to shoot it in the near future.

Gun Grease, Tetra, 1 oz.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    No, No. By dry I was referring to not humid. I tend to only lubricate the moving parts of my firearms and I don't use oil; Tetra-grease is my preference. And I don't oil down the exterior metal parts but I do run silicone down the barrel if I don't expect to shoot it in the near future.

Gun Grease, Tetra, 1 oz.

Very low humidity in the winter around here. It is those hot humid days of summer that would worry me.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    i used to have my safe in my garage for 2 years,i used huge desiccant packs that come in motorcycle crates for the moisture with no problems i just put a little extra oil on everything like some have said. i put it on some sturdy wood so it wasn't on the ground in case the floor got wet.

In terms of hiding it, some garages do not face the road mine does not. but if someone is gonna blast through your garage door to take it pretty sure the will not have a problem going into the house to get it.

Just because someone sees a gun safe doesn't mean they turn into a thief. you would have to have a thief by your house when the garage was open. that my friend would be my bigger concern.:rockwoot:

this is just my opinion definetly don't need any arguments as i know there are some probably just waiting to jump on.

Top Bottom